Bills hosting DL Ryan Russell for visit; Signed

Everything the Bills have done at the DE position this year (bringing in Murphy, Fede, Odighizuwa, Russell, etc) suggests that Lawson is a goner. As I see it, they're lining up a list of potential backups to Trent Murphy. #90 is as good as gone. The writing is on the wall.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Everything the Bills have done at the DE position this year (bringing in Murphy, Fede, Odighizuwa, Russell, etc) suggests that Lawson is a goner. As I see it, they're lining up a list of potential backups to Trent Murphy. #90 is as good as gone. The writing is on the wall.

Yup, it’s been mentioned several times before TV that Lawson needed to step up. Then hearing McD state that he needs to improve suggest they’re not pleased with his progression going into year 3 as a former 1st round pick. He’s a solid edge setter but needs to get to the passer more. He was able to over power guys in the ACC but that’s not going to get it done at this level. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

I am not ask quick to think that.

I like they keep bringing in talent. even if they do not pick them up , they create a Bio of them if ever they are playing against them. Strength and weaknesses

: )

But Lawson absolutely should feel the heat

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

WTH are McBeane seeing in these guys that other teams give up on? 

Backup depth...and a 4th round pick from unloading Lawson.

Edited by Lurker
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Backup depth...and a 4th round pick from unloading Lawson.

So Yarbrough, Love, M.Lewis, O’Digahole (sp?), Lawson, Fede & Boesen aren’t worth the roster spots they’ve taken up since joining the team??

Now’s a fine time to go looking for DT’s & DE’s..

1 hour ago, MDFan said:

Looks like strictly a DE. It is Lawson that should be worried.

Yeah, physically he's just about the same size as Lawson.  When he came out of college he as regarded as having good tools, but underperformed on the field-wasn't as physical as he could have been.   He's was drafted in 2015, so he's had a little time to get coached up, but the fact that he's a free agent suggests that hasn't been entirely successful.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I don't see the two things as related. None of these players should seriously threaten his spot on the roster. Trent Murphy may take his starting role, but he also thrived off the bench in a three-DE rotation two years ago. Fede is a journeyman, Owe O. is a flyer on a guy people once thought had upside, Ryan Russell has half the tackles and sacks of Shaq in one more year.

Is Shaq's Bills career on shaky ground? Well, based on McD's comments and history, it clearly is, but these pick-ups and visits simply show a commitment to turning over stones to stop the run and get a better pass rush.

Here's an outside-the-box, but plausible thought: our defense was very good last year, but was beleaguered by having to be on the field so much (statswise, they were also skewed by a three-game total team breakdown of a near historic level, but that's neither here nor there). At this point, it doesn't look much like it will change (but who knows if AJ or Allen step up and line is not nearly as bad as expected). Perhaps they plan to keep extra defensive players to have depth to weather the low-scoring games.

Back to the Shaq: I hope they give him every possible look. As much as some people here want to re-write history and pretend his pick at 19 was a stretch (i've even seen people who suggested he would have been a day 3 pick if not for rex's clemson connecion), he was a top 15 talent by most expert estimation. Some have also suggested he was a one-year wonder who lucked out, when he was a four-star, top 100 recruit going into college.  And with injuries, he hasn't really got that much of a chance (and hasn't been terrible when playing, just nowhere near first-round-pick level). His value is at its low. If he truly isn't giving the effort, fine; I'll trust McD/Beane's judgment. However, it's worth seeing how he comports himself in the rest of training camp and how he plays in pre-season before giving up on a third-year first rounder.

Edited by thurst44
forgot to make first sentence clear
  • Like (+1) 2