[reopened. behave your fine selves] Kelvin Benjamin criticizes time with Panthers, Cam Newton

On 8/6/2018 at 10:38 PM, NoSaint said:

As ones had drug, domestic abuse issues, etc... 

while the other is mostly just brash in his TD celebrations on his way to the super bowl in an mvp caliber season....

That we are comparing the two as apples to apples miiiiight give some credence to us being harder on the black guy. Not everyone but almost certainly some.

As Johnny’s been out of the league for years now... maybe not the best metric? 

I've avoided this thread as not to *trigger* anyone, but I never even bother thinking of Manziel in this because the guy is not and never really was an NFL QB.  He's a pompous jerkwad who is as immature as a middle schooler with damaged lifestyle of an 80s hairband lead singer.

Newton, imo, gets the brunt of attention because he is always thrust upon our face in ads and such when many fans see these flaws and shrug. We turn around and book, he is there again. It gets old. And when no other argument can be made someone goes back to the ol' race card.  Its boorish and tired but it works all the time.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

KB no likey Cam

That looked a bit aggressive on Cam's part.  Looked like he strolled over with a bee up his butt, waved off whoever was with Benjamin so he could get all in KB's face, and Benjamin waved him off and went back to his homeboy (what Bill is that?) to not be left 1 on 1 with Cam

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

KB no likey Cam

Wow Cam looks like a douche.  Benjamin wanted nothing to do with it, ok, his choice. But Newton following him around like a little punk is ridiculously funny.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/7/2018 at 10:00 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed.  Of course, it’s not 100% race based.  But I think there are some people here who are criticizing Cam that would absolutely love Allen if he had Cam’s career and had his personality.  They would love the farm boy’s swagger.  

I'd take Cam as a QB right now. 

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Wow Cam looks like a douche.  Benjamin wanted nothing to do with it, ok, his choice. But Newton following him around like a little punk is ridiculously funny.

Cams body language said take a swing at me.

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Not to defend Cam here, but he came over with a smile on his face in a playful manner to have a convo with him and reached out to shake hands.  KB actually ignored his hand shake rudely which then prompted the exchange to continue the way it did.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I've avoided this thread as not to *trigger* anyone, but I never even bother thinking of Manziel in this because the guy is not and never really was an NFL QB.  He's a pompous jerkwad who is as immature as a middle schooler with damaged lifestyle of an 80s hairband lead singer.

Oh-he', now I'm Roy Rogers horse?  Thank you very kindly - NOT

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think of Manziel LOL. ( I agree.  Except that I know many middle schoolers who are way above JFF on the "maturity" scale. )

Newton, imo, gets the brunt of attention because he is always thrust upon our face in ads and such when many fans see these flaws and shrug. We turn around and book, he is there again. It gets old. And when no other argument can be made someone goes back to the ol' race card.  Its boorish and tired but it works all the time.

I think the fact that he came out the gate hot-handed, set a passing yards record for rookie QB, and racked up pro bowl and rookie of the year honors then improved in several categories, has something to do with that attention don'tcha think?  There are always going to be fans who forgive all flaws for that.

It's possible that a white QB who set the same records AND displayed the same sideline/interview behaviors as Cam would get more slack, but since we don't have one, we'll never know.

I'm not sure what "works all the time" means in this context.  I can't say I think it's worked terribly well here.

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not to defend Cam here, but he came over with a smile on his face in a playful manner to have a convo with him and reached out to shake hands.  KB actually ignored his hand shake rudely which then prompted the exchange to continue the way it did.  

I see it differently.  I didn't see him come over with a smile on his face or a playful manner.  I saw him come right up to KB and get into his physical space/insert himself into the interchange KB and coach/player were having. 

Then, yes, he did reach out to shake hands and got rejected rudely, but only after he'd pushed himself in and actually got so close it looked like he may have pushed KB who pushed him back.

I will say one thing, Cam makes KB look like a doughboy.

19 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I'd take Cam as a QB right now. 

Cams body language said take a swing at me.

exactly.  unfortunately the league won't look in to it but should.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

cam came over in passive aggressive fashion.  the whole hand behind the back thing was him trying to be some macho tough guy talking ****.

a guy talking **** in the pre season?  yeah, that's a bum.  especially pretending he is tough.  he's not.  when he dives on a fumble in the super bowl i will reconsider my opinion

• Haha (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, bobobonators said:

Cam is a below average passer, with great arm strength, and great size/athleticism. It’s hard to disagree with KB’s critique. Cam at times is wildly inaccurate. Even Cam must know this.

Josh Allen might be our Cam (minus the post game antics). 

Cam's more accurate than Allen, and has at least shown he can win at a high level in both college & the pros. Allen has potential, but if Benjamin has these critiques of Cam, I can only imagine the hell he's gonna raise when Allen is going through his growing pains -_- 

He may actually prove to be a detriment long-term to Allen's development, but I hope I'm wrong.

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I still don’t think this is a good look for KB. When KB was traded from Carolina Cam had nothing but nice things to say. Then KB trashed Cam publicly. Cam comes over yesterday and KB can’t even look him in the eye, keeping his head down. 

I dont get it. Maybe something happened behind the scenes in the past yr that we don’t know about. 

9 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I still don’t think this is a good look for KB. When KB was traded from Carolina Cam had nothing but nice things to say. Then KB trashed Cam publicly. Cam comes over yesterday and KB can’t even look him in the eye, keeping his head down. 

I dont get it. Maybe something happened behind the scenes in the past yr that we don’t know about. 

I think there is probably more to the story 

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday during the WGR-550 "round table" discussion before the game, Mike Schopp was looking out the window at the stadium and noticed that Benjamin and Newton were talking to one another on the field.  He then proceeded to give sort of a play by play description of what could be seen, and it didn't look pleasant.  LOL.

Here is the audio if you want to listen: https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/08-09-bills-round-table-schopp-bulldog-chris-brown-and-mark-kelso

Here is the story they wrote up about the incident in the aftermath:

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/benjamin-and-newton-get-it-preseason-tilt

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would he wait a year later to dump on Newton?

Benjamin must have been fully baked when he said that stuff

It's just a guess, but my guess would be

1) It's a contract year.  Gearing up for the season, Benjamin probably had some straight talk with his agent regarding his statistics and how they impact the likely value of his 2nd contract.  A WR whose three-year catch % with Cam is ~54% is not well aligned for the "big bucks"

2) That may have led to ruminations about the role of his former QB in his low catch percentage and possibly (??) in the season he lost to injury, if he feels that laying himself out to haul in Cam's "neighborhood deliveries" contributed.  Said ruminations may have caused Benjamin to become a tad "salty" about Cam

Keep in mind Carolina's motivation for swapping Benjamin have never been clear, but maybe he was seriously salty down in Panther-land, and Cam Newton was too (fill in adjective - focused on being a QB, unobservant, self-absorbed) to notice.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's just a guess, but my guess would be

1) It's a contract year.  Gearing up for the season, Benjamin probably had some straight talk with his agent regarding his statistics and how they impact the likely value of his 2nd contract.  A WR whose three-year catch % with Cam is ~54% is not well aligned for the "big bucks"

2) That may have led to ruminations about the role of his former QB in his low catch percentage and possibly (??) in the season he lost to injury, if he feels that laying himself out to haul in Cam's "neighborhood deliveries" contributed.  Said ruminations may have caused Benjamin to become a tad "salty" about Cam

Keep in mind Carolina's motivation for swapping Benjamin have never been clear, but maybe he was seriously salty down in Panther-land, and Cam Newton was too (fill in adjective - focused on being a QB, unobservant, self-absorbed) to notice.

I could se if he said this as soon as he got here.  Blaming Cam for his low catch % a year later (and 2 QBs ago) can't help him in any way with contract negotiations with the Bills.  It's what he does here now that matter.

By the way,  Newton had no trouble completing passes to Olsen...