Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

and they had seemingly the best offense 

I never saw the problem with this.  Might have been hard, but it worked.  Didn't fit in with Club Rex I guess.  the firing mystifies me to this day.  Especially after a game where the O scored 31 and the D gave up more.

Rex worked in mysterious ways.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's an awful point.

Not sure why it's even being done. Peterman will be a career back up. If that.

1. It's a very relevant and cogent point, actually. If the greatest players are capable of flaming out in games early in their careers, then certainly a 5th round nobody is capable of it and it shouldn't cause anyone to pass final judgement on the kid until he's had a few more games in the regular season. Now, if he goes out there and blows up a few more times -- then all bets are off. You guys were right and I'll happily agree with you that this kid probably won't have much of a career in the NFL. 

2. That's my projection for him, as well. He looks like he has a "high-end backup/fringe starter" ceiling to him, like Fitz, McCown, or Tyrod at best.  At least we agree on that. I'm talking to the "Peterman has no business being on a football field ever again" crowd, however. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last preseason, Peterman was 43 of 79, 54% completion for 113 YPG.

This year for 3 games, Peterman is 33 for 41, 80.5% completion for 143 YPG.

(per NFL.com  stats)

There are two kinds of statisticians - Baysian statisticians and the other kind :).  The former include all available information into their calculation of odds - which would include preseason stats.  Yes, overall, the odds of a late round QB succeeding in the NFL are poor, but that's quite a preseason improvement between last year and this.  I'd like to see the odds on 5th round picks that are given a chance and show that kind of improvement between their 1st and 2nd season.

While I'm no way a Peterman fan, I can't understand the reluctance to give the man props for the way he's played through TC and preseason.  My main concern about Peterman is whether he's yet learned to recognize his limitations, throw the ball away, and live to play another down.  Because he's spent parts of preseason throwing against next month's burger flippers, that remains TBD in my opinion.

My man -- I couldn't have said it any better myself. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

not sure where you get this from. Bills were top 1/3 in the league in scoring in 2015 and 2016.  Then something changed and scoring went way down. It wasn't Hotrod.

Shady also dropped 1.4 yards from his ypc last year btw.

Couldn't possibly be that defenses & defensive coordinators were very quick to catch up to and solve Tyrod's game, could it? Could it be that he was a very limited player and didn't possess the necessary passing skills to adapt to and overcome what defenses were throwing at him?

Could it be that defensive coordinators realized that Taylor presented no threat as a passer, so he brought 9 guys in to stop the run? Maybe that was why 25 lost a yard-and-a-half per carry?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question: Do you think the changes the OC made between 2016 and 2017 had any effect on defenses knowing how to stop Hotrod in 2017?

Hotrod has always sucked.     The OL, Shady, and Gilleslie were pretty good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't think that's true at all. If he turns into a quality QB, nobody will remember that except to say "young QB's can overcome bad play. Just look at Peterman!"

If Peterman does nothing in the league, nobody will care or remember that he threw 5 picks. He'll disappear into obscurity.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Couldn't possibly be that defenses & defensive coordinators were very quick to catch up to and solve Tyrod's game, could it? Could it be that he was a very limited player and didn't possess the necessary passing skills to adapt to and overcome what defenses were throwing at him?

Could it be that defensive coordinators realized that Taylor presented no threat as a passer, so he brought 9 guys in to stop the run? Maybe that was why 25 lost a yard-and-a-half per carry?

Took 'em a while to catch on I guess.  Even so, in his last year 8 out of the 14 he faced still hadn't figured it out.

He wasn't the greatest QB in the world but we could win with him which is more than I can say about any other Bills QBs this century.

Just win baby.

Well, one thing that should be obvious by now is that McD obviously likes Peterman and doesn't mind giving him the ball,

regardless of what any of the detractors on this board say. At the end of the season in 2017, McBean was quick to let Dennison go,

but they've still got high hopes for the kid.

On a further note, McD doesn't seem to be the best game manager in the league. He's a good administrator and leader,

but some of his game decisions are curious, such as the Peterman experiment. If you want a bad analogy, McD comes

off like Tyrod with the ball. McD knows what he should do, but hesitates, and sometimes doesn't do anything.

He's no Bill Parcells...............

On 8/28/2018 at 10:18 PM, Dr. K said:

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

He could get six picks in a relief effort when no other QBs are available and cannot be pulled.

Isn't sixpicks more catchy?

2 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

1. It's a very relevant and cogent point, actually. If the greatest players are capable of flaming out in games early in their careers, then certainly a 5th round nobody is capable of it and it shouldn't cause anyone to pass final judgement on the kid until he's had a few more games in the regular season. Now, if he goes out there and blows up a few more times -- then all bets are off. You guys were right and I'll happily agree with you that this kid probably won't have much of a career in the NFL. 

2. That's my projection for him, as well. He looks like he has a "high-end backup/fringe starter" ceiling to him, like Fitz, McCown, or Tyrod at best.  At least we agree on that. I'm talking to the "Peterman has no business being on a football field ever again" crowd, however. 

The difference between say Manning or Luck having an awful game and Peterman is that you stick with Manning and Luck because they were top of the draft talent that were projected to be franchise QBs in the NFL. They get a much longer rope then a 5th round draft pick who's scouting report had him pegged as a potential future backup QB. Sure he could surprise all the pro scouts and end up even a fringe starter, but that isnt likely to happen. 

It's very rare we will ever see another Brady, a franchise guy drafted in the 5th or later, or someone from a minor league make it big like Kurt Warner. 

Think he has high end backup/fringe starter ability is a bit of wishful thinking just because of his play in the preseason and training camp. And theres very few here that truly believe he shouldn't be in the league, most just dont think he is going to be anything more then mediocre at best and isnt anything special that cant be found on waivers during the season.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He could get six picks in a relief effort when no other QBs are available and cannot be pulled.

Isn't sixpicks more catchy?

Nathan "Sixpix" Peterman

Just kind of rolls off the tongue.............

But it would have to happen in a regular season game.........preseason doesn't count.

Dan Marino will never live down throwing 20 picks his senior year at Pitt.

Brett Favre will never live down throwing a bunch of picks his first year at GB.

If a young QB with a strong arm throws a pick, dump him NOW!!!!

Peterman has clearly worked very hard and looked very good last game.  He should be the starter...

On 8/28/2018 at 10:35 PM, Success said:

Didn’t Peyton Manning have a 6 pick game?

I think he did, I know big Ben had a 5 int game last year. The worst qb display I saw was that Geno Smith gem where he got pulled before the end the 1st qrt against us

2 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

I think he did, I know big Ben had a 5 int game last year. The worst qb display I saw was that Geno Smith gem where he got pulled before the end the 1st qrt against us

How about 5 int in one half?? Which hall of famer has done that?