Urban Meyer suspended for 3 games

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

This is well written and pretty much in line with my views.  Dan Wetzel, on the other hand, is doing a poor job covering this story.  He appeared to be unaware of the Earl Bruce connection yesterday, and today he's harping on Title IX and the OSU sexual misconduct policy even though everyone who has dug into those documents agrees they are inapplicable.

The more I think about promoting Day over Schiano or Wilson, the more it makes sense and indicates that Ohio State is taking a long view of a future without Urban.  

I think promoting day had more to do is schiano's involvement and ties to the Penn State program when the issues were there, and Wilson's issues at Indiana.

6 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I think promoting day had more to do is schiano's involvement and ties to the Penn State program when the issues were there, and Wilson's issues at Indiana.

I think it’s both. And that urban likely recommended Day. He’s viewed as a Tom Herman type. To be frank, urban is more of a CEO of this program. He’s isn’t that involved in the day to day coaching. He is intimidating and not very nice. But he wins and people respect him professionally for what he can do for them. But do most players and assistant coaches like him? No. But their end game isn’t being his friend.

the QBs love Ryan Day. I don’t know about the rest of the team or how much they really know him yet . Vrabel tried to hire him  as the Titans OC last winter and that’s when Urban gave him a huge raise and new title of co-OC. It will be interesting to see how ready he is for the media onslaught t (he has availability tomorrow on 1st day of camp) but the fact is he doesnt have any “issues” surrounding him like the other two.

Edited by YoloinOhio

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Boyst62 said:

If he said "wtf are you telling my wife for, keep your family squabbles to yourself and don't be a drama queen" than I'd say he did exactly what he should...

You see, the above I disagree with. If he was told of a crime, he should have referred her to the police. Once again, I'm NOT comparing this to Penn State but when you see a crime or evidence of a crime, it is not up to Urban Meyer or Joe Paterno to investigate. I'm a huge fan of Nick Saban but I wouldn't want him to investigate criminal activity.

This is what the police are paid to do.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

You see, the above I disagree with. If he was told of a crime, he should have referred her to the police. Once again, I'm NOT comparing this to Penn State but when you see, or see evidence of a crime, it is not up to Urban Meyer or Joe Paterno to investigate. I'm a huge fan of Nick Saban but I wouldn't want him to investigate criminal activity.

It appears the police already knew something was going on from 2012-2015:

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/records_show_history_of_domest.html

However, if this is true:

"McMurphy’s reporting indicates that not only was Meyer’s wife Shelley intimately familiar with the accusations, but that Urban himself was copied on numerous text messages detailing the abuse."

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2018/8/2/17641818/ohio-state-football-urban-meyer-end-of-an-era-explained?utm_campaign=landgrantholyland&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Then Meyer is screwed:

"Meyer is required by the university's sexual misconduct policy to report knowledge of domestic abuse by a university employee. According to the policy, "An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

Meyer's original contract required him to promptly report any violations of university rules by assistant coaches to Gene Smith and the Office of Compliance Services. Failure to do so could result in termination with cause."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24258253/ohio-state-buckeyes-place-urban-meyer-administrative-leave

So not only was it in the school policy, it was written in his contract. He did not have to call the police, all he had to do was report it to the higher ups.

28 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You see, the above I disagree with. If he was told of a crime, he should have referred her to the police. Once again, I'm NOT comparing this to Penn State but when you see, or see evidence of a crime, it is not up to Urban Meyer or Joe Paterno to investigate. I'm a huge fan of Nick Saban but I wouldn't want him to investigate criminal activity.

He should, that's one approach. But, when he is wrong the knife cuts both ways and he would likely be in just as hot of water in the situation should it be proven bogus. 

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

It appears the police already knew something was going on from 2012-2015:

Agree. There are nine police reports. Courtney moved out in June 2015, sought a restraining order in October 2015, and filed for divorce in November 2015. Seems like that activity combined with Courtney saying that she told “all the coaches’ wives” about the abuse should have put people on notice. 

McMurphy’s reporting indicates that not only was Meyer’s wife Shelley intimately familiar with the accusations, but that Urban himself was copied on numerous text messages detailing the abuse."

None of the texts in the public record show that Urban was copied, and McMurphy said on SVP last night that he has no direct evidence of Urban’s knowledge. 

So not only was it in the school policy, it was written in his contract. He did not have to call the police, all he had to do was report it to the higher ups.

I don’t know if that’s correct. Kyle Lamb from Rivals said that the OSU sexual misconduct policy incorporated into Urban’s contract only applies to on-campus, university-sponsored events - not any incident of sexual misconduct anywhere in the world - and none of the alleged incidents occurred in that context. Also, another report says that the duty to report violations of the sexual misconduct policy had not yet been added to the contract back in 2015. So it’s unclear to me whether there has been a violation of school policy or the contract. 

I doubt he gets fired.  I think ultimately it comes down to whether he was forwarded texts or not, and even if he were, who says those texts are factual or present enough information to make an informed decision?

I don't see Urban's wife ratting him out and I can see any able attorney punching lots of holes into the "well he should have known from text messages!" claim.  

It'd be different if Urban saw domestic violence occur and did nothing or the guy was found guilty and he kept him on staff.  

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

John, do you think that coaches should be mandated to call the police for domestic violence allegations? I am going back and forth with this and would need more facts to arrive at a conclusion, for instance; was the woman injured?

Either way, this is less sickening than what happened at Penn State. It's bad but no comparison.

In general I would say no. As you noted the degree of injuries would be a consideration in this case. If the victim sought medical attention the medical staff (I believe in most jurisdictions)  are required to report it to the police. In this case there is an absolute  minimum that should have happened: (assuming the reported facts are true) Meyer should have taken immediate action by sidelining the coach and reporting it to a higher authority such as the AD. In that way a further investigation of the facts could have sooner taken place. 

I'm not gratuitously or casually making a judgment here. Urban knew the family and he knew the grandfather, Bruce Earle, of the coach. So I'm not going to automatically harshly condemn him. But in this case (in my view) the onus is on Meyer to more officially handle this issue by at the reporting it to a higher authority. Meyer is paid a lot of money and he has plenty of clout in the athletic department. When you have almost unlimited authority you should be held responsible to take the appropriate action with your immediate staff i.e. the staff that he personally hired. 

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

Agree. There are nine police reports. Courtney moved out in June 2015, sought a restraining order in October 2015, and filed for divorce in November 2015. Seems like that activity combined with Courtney saying that she told “all the coaches’ wives” about the abuse should have put people on notice. 

None of the texts in the public record show that Urban was copied, and McMurphy said on SVP last night that he has no direct evidence of Urban’s knowledge. 

I don’t know if that’s correct. Kyle Lamb from Rivals said that the OSU sexual misconduct policy incorporated into Urban’s contract only applies to on-campus, university-sponsored events - not any incident of sexual misconduct anywhere in the world - and none of the alleged incidents occurred in that context. Also, another report says that the duty to report violations of the sexual misconduct policy had not yet been added to the contract back in 2015. So it’s unclear to me whether there has been a violation of school policy or the contract. 

Yep, this is not a title IX issue.

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

If the old man wants to come home for a few years to finish his career at Ohio State, I’d consider it ?

Yeah, he played at Kent State.

I never had the impression that Meyer was a bad guy.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

WTF are you talking about? 

It's a loaded question just like the situation with Urban Meyer. It's a load of horse poo.

3 hours ago, Mr_Robotulism said:

He is gone and I love it. Human piece of garbage. 

And, Ichigan fans. Immature, inbred, and lacking intelligence. ???

19 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It's a loaded question just like the situation with Urban Meyer. It's a load of horse poo.

The situation with Urban is not very complex. The contract he signed stipulates that he is required to report cases of domestic abuse. Did he abide by the terms of the contract that he signed? That's what the investigation is going to determine. Do you know who isn't complaining about him being placed on administrative leave? Urban Meyer. He said it is the right thing to do so the facts can be determined. You may be outraged at how the process is working but that's your problem. The process he agreed to is the process he is being subjected to. 

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

I doubt he gets fired.  I think ultimately it comes down to whether he was forwarded texts or not, and even if he were, who says those texts are factual or present enough information to make an informed decision?

I don't see Urban's wife ratting him out and I can see any able attorney punching lots of holes into the "well he should have known from text messages!" claim.  

It'd be different if Urban saw domestic violence occur and did nothing or the guy was found guilty and he kept him on staff.  

It’s a situation where no one took action. Not her parents. Not his parents. Not the police. So except for the pictures, no evidence that it occurred. And no evidence it was him. Ohio is a mandatory arrest state. If they are called to a house and find evidence of abuse they make an arrest. It’s not up to the victim. She didn’t ever pursue charges and had the divorce records sealed as well, because - her words - she didn’t want him to lose his job because she needed the money. 

The most bizarre part of the story to me is that she told her parents and they told her not to do anything ... what? 

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The situation with Urban is not very complex. The contract he signed stipulates that he is required to report cases of domestic abuse. Did he abide by the terms of the contract that he signed? That's what the investigation is going to determine. Do you know who isn't complaining about him being placed on administrative leave? Urban Meyer. He said it is the right thing to do so the facts can be determined. You may be outraged at how the process is working but that's your problem. The process he agreed to is the process he is being subjected to. 

That’s a new addendum to a new contract he signed in April. They need to prove he didn’t live up to his contract he had signed at the time where he wasn’t bound by the title IX specification in 2015, if title IX even applies here, to fire him for cause. If he’s fired without cause it’s a 30+ mill buyout. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.