Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging - Jack's Grandson Released

Just now, buffaloaggie said:

Bills would make a huge mistake cutting O'Leary. He has the best hands on the team. His first catch was nice, out-battling a defender for a nice gain. Obviously, the TD was blown coverage, but he showed good balance despite getting caught up to by the defender, and still made it in the end zone. 

My question is what are the cap ramifications of trading or releasing Clay? Dude is a worthless blocker, and certainly doesn't offer millions of dollars in difference from the pass catching ability (or route running) of our other TEs

To the contrary, Clay is a very good blocker and a good all around TE who's easily the best the Bills have. 

Been having a hard time understanding why they would cut O'Leary. Feel like his lack of reps has more to do with him being locked into a spot, and coaches wanting to see more of Croom, Thomas and Lee to determine who they want to keep as #3 and #4 if the roster calls for it.

Sidenote: O'Leary is doing an autograph signing on September 11th, may be a little uncomfortable if he is cut.

Edited by thenorthremembers

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

To the contrary, Clay is a very good blocker and a good all around TE who's easily the best the Bills have. 

He sure didn't show it as he whiffed on a block during one of our first possessions, with Shady getting nailed for a loss. Like I said, the millions we pay this guy do not pay dividends. Obviously, from comments about teams not willing to take on his contract, he doesn't produce as he should, and I just don't see his standing out from any other TE that we have. 

Just now, buffaloaggie said:

He sure didn't show it as he whiffed on a block during one of our first possessions, with Shady getting nailed for a loss. Like I said, the millions we pay this guy do not pay dividends. Obviously, from comments about teams not willing to take on his contract, he doesn't produce as he should, and I just don't see his standing out from any other TE that we have. 

The opposing defense is going to make plays and while you may not see it, he's firmly established as the humber 1 TE.

15 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Bills would make a huge mistake cutting O'Leary. He has the best hands on the team. His first catch was nice, out-battling a defender for a nice gain. Obviously, the TD was blown coverage, but he showed good balance despite getting caught up to by the defender, and still made it in the end zone. 

My question is what are the cap ramifications of trading or releasing Clay? Dude is a worthless blocker, and certainly doesn't offer millions of dollars in difference from the pass catching ability (or route running) of our other TEs

They save nothing by releasing Clay. Clay is a superior player to O'Leary in every facet of the position, but, typical of Bills fans, we have fallen in love with yet another JAG player. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The opposing defense is going to make plays and while you may not see it, he's firmly established as the humber 1 TE.

I do see it because he gets paid 4 times as much as any other TE on the roster. Football is a business, and you have to ask always whether you're getting your money's worth. Frankly, I'd rather see the Bills keep an extra TE, and lose some WRs, as our two top receivers last night were TEs 

8 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

I do see it because he gets paid 4 times as much as any other TE on the roster. Football is a business, and you have to ask always whether you're getting your money's worth. Frankly, I'd rather see the Bills keep an extra TE, and lose some WRs, as our two top receivers last night were TEs 

He'll be here this season as the #1. 2019 is an entirely different question. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Clay's contract is fully guaranteed this season. He's not going anywhere.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not only is he still on the bubble - he's still on the wrong side of it. Benefiting from a blown coverage for a 35 yard touchdown doesn't change that.

I don't care about what guys are doing in camp. I care what they do in the games. OLeary consistently makes big plays at clutch times for this team going back to his rookie season in REAL NFL GAMES THAT COUNT.

You don't cut a guy like that for a guy who plays well in camp but does nothing in games against opponents.

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

And the sack they're blaming Vlad for.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Doubt he is on the bubble after last night

To me he's still on it.  What did he do that was impressive?  Getting open on a blown coverage that you and I could have gotten open on and catching an easy pass that you and I could have is not impressive.  It's standard.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Been having a hard time understanding why they would cut O'Leary. Feel like his lack of reps has more to do with him being locked into a spot, and coaches wanting to see more of Croom, Thomas and Lee to determine who they want to keep as #3 and #4 if the roster calls for it.

Sidenote: O'Leary is doing an autograph signing on September 11th, may be a little uncomfortable if he is cut.

I’ve been saying this all along.  

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He'll be here this season as the #1. 2019 is an entirely different question. 

Correct, the way his contract is structured, 2019 is the year to dump Charles Clay.  And I suspect they will.  His contract was ridiculous to begin with.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

To me he's still on it.  What did he do that was impressive?  Getting open on a blown coverage that you and I could have gotten open on and catching an easy pass that you and I could have is not impressive.  It's standard.

Look at his body of work since he has been here. He has made numerous big plays at clutch times going back to his rookie year. I'm not cutting a guy who plays well in REAL GAMES THAT COUNT for a training camp hero.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Look at his body of work since he has been here. He has made numerous big plays at clutch times going back to his rookie year. I'm not cutting a guy who plays well in REAL GAMES THAT COUNT for a training camp hero.

I'm not contesting that.  I'm operating on the assumption that Daboll is looking for something else in his TE's.  I look at NE, Cleveland, and Alabama, all teams where Daboll has had significant offensive input and none of them had a guy at TE like O'Leary.  They all had guys that were flexible and could line up and make plays anywhere even out wide on the perimeter and they all had blocking ability.  O'Leary is a limited H-Back who makes plays to the best of his ability.  He's just probably not what Daboll is looking for is my assumption and if cut he'll find a home, he's just not what our guy wants in a TE, IF cut.  We'll see.

Edited by NewEraBills

18 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm not contesting that.  I'm operating on the assumption that Daboll is looking for something else in his TE's.  I look at NE, Cleveland, and Alabama, all teams where Daboll has had significant offensive input and none of them had a guy at TE like O'Leary.  They all had guys that were flexible and could line up and make plays anywhere even out wide on the perimeter and they all had blocking ability.  O'Leary is a limited H-Back who makes plays to the best of his ability.  He's just probably not what Daboll is looking for is my assumption and if cut he'll find a home, he's just not what our guy wants in a TE, IF cut.  We'll see.

Okay, but if this is the rational for cutting O’Leary, then why would they keep Lee?  Lee is a blocking TE...not much more.

29 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't care about what guys are doing in camp. I care what they do in the games. OLeary consistently makes big plays at clutch times for this team going back to his rookie season in REAL NFL GAMES THAT COUNT.

You don't cut a guy like that for a guy who plays well in camp but does nothing in games against opponents.

I could see keeping O'Leary over Logan Thomas. But not Khari Lee or Croom. We'll see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Okay, but if this is the rational for cutting O’Leary, then why would they keep Lee?  Lee is a blocking TE...not much more.

He had three receptions in limited time last night.