Mike Scopp Hacking it Up on National Radio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

On 8/21/2018 at 7:23 AM, Johnnycage46 said:

Agree on Jeremy White.  There are times in the AM show when I have to do a double take because I thought they moved Schopp to AM's with some of Jeremy's takes.  It is interesting to note (in my opinion anyway) that in both the morning and afternoon shows...when any of the hosts goes solo for one reason or another, they each seem to be nicer to callers and more patient/neutral in general.  It is almost as if the two duos feed off of each other and just create this bitter, angry, toxic environment. 

I WOULD stop listening all together but there really isn't any other Bills-focused daily shows (Bills Beat with Joe B and Matt Fairburn is good but only comes out every couple days...and I agree with many posters that Sal C. needs his own show!)

I like Howard, but jeremy talking sounds like someone scratching a chalkboard to my ears..

I like Schopp. The day he talked about how overrated culture is is an example of an interesting topic that nobody else at that station would think of. 

Nothing wrong or inaccuate about what he said there if you don’t have rose colored glasses on. 

Sal C is the worst. 

He’s a Bills homer who never calls out bad decisions of the past. 

Talk about a guy who talks down to the fans. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I like Schopp. The day he talked about how overrated culture is is an example of an interesting topic that nobody else at that station would think of. 

Nothing wrong or inaccuate about what he said there if you don’t have rose colored glasses on. 

I like Schoop too...I feel that people that get so bent out of shape over him don’t understand that he is a “radio personality” whose job it is to provoke conversation, which he does...if people are just looking for a “yes” man, perhaps John Murphy is more their flavor.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:54 PM, Rigotz said:

It's fine if you don't like Schopp... I don't like him either.

I also love Josh Allen.

But Josh Allen did not have a good handful of seasons at Wyoming. He didn't even make 1st team or 2nd team All Mountain West Conference at QB. All counting stats, Allen wasn't very good ... and his coach was the guy that coached Carson Wentz to a pretty dominant college career in a similarly bad conference.

The reason the Bills drafted him and some of us liked him is during the draft process and combine he got a lot better and showed improvement in mechanics ... and showed himself to be very coachable. Plus the obvious physical tools. If people strictly looked at his college career, he would be a 2nd round pick or later, at best. So ... Schopp is right in this case. There's a reason people were so angry when we drafted Allen, despite how high his ceiling is. 

This is not true.  He was the 2nd team MWC QB his first year as a D1 football player in 2016.  This led to him being named the MWC preseason player of the year in 2017.  This idea that he “wasn’t good in college” is just not accurate.  I watched every game he played as a college QB and went to four of them.  But anyway.  It doesn’t matter anymore.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sal C is the worst. 

See i never minded Schopp or anyones critical statements of the Bills. What I do mind is it is the afternoon sports show and more time than not they are talking about 

bachelorette, fantasy, betting, vacations to the lake, some random thing draft. 

There seems to be very little time from Schopp actually preparing to talk sports. And when they do they are very recycled takes. Hense why maybe give him a two hour Fantasy and Betting show. Maybe it will energize him and reignite the passion. 

And for those that want to listen to a show about his 20 fantasy teams can tune in. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sal C is the worst. 

I actually couldn't disagree more.  I think Sal C, while a homer to an extent is still very pragmatic.  Schopp just seems to think HE knows more about how to run an NFL team with his nerdy stats and analytics than actual NFL coaches and front offices.  I think his take on culture is way off base.  An example of how bad culture can be a factor in a team is likely what people are seeing in Hard Knocks this season.  The Browns culture seems to suck as far as discipline, accountability, etc.

If you start a new job and you come in late and you take extra long lunches and you leave early and maybe cut corners elsewhere as well and your boss doesn't even care, that is probably an example of where culture can be a relevant aspect of a workplace's (team's) success.  I don't think culture automatically equates to wins, but if you look at what McD has brought to the Bills and you think culture doesn't matter I honestly don't think you WANT to believe that culture matters (i.e. you are purposely down playing it to fit your original argument).

Just my take.

Also, I do NOT get why fans of a team X...don't like people who are homers (i.e. fans of team X)...isn't that the whole point...being one group who likes the same team.  Its so frustrating that some people seem to just want to be contrarian for the sake of it (i.e. Slopp...oops I meant Schopp).

Edited by Johnnycage46

14 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I actually couldn't disagree more.  I think Sal C, while a homer to an extent is still very pragmatic.  Schopp just seems to think HE knows more about how to run an NFL team with his nerdy stats and analytics than actual NFL coaches and front offices.  I think his take on culture is way off base.  An example of how bad culture can be a factor in a team is likely what people are seeing in Hard Knocks this season.  The Browns culture seems to suck as far as discipline, accountability, etc.

If you start a new job and you come in late and you take extra long lunches and you leave early and maybe cut corners elsewhere as well and your boss doesn't even care, that is probably an example of where culture can be a relevant aspect of a workplace's (team's) success.  I don't think culture automatically equates to wins, but if you look at what McD has brought to the Bills and you think culture doesn't matter I honestly don't think you WANT to believe that culture matters (i.e. you are purposely down playing it to fit your original argument).

Just my take.

Also, I do NOT get why fans of a team X...don't like people who are homers (i.e. fans of team X)...isn't that the whole point...being one group who likes the same team.  Its so frustrating that some people seem to just want to be contrarian for the sake of it (i.e. Slopp...oops I meant Schopp).

Again, imho it doesn’t matter if Schoop is right or wrong in his views or his approach...it’s simply entertainment...take it or leave it, but whatever you do, please don’t take it seriously.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Again, imho it doesn’t matter if Schoop is right or wrong in his views or his approach...it’s simply entertainment...take it or leave it, but whatever you do, please don’t take it seriously.

I can respect that approach but it's very hard to do that as he just has such an arrogant, crappy attitude.  I tuned in on the way home earlier this week to see if they had a guest on or if any news was breaking and a caller was telling his story about some potato chip thing Schopp and Bulldog had been talking about and the caller said something kind of embarrassing and finished his call by saying "ok, you guys can feel free to rip me limb from limb, I'll hang up and listen now"...and Schopp just HAD to respond with "Ok, THAT didn't need to be said...of COURSE we know we can comment on whatever we want".  What a crap person.  Did that NEED to be said?  I think all the listeners know its Schopp and Bulldog's show and they can say what they want but it just comes off as so arrogant. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I can respect that approach but it's very hard to do that as he just has such an arrogant, crappy attitude.  I tuned in on the way home earlier this week to see if they had a guest on or if any news was breaking and a caller was telling his story about some potato chip thing Schopp and Bulldog had been talking about and the caller said something kind of embarrassing and finished his call by saying "ok, you guys can feel free to rip me limb from limb, I'll hang up and listen now"...and Schopp just HAD to respond with "Ok, THAT didn't need to be said...of COURSE we know we can comment on whatever we want".  What a crap person.  Did that NEED to be said?  I think all the listeners know its Schopp and Bulldog's show and they can say what they want but it just comes off as so arrogant. 

Now I actually agree- it was kind of crappy how they responded, and if I do have a complaint, it is how dismissive they are with callers sometimes.

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Now I actually agree- it was kind of crappy how they responded, and if I do have a complaint, it is how dismissive they are with callers sometimes.

I actually think that boils it down for me.  Callers are sometimes nervous and aren't ready to be on air and they do NOT make it any easier.  It reminds me of athletes or other entertainers who couldn't give two @#$%@ about their fans...the fans MAKE you what you are (i.e. getting paid).

As the great Michael Scott once said...don't listen to your critics...listen to your fans!

Edited by Johnnycage46

3 hours ago, COTC said:

Ahh turn the channel. 

Not it as bad as Sal Cap.  The guy is always wrong. 

He's given me some good laughs this week, though, as he has literally been confused by a Mike Schopp question twice in two days, asking "I'm sorry, what now?" and making Schopp re-state the question in a manner that Sal could understand.

He does that fairly regularly actually.

Guy is a serious fan boy and just happy to have the access to the team/players that he has.  Never has a scoop, good insight, or an ability to accurately predict what the team might do.

:lol:

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

See i never minded Schopp or anyones critical statements of the Bills. What I do mind is it is the afternoon sports show and more time than not they are talking about 

bachelorette, fantasy, betting, vacations to the lake, some random thing draft. 

There seems to be very little time from Schopp actually preparing to talk sports. And when they do they are very recycled takes. Hense why maybe give him a two hour Fantasy and Betting show. Maybe it will energize him and reignite the passion. 

And for those that want to listen to a show about his 20 fantasy teams can tune in. 

In general, I'm hating that fantasy sports are now taking up more time on sports talk radio.  I can't stand the whole thing. 

And, by following Schoop on twitter, he seemed to be going some kind of existential crisis about some guy at his draft Thursday night who left or something...............I totally didn't get it, since I hate fantasy stuff, but it seemed like a big deal, he was tweeting about it so much.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I just can't stand this guy.  It is one thing to be as arrogant as this guy, it is another to be as arrogant and spew nonsense on national radio like you have a clue what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va92BPfqrcQ

Schopp is a hack that openly bashed the Allen pick for months.  He would have loved Lamar Jackson at 7 but bashes the Allen pick.  He is so clueless and arrogant.  "Pretty much lousy at Wyoming", what a freaking hack.  He had a 16-9 record as a starter at Wyoming.  The 3 previous seasons before that, they were a combined 11-25.  Wyoming is a perennial loser that has a few 1 and 2 win seasons sprinkled in over the last 20 years. 
Plus in their offense they run the ball a lot and when they throw, they throw deep.  It's not like the Big 12 where there is no defense and the QB's are throwing 40 passes a game (a lot of short screens) to Allen's 15-20 at Wyoming.  If Allen would have been in the Big 12, he would have thrown a lot more, his completion percentage would have been higher and his bad misses wouldn't have been as magnified.  Every college QB has those throws, the only reason everyone is bagging on Allen is he wasn't in an offense that threw a ton.  People see those a few highlights of his bad passes and look at this completion percentage and think well I guess he sucks.  Not realizing that actually watching the film matters. 

That's why all the scouts and top draft guru's had him going high and idiot radio personalities and uneducated fans thought he was a bust before he threw a pass at rookie camp.  That's why is completion percentage is lower.  That and he almost every team they play against has far superior talent at other positions.

I just had to post this.  Schopp saying Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming just shows how clueless he is.  They were 8-3 this year when Allen was in and he was great in winning their bowl game.  Wyoming was 0-2 without Allen last season and scored 24 points in the two games without him.  Which included a loss the San Jose State Spartans (2-11) whose only other win came against Cal Poly.  Without Allen last season, the Cowboys would have been lucky to win 4 games, but Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming" because one of the more famous local radio announcers has a cushy job that requires him to do almost nothing and he saw that Allen's completion percentage was below 60 so it's settled.  Is it too hard for someone who makes a living talking about sports to do a little research before they open their mouths and say something as idiotic as "pretty much lousy at Wyoming?"

I swear to God, I was about to download the radio.com app just before 3:00 today because I wanted to hear some football talk and I said to myself, you know what, these guys aren't good enough.  Man am I glad I didn't bother to do that.  I was proven right tonight when I got home and started searching youtube for videos of people talking about Allen starting and stumbled upon this. 

Pretty much lousy at Wyoming comment is at 4:16

Jim, is that you??

On 8/21/2018 at 1:31 AM, mykidsdad said:

Schopp was good when he was Rochester. I think he has just become an old crumudgeon, someone who is never happy about anything. And the fact that he brags about not watching Bills games? Wow. I don't care if they are glorified practices. There's value in watching, becuase there's news and insight in it. Maybe not a lot, but something. Sal goes to every practice. Does Shcopp think he's wasting his time, too? What an insult to Sal! And for my money, Sal's the best thing on the entire station. Give me someone who cares and has some insight, not the same old tired grumbling. When I go to the WGR podcasts, I look for Sal and special guests that seem interesting. Schopp is a black cloud. I hope he has a plan B for a career, because if what happened at TBN is any indication, WGR will have to clean house sooner or later. It's just getting to be too competitive in the radio business. I mean who on the radio is closer to Sully than Shcopp? Could the end be near? Who wants to hear the radio version of Sully every friggin' day? Not me.

Why has Sal not taken over that time slot is a question I've wondered for quite some time personally and still wonder. I'm in the NYC market and usually tuned into Francesa in the car. Say what you want about Francesa , but the guy is a sports junkie that truly provides quality insight (most of the time ). 

As the internet grew and I got turned onto WGR , I was appalled by Schopp and how such a miserable , intimidating (even his Co host bites his tounge in his presence) guy could have such an important time slot in a small but extremely passionate sports market. Then I heard Sal and on one of my first listens , said to myself, this guy blows Schopp out of the water in so many aspects on the radio. Call him a homer , but he's a Buffalo sports junkie and will speak on any topic if a caller has a solid point, even if it goes against his personal belief, in an intelligent and entertaining manner. 

There is only one thing that you need to know about Mike Schoop: After Ralph died and before Terry Pegula materialized as a potential bidder and it was a widely-held sentiment that the Bills would be bought and relocated, Schoop went on the air and stated that if he was a billionaire he wouldn't buy the team because they " just don't matter that much to me."

Now if I was the station manager I would have immediately terminated his contract and freed him up to follow his passions elsewhere.

Is there anyone on this board that wouldn't have saved the Bills if you had the billions to do so? 

I honestly think Schopp hates every person that calls in.  He almost never agrees with anyone that calls in.  He will either cut the call and then carry on making fun of them for the next 3-5 minutes or simply respond 'ok, next caller'.  As if that caller didn't say anything that he could tear them apart about so we're moving on to find that special someone.

My favorite thing that he loves to do.

Caller 1:  I have this point that goes against what you are saying

Schopp: You're dumb and I am cutting you off

*a few minutes go by*

Caller 2: I have this point that agrees with what you are saying

Schopp: Use caller 1's point against Caller 2 so I can cut them off and call them an idiot

Schopp: Let's talk about the mets and baseball cards for 20 minutes

Rinse and repeat

Howard Simon just rolls out of bed in the morning and goes on the air. I don’t think he says anything interesting. He doesn’t sound like a guy who does much of anything outside work. 

Jeremy White has pushed interesting narratives from time to time, challenged how conventional coaches are in football and hockey. He has understood how poor our QB play has been, how conservative our offenses have been. But this summer it has become a constant dialogue about his golf game. 

John Murphy, no interest at all. He’s a mouthpiece for the Bills. 

Schopp is by far the best host for trying to riddle out and test the logic of the Bills and Sabres Front Office decisions. He doesn’t forget things the Bills have said in the past and the shotgun/scattered/late to the party directions they go as a team. 

Chris Parker - a lot like Howard Simon. Been in Buffalo forever, but really is only able to take the talking points/structure Schopp provides and speak on it. 

Sal C, a non-stop motor mouth. A common fan who thinks and acts like he is an NFL insider. Anytime he can work in that he lived in Florida he does. He talks down to callers just as much as Schopp and White. “I will tell you ....”, “let’s go back to Coach McDermott said a year ago.....”