Bills' 2018 Training Camp Day 4 - Nick O'Leary in Walking Boot

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Josh Allen deep pass down the left sideline to Robert Foster, who makes a nice catch but didn't look like he was in bounds. Also looks like it would've been a sack before Allen threw in a real situation.

Oops.

Here it is...

Peterman with a perfect back-shoulder throw to Jason Croom for a 23-yard gain.

Man his ball floats!  

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Definitely a factor in the overall evaluation as it should be.  McCarron is particularly good in this area. 

From what I've heard, Peterman is the classroom king and was fastest to pick up Daboll's offense, leading to his good performance in shorts this spring.  Where he struggles is in interpreting what he sees on the field when the defenses get more complex and the play faster (with pads on).  He struggled yesterday with the 1's and did OK with the 2's today.  We'll see.

McCarron struggled this spring learning his first new offense in 4 years, but kept grinding at it during the break and came back to camp better positioned to implement the O.   He is the most "rock steady" of the 3.  He'll rarely wow you, but he'll rarely fold under pressure, either.  He needs to speed up his processing now to avoid leaving long plays on the field.

Allen has the highest highs, but also the lowest lows.  I'm pretty sure one of our coaches main concerns with him is to avoid complacency.  They want him to keep grinding hard not just to learn but to master what he's seeing on offense or defense, and to improve his ball placement. 

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Josh Allen deep pass down the left sideline to Robert Foster, who makes a nice catch but didn't look like he was in bounds. Also looks like it would've been a sack before Allen threw in a real situation.

Looked to me like Allen did a good job stepping up in the pocket to throw.  Foster needs to be coached to extend his legs and get his toes down.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Man his ball floats! 

It does indeed ?

• Like (+1) 1

Allen 7 on 7 with first-team, poor throw to Malachi Dupre broken up by LorAx. Thrown behind Dupre.

Allen to Benjamin across the middle - dropped pass in traffic.

Allen to Benjamin - nice accurate 5-yard throw at left sideline, gain of 8 yards.

Allen checkdown to Taiwan Jones. Throw higher than we want it to be. Benjamin has no idea what's going on.

Allen with a nice touch pass to Charles Clay 20 yards down the field.

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

2 hours ago, TPS said:

I think that was Kaelin not Charles. 

Not arguing with you guys but doesn't Charles wear 85? The guy in the video is also wearing the #85. Did he change his #?

Peterman finds Logan Thomas across the middle for a gain of 20.

McCheckdown to Ray-Ray McCloud, who jukes a man out his shoes and shows some burst.

McCarron pass attempt over the middle broken up by the linebacker

McCarron with a good throw to Khari Lee 15 yards down the field with some YAC...

McCarron eventually finds Jeremy Kerley for a good gain on a nice accurate throw. Might have held on too long, though.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From what I've heard, Peterman is the classroom king and was fastest to pick up Daboll's offense, leading to his good performance in shorts this spring.  Where he struggles is in interpreting what he sees on the field when the defenses get more complex and the play faster (with pads on).  He struggled yesterday with the 1's and did OK with the 2's today.  We'll see.

McCarron struggled this spring learning his first new offense in 4 years, but kept grinding at it during the break and came back to camp better positioned to implement the O.   He is the most "rock steady" of the 3.  He'll rarely wow you, but he'll rarely fold under pressure, either.  He needs to speed up his processing now to avoid leaving long plays on the field.

Allen has the highest highs, but also the lowest lows.  I'm pretty sure one of our coaches main concerns with him is to avoid complacency.  They want him to keep grinding hard not just to learn but to master what he's seeing on offense or defense, and to improve his ball placement. 

Looked to me like Allen did a good job stepping up in the pocket to throw.  Foster needs to be coached to extend his legs and get his toes down.

It does indeed ?

Team staff source or player??

Peterman likely sacked here but scrambles outside the pocket and throws an accurate ball across his body for a gain of six.

Peterman with a nice pass off the play-action to the tight end (?)

Peterman on another completion to the tight end (Lee? Towbridge?) off play-action.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They do classroom stuff opposite the practice, correct?  in the afternoon if morning practice, in the morning if afternoon practice?

I have a hunch that behind the scenes, how he does in the classroom is part of whether or not Allen sees time with the 1's the following practice.

I have a hunch that they’re working him into the 1s to build his confidence and light a fire under AJ and Nate. I don’t think they have any plans of him starting 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It does indeed ?

....sounds to me like we have three respectful students of the game with  great work ethics to be the best....IF (way too early to tell), if we come out of this with the next Kelly/Reich duo, I''ll take it.......

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Oops.

Here it is...

Peterman with a perfect back-shoulder throw to Jason Croom for a 23-yard gain.

No that would not have been a sack in a real situation. Allen side stepped the defender and he wasn't even close. The camera angle makes the defender seem closer than he actually is.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Bills training camp day 4: Not so fast with Vontae Davis (7 observations)

Pittsford, N.Y. -- Sunday's fourth practice closed out week one of training camp for the Buffalo Bills. A.J. McCarron commanded the first team offense in all team drills against the defense, but Josh Allen continues to be the focus.

The cornerback battle behind Tre'Davious White and Vontae Davis may be even more important to Bills fans all of a sudden. Plus Allen adds another highlight-reel throw. Those and more in today's camp observations.

Vontae Davis status still up in air

McCarron gets all 1st team reps

Shady provides offense stability

Allen quiet after breakout day 3

Wide receiver update

Mills and Miller look good on right side

Injury update

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Not arguing with you guys but doesn't Charles wear 85? The guy in the video is also wearing the #85. Did he change his #?

We were referring to the original comment - it is was K Clay that Daboll was pissed at a couple days ago for not looking back, not C Clay

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills training camp day 4: Not so fast with Vontae Davis (7 observations)

Pittsford, N.Y. -- Sunday's fourth practice closed out week one of training camp for the Buffalo Bills. A.J. McCarron commanded the first team offense in all team drills against the defense, but Josh Allen continues to be the focus.

The cornerback battle behind Tre'Davious White and Vontae Davis may be even more important to Bills fans all of a sudden. Plus Allen adds another highlight-reel throw. Those and more in today's camp observations.

Vontae Davis status still up in air

McCarron gets all 1st team reps

Shady provides offense stability

Allen quiet after breakout day 3

Wide receiver update

Mills and Miller look good on right side

Injury update

...does it seem like McBeane shops out and signs guys coming off injury (Davis, Murphy, Benjamin), or am I way off base?.............

3 quick takeaways from Day 4 of Bills training camp

Day 4 of Buffalo Bills training camp is in the history books and it’ll go down as the first day tempers boiled over.

There were some fireworks at St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, so let’s get right to it.

Here are three quick takeaways from Day 4 of Bills training camp:

Tight end thinning

Not a lot of first-team for Allen

Fisticuffs

21 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

No that would not have been a sack in a real situation. Allen side stepped the defender and he wasn't even close. The camera angle makes the defender seem closer than he actually is.

You have to be joking. This defender literally stops well before Allen even steps to throw and lets him throw it. In a real game, Allen is crushed here.

image.png.bd800a05d5b2c8d3799f028291e321cf.png

image.png.d0b175a7dc433ab9b4ad989182383419.png

image.png.6fc4d3fbf56e7a685a9e5f28b94615d1.png

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Seemed to me that the Bills coaching staff decided to add a bunch new situations and formations which led to confusion among the rookie QB and the younger receivers.

10 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

You have to be joking. This defender literally stops well before Allen even steps to throw and lets him throw it. In a real game, Allen is crushed here.

image.png.bd800a05d5b2c8d3799f028291e321cf.png

image.png.d0b175a7dc433ab9b4ad989182383419.png

image.png.6fc4d3fbf56e7a685a9e5f28b94615d1.png

Going based off what I read on Twitter. That's what people said about the play. They we're probably wrong but only basing that off what I had heard.

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds continues to show maturity, leadership leading Bills defense

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Tremaine Edmunds stands out for a lot reasons on the field. But, when talking to teammates, they say the rookie is mature beyond his years. 

That's not bad for a guy who just turned 20 and is expected to be the leader in the middle of Sean McDermott’s defense.

“I can't be another age. I'm 20 years old and I feel it," Edmunds joked following practice on Sunday.

"He's doing well. Just in talking with some of his teammates in the huddle, that was one of our concerns was how would he handle this atmosphere," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said.  "This is another part of the transition for him. He's done very well with that, no problems communicating and he's on target to do well."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

Seemed to me that the Bills coaching staff decided to add a bunch new situations and formations which led to confusion among the rookie QB and the younger receivers.

....good assessment...and now is the time to get everyone on the same page.......we may even transition to a consistently threatening DOWNFIELD passing game.......so I would expect many ....huh?....where's that?......thought we couldn't go there....are we trespassing THERE?........type reactions....just sayin'...............

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 4

(WKBW) - The Buffalo Bills have finished their first four practices, which means they have now reached the official first stopping point of training camp. The Bills will take Monday off to recharge their batteries, but before they get to that, first was another padded practice that yielded some intriguing results.

We saw the first scuffle of training camp (between noted training camp scufflers Jordan Mills and Jerry Hughes), as well the first rest day for the player -- Kyle Williams -- that will probably receive the most rest days of any player on the team.

Besides those two things, what happened on Day Four of training camp? Seven observations from the day of work:

1) Bills giving Phillips more responsibilities
2) McCarron has the best day of the bunch, but Peterman improved, too
3) Is Zay Jones getting closer?
4) A no contest for the two guard spots
5) A switch on the running back depth chart
6) One tight end moves up
7) Patience pays off for Mike Love

Day 4 MVP: RB LeSean McCoy

- McCoy flat out embarrassed Ramon Humber on a one-on-one pass catching rep, and showed a great burst in the little work he had during team drills.

Day 4 LVP: RT Gerhard de Beer

- It was a struggle all day long for de Beer in pass protection. He's having a hard time shifting his weight down and anchoring, and opponents are bull rushing him into the backfield. He has to find a way to counter this move or else they'll continue to beat him.

Up Next: The Bills have the day off on Monday. They resume practice on Tuesday, July 31 at 8:45 am. Tuesday's practice is closed to the public.
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 4

(WKBW)

Day 4 LVP: RT Gerhard de Beer

- It was a struggle all day long for de Beer in pass protection. He's having a hard time shifting his weight down and anchoring, and opponents are bull rushing him into the backfield. He has to find a way to counter this move or else they'll continue to beat him.

Up Next: The Bills have the day off on Monday. They resume practice on Tuesday, July 31 at 8:45 am. Tuesday's practice is closed to the public.

...sounds like an inherent need to switch to LIGHT DeBeer...sorry couldn't resist.................

With a day off Monday, here's a look at the first four days of Bills camp

And on the fifth day, they rested.

The Bills are taking Monday off after four consecutive days of training camp practice at St. John Fisher College, then will get back to work Tuesday for a session that will be closed to the public. The next time fans can see the team will be Wednesday when they hit the field at 8:45 a.m.

As they head into their day of recovery, which is likely welcomed after two days of working in pads that produced the first significant contact of camp, and the first fight, there aren’t too many conclusions to be drawn regarding positional competitions, or how players are performing either good or bad.

As Sean McDermott always says, it’s a process, and it’s very early in that process. Still, there are definitely some things to talk about, so here are a few on my mind:

Josh Allen is the QB to watch
Harrison Phillips is one tough dude
Zay Jones looks pretty healthy, but …
The tight end depth chart is wide open

Top 3 things to know from Day 4 at Bills camp

Four training camp practices in the books. And the Buffalo Bills get Monday off now, with the regular season opener just six weeks away.

They practiced in front of another big crowd early Sunday morning, with sunshine and comfortable temperatures in the mid 70s. Here are the top developments from Sunday’s training camp workout:

1. BOUNCE BACK DAY FOR THE BILLS RUNNING GAME

2. PADS + POPS= A PHYSICAL TRAINING CAMP PRACTICE

3. MURPHY’S THE STARTER FOR NOW AT DEFENSIVE END; PLENTY OF WORK FOR SHAQ

What has been most interesting being there all three days is the tempo. As with last year, it is the anti-Rex: everything is deliberate and, many times, even when guys are on the sideline, they work to be better. 

Another interesting thing was, during the kerfuffel today, McD was right in there breaking it up. It stopped instantaneously. He has control, complete control.

Also, each practice has been exactly 90 minutes. None of the ‘you guys gave it your all so we’re cutting it short’ or other Rex garbage.

They changed the culture as soon as they walked in the door. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

Tremaine Edmunds earns high praise from coaches and teammates

ROCHESTER - "He's unusual," says Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

He means that in a good way about rookie Tremaine Edmunds.

"His height, his size, his speed. That's rare," gushed Frazier. "You don't see guys like him throughout the league. We're fortunate that we found a guy like that where we did."

Day four camp report from Matthew Fairburn of The Athletic:

Buffalo Bills Practice Observations Day Four: How Long Can AJ McCarron Hold Off Josh Allen

PITTSFORD, N.Y. — When you scan the crowd at Buffalo Bills training camp at St. John Fisher College, there aren’t many AJ McCarron jerseys. His throws don’t inspire viral videos or polarizing reaction the way that rookie Josh Allen’s do, either.

But on the fourth day of training camp, McCarron was once again leading the first-team offense. To the pessimist, McCarron’s play is uninspiring, while the optimist views the former Alabama quarterback as a steadying presence for the first unit. The Bills might see it that way, too.

Josh Allen uncorks a bomb
Peterman bouncing back
Speaking of Croom …
Chris Ivory with the run of the day
LeSean McCoy with another big play
A fight!
A new role for Harrison Phillips?
A few rookies slow to catch on
A swap at defensive end
Injury roundup

The Bills will return to practice on Tuesday morning for a session that is closed to the public.