Does anyone here live in Maine?

Thirdborn

53 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I live in NH. It's close. Depends what you want. It's cold most of the year. Most retirees don't like that. Portland is a terrific city.

Well, I'm from Buffalo, so cold doesn't bother me ..... thanks

8 hours ago, Thirdborn said:

Well, I'm from Buffalo, so cold doesn't bother me ..... thanks

Well then, you can find very cheap property the further into the wilderness you go. Most of the population is along the coast. Really depends what you want. Weed is legal there.

9 hours ago, joesixpack said:

You and me both. We spent some time there this spring and fell in love with it.

No question, it’s absolutely beautiful. Just WAY too cold for me. To each their own, but we loved our trip there a few summers ago. Even then, the water at the beach will turn your feet blue. 

My In-laws retired and moved to Camden Maine many years ago. It’s beautiful but a tough part of the world to live in year round. 

Lots of quirky things about Maine and the locals - “Maniacs” as I call ‘em. 

You move there and stay for 30 years, and you’ll still be “from ‘away’”. Your great-great-great grandchildren might begin to be accepted as “local” but you never will be. All bets are off for them though if they go to kallage out of state. 

You’ll need to learn some pretty essential things though, like what a skidder is and learn to enjoy the unique lawn ornamentations that Maniacs love. Things like old refrigerators and broken-down trucks and washing machines and piles of randomly stacked firewood. I won’t mention the lobster traps and pots (lobster bouys to you and me), nor will I mention the black flies - which make it IMPOSSIBLE to get your mail at your mailbox even if you’re wearing a beekeeper’s suit. They come out in June when the weather finally breaks and the iced over rivers start flowing. Don’t worry. They’re only thick through June. 

They say say there are two types of people who swim in the ocean there - kids and tourists. 

Here’s a little something from my favorite Maniac comedian Bob Marley (no, not THAT Bob Marley). 

Enjoy. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, Thirdborn said:

Any info concerning the lay of the land is appreciated. ... retiring,  want to be somewhere quiet but not so remote that I can't get around in the winter without a snow mobile.

I went there in the 1980's and it was one of the most beautiful places on earth. The people look rough, but the landscapes, with lakes up in the hills were breathtaking. 

12 hours ago, mead107 said:

Why Maine ? Not a retirement friendly state.  

Love kennybunk port. 

Not all that bad actually, #22.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/retirement/T006-S001-all-50-states-ranked-for-retirement-2018/index.html

WalletHub groups its 41 indicators into three key areas: affordability, quality of life and health care. and has Maine at #23.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-to-retire/18592/#methodology

15 hours ago, mead107 said:

Why Maine ? Not a retirement friendly state.  

Love kennybunk port. 

closer to family, and I want to go somewhere off the beaten path .... paid 4000.00 in property taxes this year (seattle) for no additional services in a crummy neighborhood ... I'm not looking for Paradise, just something quieter and more affordable.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thirdborn said:

closer to family, and I want to go somewhere off the beaten path .... paid 4000.00 in property taxes this year (seattle) for no additional services in a crummy neighborhood ... I'm not looking for Paradise, just something quieter and more affordable.

Likewise. Living near a major city has its perks, but I'm beginning to doubt whether or not they outweigh the problems. BTW, those taxes aren't bad.

• Like (+1) 1