NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV

Hi everyone - I have DirecTV in Richmond, VA, so no issue for me, but I'm trying to find a way for my dad who is now homebound to be able to watch the games.  I have read a number of articles and it is all very confusing.  I don't have experience with Roku or Firestick or any of those.  Does anyone on the forum have experience with streaming the ticket through any devices (even though you could get a dish at your house but don't want to)???

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Richmond_Bills said:

Hi everyone - I have DirecTV in Richmond, VA, so no issue for me, but I'm trying to find a way for my dad who is now homebound to be able to watch the games.  I have read a number of articles and it is all very confusing.  I don't have experience with Roku or Firestick or any of those.  Does anyone on the forum have experience with streaming the ticket through any devices (even though you could get a dish at your house but don't want to)???

My dad doesn’t have directv but i do. I have the nfl ticket. He logs into NFL ticket on his laptop or phone and uses my email and password and it works for him. I can’t be logged in at the same time, but it didn’t matter because I’m usually watching on tv and don’t need to log in. Hope that makes sense!

• Like (+1) 1

Join the Bills Mafia Facebook group... someone always streams it there.

Another option is to install NordVPN on his computer, connect to one of the VPN servers in Europe and signup for the NFL Game Pass and then stream the games live through that.

Here is article with list of compatible devices. Just need to make sure your father has a decent enough internet connection to support streaming video. No dish is required. Just making sure whatever device you are using is connected to your network whether it be via WIFI or hardwired via Ethernet. 

https://nflsthelp.directv.com/hc/en-us/articles/205157345-Compatible-devices-and-browsers-with-the-NFL-SUNDAY-TICKET-app-NFLSUNDAYTICKET-TV

If your father doesn't need to watch the game live. NFL gamepass is not a bad option as well. I picked up subscription for $20 from Ebay which is legit for the entire 2018 season. I also see people selling nfl sunday ticket streaming packages for cheap but I can't vouch for any of the sellers.

Edited by billieve420
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Roku allows you three separate devices on one account.   So I would get him a Roku, and then indicate you're a DTV subscriber on the setup and it should give you NFL ticket without you having to pay Roku the $200 for the NFL ticket.

Another option, which I just did, is to cancel directv ripoff and save yourself a few grand per year, get a roku and sign up for Sling TV (full package $40 per month gives you tons of channels) and the NFL ticket which will cost you $200 as mentioned.  You can buy a second roku for your dad, register it under your account (you can have up to three on one account) and bring it over to his place.  These new Roku remote controls are awesome, work a thousand times better than the stupid apple tv or firestick crap remotes, and I like it as much as my old genie remote which is the gold standard.

Now he basically has free tv, netflix, locals, and of course the NFL ticket.  You could do that on one more account and maybe split the NFL ticket cost with your buddy or something.  This streaming stuff is basically like the old days when you could register 5 directv receivers to one house and then split the bill 5 ways with your family and friends and everyone gets loaded TV for a few hundie a year.

But even if you don't get a third Roku, you'd still be saving money AND hooking up your old man nicely, and that goes a long way when you get to the pearly gates I'm told.

For those of you who think the big corp's deserve more money...flame away

1 hour ago, Richmond_Bills said:

I use a Rirstick and Roku to access my Sunday Ticket account. Hers the deal. DTV will allow one remote login to watch games. So you can watch the Bills game in your living room via the dish, your Pops can watch in his living room via the Ticket streaming on a Firestick/Roku. Now, if someone else tries to login on another device, thats will not work.

So its one login at home at one via stream anyhwere.

Hope that helps

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Roku allows you three separate devices on one account.   So I would get him a Roku, and then indicate you're a DTV subscriber on the setup and it should give you NFL ticket without you having to pay Roku the $200 for the NFL ticket.

Another option, which I just did, is to cancel directv ripoff and save yourself a few grand per year, get a roku and sign up for Sling TV (full package $40 per month gives you tons of channels) and the NFL ticket which will cost you $200 as mentioned.  You can buy a second roku for your dad, register it under your account (you can have up to three on one account) and bring it over to his place.  These new Roku remote controls are awesome, work a thousand times better than the stupid apple tv or firestick crap remotes, and I like it as much as my old genie remote which is the gold standard.

Now he basically has free tv, netflix, locals, and of course the NFL ticket.  You could do that on one more account and maybe split the NFL ticket cost with your buddy or something.  This streaming stuff is basically like the old days when you could register 5 directv receivers to one house and then split the bill 5 ways with your family and friends and everyone gets loaded TV for a few hundie a year.

But even if you don't get a third Roku, you'd still be saving money AND hooking up your old man nicely, and that goes a long way when you get to the pearly gates I'm told.

For those of you who think the big corp's deserve more money...flame away

you aint getting the Ticket without DTV...just aint happening.

I literally just came to the board to make a thread about NFL streaming services. I kept coming up with "NFL Gamepass" but that only gives you replays after the games.

Will definitely look into NFL Sunday Ticket! Thanks!

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Per their website: http://www.nfl.com/nflsundaytickettv

"NO SATELLITE REQUIRED"

14 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I use a Rirstick and Roku to access my Sunday Ticket account. Hers the deal. DTV will allow one remote login to watch games. So you can watch the Bills game in your living room via the dish, your Pops can watch in his living room via the Ticket streaming on a Firestick/Roku. Now, if someone else tries to login on another device, thats will not work.

So its one login at home at one via stream anyhwere.

Hope that helps

Lots of ways to get it, just have to be creative.  Remember your supposed "install address" and your billing address can be different locations.  Same way we all got around blackouts for all those years.  Just pick an install address at one of the universities or any local condo or apartment complex that doesn't allow DTV dishes and you're in.  Took me 5 minutes to find an address using whitepages.com.   Here's a list.

www.nflsundayticket.tv

Edited by Da webster guy

I have the DTV online Sunday Ticket (and have for years).  On the site it just asks if you can get DTV, you say no and it let's you get Sunday Ticket online.  

What's interesting is theoretically I could get DTV in my condo building, but they 1) won't let residents put up their own dish and 2) have some sort of contract with Dish Network so they ONLY offer that service.

I think it's like $250 this year, but has been totally worth it for me and that's despite the fact that the Bills v Pats are on TV here twice and I usually go to two games a year.  Still there are times when I'm on the road that it's been a lifesaver and totally worth the $$$!

I typically stream on my PS4 at home, or my laptop or phone on the road.  All work well, though as has been stated you can ONLY be logged into one device at a time.  For example, one time I was streaming on the PS4 at home, but had to go to an engagement - when I left, I forgot to turn off the PS4, it was still logged into ST, I couldn't watch on the phone, I nearly freaked out. :D

For me, totally worth the investment!  In fact, it's the reason I bought a PS4 a few years back - need that Bills fix!!

Or there's some other place you can always get the games for free, but not sure if you Redd..(about)..it?

Edited by Heitz

14 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Lots of ways to get it, just have to be creative.  Remember your supposed "install address" and your billing address can be different locations.  Same way we all got around blackouts for all those years.  Just pick an install address at one of the universities or any local condo or apartment complex that doesn't allow DTV dishes and you're in.  Took me 5 minutes to find an address using whitepages.com.   Here's a list.

www.nflsundayticket.tv

That makes sense on the install address, I have never tried that. 

Thanks for all of the great responses.  I definitely wouldn't be logged in on another device while he would be trying to watch.  So - if I understand (sorry I'm a little slow) - I can get him a Roku and sign in with my DirecTV login and password through that device and he can stream the games using Roku?

Pretty close to others have said already but what I do for my parents is I get the Sunday Ticket Max pack(or what ever they call it now) for online viewing add on.  They both have Android Samsung phones, got them a Chromecast.  Download Sundayticket app on phone, login with my acct then on sundays they hit chromecast cast to device icon on app and watch on there tv.  

Edited by Lagoon Blues

2 hours ago, Richmond_Bills said:

Dont have Direct TV but i stream Durex TV through the firestick and it has a section for all NFL games...$12.95 a month

25 minutes ago, Richmond_Bills said:

Thanks for all of the great responses.  I definitely wouldn't be logged in on another device while he would be trying to watch.  So - if I understand (sorry I'm a little slow) - I can get him a Roku and sign in with my DirecTV login and password through that device and he can stream the games using Roku?

https://nflst.directv.com/ROKU

Yes.   After you fire up his Roku you're going to want to download a bunch of channels apps.   Look for DirectvNow and download that channel app for him.  It will ask you username and password for your DTV account and you're good to go.  Inside that app you will see the NFL Sunday Ticket channel.   If you have any other pay channels on your own DTV account, do the same thing (HBOnow etc).  Also make sure he's got a Netflix username password (Netflix is already downloaded for you, just have to enter your sign in stuff). 

You should also download local channel apps.  They'll all use your dtv sign in.  Do it once and you're set. 

There's actually a netflix button on the Roku remote, the old folks love it.

• Like (+1) 1

Some variety of this approach has been stated above, but I will let you know a fairly easy way that I would recommend to get the games for your Dad:

1)  YOU sign up for DirecTV and Sunday Ticket.

2)  Buy a Chromecast dongle and hook it up to your Dad's TV through an HDMI port.  (I think these run about $35.)

3)  Download the "Sunday Ticket" app to an Android or Apple Phone (or Android or Apple Tablet) at your Dad's house.  (Free)

4)  When you are watching the game on TV at home, your Dad can open the Sunday Ticket App on his phone or tablet, logging in with YOUR DirecTV username and password.

5)  He can then watch the game on the phone/tablet OR he can click the "Cast" icon and it will cast onto the TV with the Chromecast attached.

I had not thought about this in the past, but I think I am going to do this very thing for MY Dad this season!  (Or my brother - they can fight over it or first come, first served!)