Social Anxiety Disorder

Another Fan

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Tried to confront a manager at work.  It just came all bad/stuttered.  SA played a part.  Might have made things worse if anything 

Workplace issues are a can of worms imo. Throws the intrapersonal interaction into a different light, and if you've got an anxiety problem it's bound to be exacerbated.

My nonprofessional advice is to work on your communication skills. Having a conversation or discussion with another person, be it a negotiation or a matter of resolving differences, is really a necessary skill in getting on with life. Especially if you've got a partner. I'm not sure I'd be so quick to chalk it up to a disorder (of which I acknowledge are very real and very difficult to deal with, the point being that in today's society we by and large tend to absolve an individual of responsibility for myriad disorders, which is IMO dubious but medically convenient) rather than something you may need to address head-on. My $0.02

Good luck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Workplace issues are a can of worms imo. Throws the intrapersonal interaction into a different light, and if you've got an anxiety problem it's bound to be exacerbated.

My nonprofessional advice is to work on your communication skills. Having a conversation or discussion with another person, be it a negotiation or a matter of resolving differences, is really a necessary skill in getting on with life. Especially if you've got a partner. I'm not sure I'd be so quick to chalk it up to a disorder (of which I acknowledge are very real and very difficult to deal with, the point being that in today's society we by and large tend to absolve an individual of responsibility for myriad disorders, which is IMO dubious but medically convenient) rather than something you may need to address head-on. My $0.02

Good luck. 

Yep! +1.

Work, there is the whole boss-subordinate issues... Power that is wielded over another, etc... Throws a wrench in everything.

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're view on cannabis is but that really helps me.

sitting alone doing drugs will cure your social problems

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I guess it boils down to a couple things.  Are you functional in your everyday life, and are you content with your social competence/experience?

This is actually a key point that too many people do not understand.  The difference between "behavior" and "mental illness" frequently boils down to asking "are you functional?" If I miss a day of work because I'm upset my grandma died, that's behavior.  If, two weeks later, I still can't out of bed because I'm upset my grandma died...that's a clinical problem.

So if you're asking yourself "Do I have social anxiety disorder," you might be asking the wrong question.  It might be better to ask "I have social anxiety...but is it a disorder?"

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I guess it boils down to a couple things.  Are you functional in your everyday life, and are you content with your social competence/experience?

Often times I will be consulting with a parent who has concerns over their child’s social skills/shyness.  If I don’t see very obvious signs/symptoms of anxiety I will ask the parent “How does Johnny feel about this?”  Parents are often shocked by this line of questioning.  Some kids are completely content with only having one or two friends, and are completely functional in most other facets of their life.  It is the parents who want to change them.  Again, getting back to the notion of a “range of normalcy” with respect to an individual’s desire for social interactions. 

I know I’m viewing this through my narrow lenses as a school mental health practitioners, but I see parallels with SOME adults I know who are being treated for social anxiety disorder.

You sound like a great advocate for the kids. One of my sons falls out of the  "range of normalcy” socially. I think it bothers/worries his Mom and I but not him.

Just now, Another Fan said:

Lol sometimes the bathroom can be your friend in social gatherings to get away.  

Like me right now, I’m feel anxiety coming on but escape here for deep breaths without doing a number 2.  ?

Are you in a position where you can step out and maybe take like a 5-10 minute walk?

On 7/25/2018 at 3:59 PM, Another Fan said:

Anyone ever gone through this here/have elements of it.  I’ve beaten it in the past but today was a little rough.  

I experience bouts of it. Hard to pin it down. Just feel out of place in certain situations.

41 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

This. When it comes to companionship/friendship, dogs are superior to human beings EVERY day.

They love unconditionally and are eternally loyal.

Yep.  It does bother me when people just don't like dogs.  I understand if you don't love them but I know people who straight up don't want to be around them or touch them.

Dogs are absolutely the best.  I just lost mine a few weeks ago and it still hurts.  I watched an old video of my son cooking smores for the first time a little while back and our dog was in the shot....got chocked up a little bit.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep.  It does bother me when people just don't like dogs.  I understand if you don't love them but I know people who straight up don't want to be around them or touch them.

Dogs are absolutely the best.  I just lost mine a few weeks ago and it still hurts.  I watched an old video of my son cooking smores for the first time a little while back and our dog was in the shot....got chocked up a little bit.  

Why would it bother you?

Maybe they have issues with dogs, were attacked as a youth...etc...

39 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why would it bother you?

Maybe they have issues with dogs, were attacked as a youth...etc...

I can understand if it's a big dog that looks intimating but the dog we had was a little King Charles Cavalier.  Sweetest little dog ever...about 14 lbs.  I married into that dog as my wife had it before we met.  I normally don't like (not to say dislike) dogs like that but this one was precious (can a straight man say that?  I promise I'm straight).  

When I lived in an apartment before my house, the family next door was just terrified of her.  When my dog was on a leash and waggling her tail as we were walking up the stairs, the mother was walking down.  She pressed herself against the railing and said "please get this thing away from me".  I was just like "okay?".  My dog didn't even touch her, she just got the wiggles when seeing another person.

Edited by Royale with Cheese