Less Preseason Games Better or Worse For Teams ?

T master

There's a lot of talk around the last preseason game of each yr on talk shows around the league about adding regular season games & taking a couple of games away from the preseason . Yesterday i even heard one talk show host say add 2 games to the regular season & give players another bye week then make it mandatory that the big name players have to sit out 1 of the added games as to not get hurt ? brilliant !

One big thing about this controversy that i don't get is, how will the coaches determine if the rookies can play against vets at the NFL speed & do well if they have 2 less

games ? (Because they say game speed is different than practice speed)  Even the players say they get tired of practicing against the guys on their own team & welcome the change of the preseason to hit some one different. I know there is always the threat of injury which is part of the equation but a lot of teams are now sitting their team Vets like Shady & Kyle !

Then if you add to this like in the Bills situation this yr adding a new OC that is implementing a new scheme how will that work out given less games to try & put some of these concepts in ? I know a lot of the preseason is pretty vanilla but you here of (especially when guys hold out) that they come in in shape but have to work their way into "Game Shape" !

Isn't that part of the preseason too getting into game shape ? Guys now days work out all year long as they should given the amount of money they make they need to eat, breath, sleep, & S**T football all year round in my eyes if there is any justification for the money they make .

But last year when Laveon Bell held out & got into the Steelers camp they talked how he wasn't in "Game Shape" & had to play himself into game shape . Then didn't get there until a couple of weeks into the season ! 

I also heard these talk show hosts say that the 4th preseason game isn't up to NFL standards & that would be another reason to make the preseason 2 games shorter but the reason why the last game isn't up to "NFL standards" is it's a game of players with less experience to get some tape on them to see if they can be coached into NFL shape & with out that tape & playing time to determine that how will those type of things be figured out ?

Now with the new developmental league starting that is more than likely the plan to do away with some games so the owners can charge for 2 more games when it comes to selling their product to TV that would insure more playing/developmental time for those that might have a chance of making a team . if they do add games which i hope they don't they need to add more players to the active roster too ! 

Personally i think if it ain't broke don't fix it but some how the powers that be will continue to make changes to things that could make the game we all use to love & couldn't wait to see each week a thing of the past like MNF !! 

Bash away Bills fans !! Go Bills !!

Edited by T master

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It is broke. 

get rid of the preseason. How come college with more players, less experienced players need Zero preseason games to get ready for a season?

Could be why they don't know how to play at the NFL level or speed when they get drafted & need a yr or more before the game comes to them just a thought ...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Could be why they don't know how to play at the NFL level or speed when they get drafted & need a yr or more before the game comes to them just a thought ...

Doesnt matter. Their season losses mean more than an NFL loss. Lose One and they are just about done. Lose two and no chance at the championship. Yet there is no Preseason. 

There is a very easy solution to this entire thing. 

Get rid of the Preseason completely, go to 18 games regular season. 

Expand rosters to between  60-70 allowing all players active on game day. 

And maybe even add a week or two of camp. 

Nothing good can come out of Preseason ONLY BAD. 

57 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It is broke. 

get rid of the preseason. How come college with more players, less experienced players need Zero preseason games to get ready for a season?

depends on how you look at it from fan viewpoints...

the college hardcore fan/alum/season ticket holder has a tendency to care only about conference games and the bowl game they are going to be attending, no matters how much it might get ignored by the rest of the country

so the first four games are considered an exhibition season

i went to dozens of games for a powerhouse school in a top conference from 1999 to 2008 and they focused mainly on the conference situation, even with a few chances at a "mythical national championship"

(i never really bought that though...)

and going to dozens of NCAA Saturday/ NFL Sunday road trips, the diff is far larger than any other pro sport against its "farm systems"

i try to keep the two game separate because they are so different. each has its own rewards for a fan

Edited by row_33

47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It is broke. 

College doesn't have a draft or free agency. Honestly teams like Alabama, Florida etc. can attract the players they want that fit their system.

The pro game is just way more complex due to salary caps etc. It's harder to build a roster with depth without seeing what they do with the pads on. Sometimes an unknown player needs preseason to launch a HOF career.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Doesnt matter. Their season losses mean more than an NFL loss. Lose One and they are just about done. Lose two and no chance at the championship. Yet there is no Preseason. 

I wouldn't use the college system as the standard. It all depends when you lose that one or two games. Lose it at the start of the season and your fine, lose it towards the end and you're hosed.

Also having 18 regular season games is just crazy talk. That would mean that a wild card team that makes it to the Super Bowl would play 21 games (that if we still give them a bye week). For me that's a little much. I'm not sure that Shady or Kyle could hold up to that level of physical toll.

I dunno, but that's a lot to ask. I don't want the Super Bowl being like playing fantasy football in week 17 when all your started aren't playing ?

53 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And maybe even add a week or two of camp. 

Nothing good can come out of Preseason ONLY BAD. 

I agree with some of this. I don't need the 18 games, but I know the owners aren't just going to turn away that money.

For me, ideally, it'd be just get rid of preseason, extend camp and just play the effin 16 games.

But realistically, you're idea might be the most workable scenario. That's if the TV Revenue of 18 vs 16 games can off set the missing revenue of the other 2 games. Which I believe it really could.

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

College doesn't have a draft or free agency. Honestly teams like Alabama, Florida etc. can attract the players they want that fit their system.

The pro game is just way more complex due to salary caps etc. It's harder to build a roster with depth without seeing what they do with the pads on. Sometimes an unknown player needs preseason to launch a HOF career.

Football is football. Again nothing but bad comes out of Preseason 

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I wouldn't use the college system as the standard. It all depends when you lose that one or two games. Lose it at the start of the season and your fine, lose it towards the end and you're hosed.

Also having 18 regular season games is just crazy talk. That would mean that a wild card team that makes it to the Super Bowl would play 21 games (that if we still give them a bye week). For me that's a little much. I'm not sure that Shady or Kyle could hold up to that level of physical toll.

I dunno, but that's a lot to ask. I don't want the Super Bowl being like playing fantasy football in week 17 when all your started aren't playing ?

Then go to 17 games. Or just scrap Preseason all together with no additional games (wont happen $$$). 

But PreSeason does nothing that the 100s of reps getting at camp. Only bad comes from it. 

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree with some of this. I don't need the 18 games, but I know the owners aren't just going to turn away that money.

For me, ideally, it'd be just get rid of preseason, extend camp and just play the effin 16 games.

But realistically, you're idea might be the most workable scenario. That's if the TV Revenue of 18 vs 16 games can off set the missing revenue of the other 2 games. Which I believe it really could.

Want another revenue stream. Sell broadcast rights to Training Camp and OTA practices as well

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Football is football. Again nothing but bad comes out of Preseason 

Then go to 17 games. Or just scrap Preseason all together with no additional games (wont happen $$$). 

But PreSeason does nothing that the 100s of reps getting at camp. Only bad comes from it. 

Want another revenue stream. Sell broadcast rights to Training Camp and OTA practices as well

For the most part I agree overall with what you are saying. But I do think some good can come from pre season.

You really get to see your depth players perform and to see what they are made of. In some cases I don't think camp reps provide that. Some guys are just gamers and need to play in a game in order to reach their full value.

Look at Rus Wilson in 2012. If there was no pre season, he does not start that year and who knows when he would have played his first game. Same as Victor Cruz with the Giants as he was on the bubble just to make the team. Many more examples as well.

I think 2 games instead of 4 would be most ideal. But as you said that won't even happen because of the money factor.

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

For the most part I agree overall with what you are saying. But I do think some good can come from pre season.

You really get to see your depth players perform and to see what they are made of. In some cases I don't think camp reps provide that. Some guys are just gamers and need to play in a game in order to reach their full value.

Look at Rus Wilson in 2012. If there was no pre season, he does not start that year and who knows when he would have played his first game. Same as Victor Cruz with the Giants as he was on the bubble just to make the team. Many more examples as well.

I think 2 games instead of 4 would be most ideal. But as you said that won't even happen because of the money factor.

I get what you are staying but I just dont agree with it. It wasnt like Russell Wilson and Cruz were not performing in Practice. 

My point is your season is never made by these games however it can be lost. 

Look at us say Kyle was done for the year, Allen done for the year or McCarron with his shoulder. 

All preason is anymore is a revenue stream. 

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

It is broke. 

...do you know the parameters/rules regarding practice sessions at collegiate level?.............

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...do you know the parameters/rules regarding practice sessions at collegiate level?.............

Yes I know they can practice more. Doesnt matter. There is NOTHING you get from Preseason Games that you cannot in a Scrimmage. 

Nothing good comes from Preseason Football. 

I'd like to see three preseason games and an 18 week season with 2 bye weeks.  One the full two week bye. One week and a half bye with you playing the following Thursday night against a team also coming off a bye week.

Edited by Doc Brown

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes I know they can practice more. Doesnt matter. There is NOTHING you get from Preseason Games that you cannot in a Scrimmage. 

Nothing good comes from Preseason Football. 

...yes it DOES matter.....if you're going to eliminate pre-season games, then you have to named the current CBA rules that put significant limitations on practices, namely duration, type, contact/non-contact, etc.....pre-season is an audition....how else could you do it??........need some way to go from 90 to 53......BTW, the "new way" sucks IMO..........

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yes it DOES matter.....if you're going to eliminate pre-season games, then you have to named the current CBA rules that put significant limitations on practices, namely duration, type, contact/non-contact, etc.....pre-season is an audition....how else could you do it??........need some way to go from 90 to 53......BTW, the "new way" sucks IMO..........

You add practice time with elimination of Preseason football. So you lose 12 hours of most players standing around doing nothing. 

So add some more practice time. These players learn more in practice because they get slot more reps.