Reggie Ragland story

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I thought they traded Ragland?

Im talking about both drafting him and trading him and both being decisions I didn’t agree with in terms of the amount paid and received...

I am allowed to express that opinion right?

I also wasn't happy with their decision about drafting Lamonica and then trading him if you want to get picky.  But again that has no relevance to what Beane and McDermott did since they weren't making decisions back then.

Ragland was drafted by one regime.  He tore up his knee.  The regime then changed and he couldn't get off the third string.  So they traded him.

Can you have an opinion?  Sure.  Can others disagree and discuss?  Sure.

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It worked out well for Ragland. Maybe Taron Johnson will be a stud.

Hope it does for both.  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I also wasn't happy with their decision about drafting Lamonica and then trading him if you want to get picky.  But again that has no relevance to what Beane and McDermott did since they weren't making decisions back then.

Ragland was drafted by one regime.  He tore up his knee.  The regime then changed and he couldn't get off the third string.  So they traded him.

Well when there is a Lamonica thread make sure you put your thoughts in that thread then..

Glad I can put my thoughts about Ragland in this thread and appears we will agree to disagree...

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well when there is a Lamonica thread make sure you put your thoughts in that thread then..

Glad I can put my thoughts about Ragland in this thread and appears we will agree to disagree...

The Lamonica example was use to debate your comment about drafting before 2017. I could spend all night bringing up different bad picks made by different GMs.  But since it wasn't Beane that picked them it's not his fault.  

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Hope it does for both.  

Ragland was a 5* recruit and Johnson was hardly recruited, but you never know.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/taron-johnson?id=32462018-0002-5600-928c-90992fa18499

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The Lamonica example was use to debate your comment about drafting before 2017. I could spend all night bringing up different bad picks made by different GMs.  But since it wasn't Beane that picked them it's not his fault.  

Ok...

But in this thread specifically about Ragland I am expressing opinion on drafting him and trading him... he never saw the field for the Bills so it’s pretty much all we can discuss about him Bills wise..

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

No.

I’m saying why pay so much for a scheme specific player in the first place and then turn around a year later before he has even played a game and trade him for some chump change you will get in two years time..

He was a sunk cost. You don't make decisions based on how much a previous regime invested in him. Same with Dareus, Watkins, etc. And the same goes for any new acquisitions through the draft or free agency. If they don't work out, move on from them asap and procure some assets in the process if possible.

Bill Belichick is excellent at cutting his losses and moving on, regardless of what it cost the team. That's part of what makes him a great coach: not that he doesn't make mistakes, but that he moves on from them very quickly. I hope this Bills regime can do the same.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He was a sunk cost. You don't make decisions based on how much a previous regime invested in him. Same with Dareus, Watkins, etc. And the same goes for any new acquisitions through the draft or free agency. If they don't work out, move on from them asap and procure some assets in the process if possible.

Bill Belichick is excellent at cutting his losses and moving on, regardless of what it cost the team. That's part of what makes him a great coach: not that he doesn't make mistakes, but that he moves on from them very quickly. I hope this Bills regime can do the same.

I fully understand that they were never going to get back what they paid for Ragland.

I posted on another thread that Whaley was quoted after the 2016 draft saying that he was trying to move up to 32 to get Ragland ( they got him  at 41)so in some ways the price they paid may have even been higher .. ( let’s be thankful for small mercies)

I think they were quick to sell him cheap though...just my opinion but from what I saw and read about him last season that might have some weight..

Look having said that though .. Beane got a lot right as well, for example the Tyrod trade and he slow played AJ situation to perfection... not trying to hate on the man by any means..

Until further notice, Ragland just reminds me of Kelvin Sheppard. Yes, I realize Ragland was a 1st round pick and Sheppard a 3rd round pick, but... in terms of strengths and weaknesses, play style, speed (or lack of it)...Bills fans (including myself) were wild about that pick, but he turned out to be nothing more than a journeyman 2-down run stuffer who couldn't cover. That's okay. A quality 2-down run-stuffing inside linebacker is a good thing to have. His loss is nothing Bills fans should lose sleep over, however.

Heck, even first year fifth round pick Matt Milano has had a statistically superior career to Ragland thus far in their careers.

I liked Ragland when we drafted him, but I'm over it. Tremaine Edmunds FTW.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

No.

I’m saying why pay so much for a scheme specific player in the first place and then turn around a year later before he has even played a game and trade him for some chump change you will get in two years time..

Because of Pegula. He is the one to blame for that.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Until further notice, Ragland just reminds me of Kelvin Sheppard. Yes, I realize Ragland was a 1st round pick and Sheppard a 3rd round pick, but... in terms of strengths and weaknesses, play style, speed (or lack of it)...Bills fans (including myself) were wild about that pick, but he turned out to be nothing more than a journeyman 2-down run stuffer who couldn't cover. That's okay. A quality 2-down run-stuffing inside linebacker is a good thing to have. His loss is nothing Bills fans should lose sleep over, however.

Heck, even first year fifth round pick Matt Milano has had a statistically superior career to Ragland thus far in their careers.

Nothing about this post is accurate. He was a 2nd round pick, not a first. He also never played a down for the Bills, and has barely played for KC. 

I'm big on Edmunds too but the way you are dismissing Ragland you would have thought he started for 2 years for the Bills.

39 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Because of Pegula. He is the one to blame for that.

I consider the Bills actions , results and outcomes collectively...

I support a team ... not a group of individuals..

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Until further notice, Ragland just reminds me of Kelvin Sheppard. Yes, I realize Ragland was a 1st round pick and Sheppard a 3rd round pick, but... in terms of strengths and weaknesses, play style, speed (or lack of it)...Bills fans (including myself) were wild about that pick, but he turned out to be nothing more than a journeyman 2-down run stuffer who couldn't cover. 

The Buffalo Bills selected Ragland in the second round (41st overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

The Bills drafted him and traded him..

Making the point that the situation  is very Billsy..

Kind of like releasing Gillislee rather than paying for him like the fans wanted?

Or the certainty that Chris Hogan would become a star in NE when he actually caught less passes for less yards than his average in Buffalo?

Or trading away our star MLB (Kiko) for an over-the-hill RB? [Nothing Shady: Eagles own Bills in LeSean McCoy-Kiko Alonso trade:  "In reality, they just owned Buffalo in this proposed deal"- the Sporting News.com] 

Or another highly drafted LB from LSU (Sheppard) to the Colts for a criminally underperforming DE/LB hybrid from TCU?!? (quote: "one of former general manager Bill Polian's worst picks in Indianapolis...")

I love the recency bias - or more correctly because it isn't even true recently - malaise bias that Bills fans have that we make worse trades than other teams.

Edited by timekills17

3 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

Kind of like releasing Gillislee rather than paying for him like the fans wanted?

Or the certainty that Chris Hogan would become a star in NE when he actually caught less passes for less yards than his average in Buffalo?

Or trading away our star MLB (Kiko) for an over-the-hill RB? [Nothing Shady: Eagles own Bills in LeSean McCoy-Kiko Alonso trade:  "In reality, they just owned Buffalo in this proposed deal"- the Sporting News.com] 

Or another highly drafted LB from LSU (Sheppard) to the Colts for a criminally underperforming DE/LB hybrid from TCU?!? (quote: "one of former general manager Bill Polian's worst picks in Indianapolis...")

I love the recency bias - or more correctly because it isn't even true recently - malaise bias that Bills fans have that we make worse trades than other teams.

It’s a combination of the drafting and trading and losing good drafted players in free agency..,

Yeah LeSean was a good pick up...

How are the drafts 2011-2016 looking?

Who is left?

Everyone knows the Bills' story: For the past 20 years, they have so often changed head coaches and front offices that they have been caught in an endless loop of switching offensive and defensive systems, getting rid of quality players because they no longer fit the new systems, and then having to draft a bunch of guys who DO fit the new systems...just in time to see the whole staff and/or front office fired and the whole process start over again.

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY...that cycle is over and the Bills have finally hit on the right front office/coaching combination. If so, then perhaps they can actually start drafting AND retaining good players, and can build on what they have year after year rather than always hitting the "reset" button. If this is the case, then I could care less about Ragland, Watkins, Darby, or whomever...As it is, the Bills made the playoffs with an inferior roster (yes, it was inferior because of the aforementioned reasons of jettisoning players who don't fit the new regime), which seems to be due to good coaching. Let's hope this quality play continues, so none of us has to spend time wondering about things like two-down linebackers who play for other teams any more.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He played in preseason and in camp and did not earn a spot.  Simple.  He may be a better fit in KC.  Good for him.

But in Buffalo other guys played better and earned a spot over him in camp.  And that's life in the NFL

14 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Not sure how they good judge his talent when he wasn’t a 100%.

Part of my point, thanks.
But as mentioned ,good for everyone he got another opportunity in KC

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Good post.

I agree with highlighted bit as I am sure Aussie Joe does  too.

4 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Perfect example of why changing coaches all the time is a bad idea. Hopefully if McDermott has a couple rough years we don't try and dump him and start over. 

Thank you !