Jump to content
OldTimeAFLGuy

Chris Ivory's Role In The Running Game?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

....four tidbits come to mind that could make the 2018 running game more interesting......

1. Daboll making "Thurmal like" use of Shady out of the backfield with 50 catches...
2. One of the youngsters stepping up as the "next Kenneth Davis" as a perfect compliment to Shady and being the change of pace guy like Kenneth was for Thurmal.
3. Ivory is still a beast and could be the punishing down hill guy between the tackles as a change up to Shady.

4. Chris is a nasty run blocker with his size.

....if, and a BIG IF the running game materialized somewhat like that, the passing game could possibly become a threatening, viable and much needed aspect of the offense, especially DOWNFIELD, which has been uncharted waters of late.....

 

 

With Mike Tolbert now gone, it looks like the Buffalo Bills now have a capable backup running back in Chris Ivory. But will he live up to the expectations?
by Paolo Sottile2 days ago

It was very clear to Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane that he needed to address the running back position behind LeSean McCoy after backup running back Mike Tolbert had a terrible first stint with the Bills.

Tolbert had 66 carries for 247 yards, one touchdown and two fumbles. Tolbert somehow managed to be the backup running back throughout the entire season, as he averaged 3.7 yards per carry opposed to McCoy’s 4.0.

Tolbert also saw his playing time decrease later in the season, as he lost snaps to Travaris Cadet who was averaging 4.2 yards per carry until he suffered a dislocated ankle on Christmas Eve. The 10-year veteran only signed a one-year deal worth $980,000, so it’s not like Beane and company invested a huge stock into Tolbert. But by his numbers it comically looks like the Bills sadly overpaid.

After the Wild Card game against Jacksonville, Beane got a taste of what needed to go, but also what needed to come in. Tolbert finished the game with four carries for 15 yards.

Flash forward to free agency in March and Buffalo’s number two running back was still from that game. This time it was on the other side of the ball with Jaguars running back Chris Ivory, who signed a two-year deal with the Bills worth $5.5 million.

https://buffalowdown.com/2018/06/22/...is-ivory-2018/

 

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason why I loved the Ivory signing was being able to scheme fit his talents into the offense without tipping off the defense on plays

 

The base is his hard running physical style to gain those short yards on 3rd and short and on goal line situations.

 

but

 

A very underrated pass catcher as well.....at the end of the day there are literally 4 running backs that can catch passes (if you include Dimarco) Cadet is an excellent Kenneth Davis type.....and Shady is of course the work horse of the running back stable.

 

We might be short on talent at other positions......running back is not one of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

His roll better have butter or he'll be upset. 

  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

 

...is he physically done or can Daboll resurrect his career versus Dennison's offense with Tolbert?.....still think Tolbert was more of a locker room leading solidifier versus his RB prowess.....and he did serve that role....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

 

Ivory is 2 years and 4 months younger and was nearly 41% more productive in just 2 more games.  He's done because look what Tolbert did?

 

He's the perfect compliment - in terms of age (maturity) and style.  He's the kind of back that can not get a carry in 2 straight weeks - then give you everything he's got in the next game because the match up is better.  He understands his role.  

 

Yes a guy that gets two carries, one for 1 yard and another for 10 has a 5.5 YPC - but Ivory is the kind that gets you one for 3 and another for 4 - obviously not every time but he's a guy that truly hangs more around his average. 

 

He's a battering ram - a pain to tackle - veteran that is rested (didn't play a ton the 2nd half of last season) - he absolutely is a threat in the passing game (very much unlike your comparison of Tolbert - and he's exactly the type of runner this team needed.

 

 

Edited by White Linen
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, White Linen said:

 

Ivory is 2 years and 4 months younger and was nearly 41% more productive in just 2 more games.  He's done because look what Tolbert did?

 

He's the perfect compliment - in terms of age (maturity) and style.  He's the kind of back that can not get a carry in 2 straight weeks - then give you everything he's got in the next game because the match up is better.  He understands his role.  

 

Yes a guy that gets two carries, one for 1 yard and another for 10 has a 5.5 YPC - but Ivory is the kind that gets you one for 3 and another for 4 - obviously not every time but he's a guy that truly hangs more around his average. 

 

He's a battering ram - a pain to tackle - veteran that is rested (didn't play a ton the 2nd half of last season) - he absolutely is a threat in the passing game (very much unlike your comparison of Tolbert - and he's exactly the type of runner this team needed.

 

 

I agree! he will be fresh and ready to punish!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...is he physically done or can Daboll resurrect his career versus Dennison's offense with Tolbert?.....still think Tolbert was more of a locker room leading solidifier versus his RB prowess.....and he did serve that role....

 

If the O-line was still intact, I would agree. With all of it in flux and unknown, and the Daboll run scheme largely untested I am holding my breath. Ingram and Ivory have been two RBs I always enjoy watching run, because they run with a bit of nasty. Just not sure what Chris Ivory we are getting, and how the O-Line, scheme etc will meld. IMO it is a good risk for both parties.

 

It should also be known Ivory has had a bit of a fumble history. His ball security is my primary concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If his roll isn't kummelweck then he should be released imnediately

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess similar to Tolbert’s last year but hopefully he will be better at it. I think Cadet and Murphy will be used some in the passing game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

What Tolbert lacked was the ability to catch and run behind the line of scrimmage. someone can pull up those stats and I bet theys sucked.
They brought him as Vet Presence in the locker room and some serviceability ( misused i might add )

 Ivory 3.4 needs to be taken in context.

color me an Ivory Fan. I think he is far and away a better player than Mike Tolbert. Plus he knows the game inside out. Won't make mistakes on blitz and blocking assignments.
Low miles for his age. and a good fit for the Bills.

 Cadet can do the twitchy stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If his roll isn't kummelweck then he should be released imnediately

whats your opinion on Blu cheese vs Ranch ?

 I say we give him a season before we preemptively judge him as a Buffalo Bill. I think he will be a great fit although unspectacular .
any thing more is bonus au jus
 

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

"Role"...its "Role" not "Roll"

sure it's not roll ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

whats your opinion on Blu cheese vs Ranch ?

 

Do you really have to ask!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

 

If the O-line was still intact, I would agree. With all of it in flux and unknown, and the Daboll run scheme largely untested I am holding my breath. Ingram and Ivory have been two RBs I always enjoy watching run, because they run with a bit of nasty. Just not sure what Chris Ivory we are getting, and how the O-Line, scheme etc will meld. IMO it is a good risk for both parties.

 

It should also be known Ivory has had a bit of a fumble history. His ball security is my primary concern.

 

...cannot argue with any points Roc.....but at least there's a shred of optimism especially if the OL shows up bigger than expected.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...cannot argue with any points Roc.....but at least there's a shred of optimism especially if the OL shows up bigger than expected.....

 

Ditto to you. Always enjoy your posts. I do think the scheme adjustment, new faces on OL etc will take 6-8 games to gel, but I think once that happens the OL will be better than anticipated given the turnover, and Shady and Ivory will be productive. Not counting out Cadet and Murphy as contributors though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

whats your opinion on Blu cheese vs Ranch ?

 I say we give him a season before we preemptively judge him as a Buffalo Bill. I think he will be a great fit although unspectacular .
any thing more is bonus au jus
 

sure it's not roll ?

Not unless we are talking about him being eaten on a sandwich or going down a hill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to assume it will be to back up Shady and to run the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not unless we are talking about him being eaten on a sandwich or going down a hill

:  )

8 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I'm going to assume it will be to back up Shady and to run the ball. 

safe call. perhaps block and catch a bit as well ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

 

Ditto to you. Always enjoy your posts. I do think the scheme adjustment, new faces on OL etc will take 6-8 games to gel, but I think once that happens the OL will be better than anticipated given the turnover, and Shady and Ivory will be productive. Not counting out Cadet and Murphy as contributors though.

 

...probably my useless baseless yip (Centrum Silver does NOT work). but I like Daboll taking charge relative to OL schemes..to paraphrase, thought he said it would be "scheme specific" to the opposition's defense (tweaks versus radical changes IMO).....perhaps wrong, but Castillo gives me the impression of "one size fits all"....would love to see Cadet/Murphy being the next "Kenneth Davis clone(s)" to allow Daboll greater flexibility with Shady more like versatile Thurmal..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

:  )

safe call. perhaps block and catch a bit as well ?

 

don't put words in my mouth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

 

don't put words in my mouth

and why I began with.. perhaps..

☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

He had a pretty steep drop-off in production from 2016 to 2017. I have a hard time believing that it's simply a question of age. Players don't generally decline that quickly. He's only 30-- a year older than Shady. I was super happy with signing. Was was a beast in '15, and '16, but I would like to know the reason for his decline last year. A Shady/Ivory duo could be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

 

Fournette averaged 3.9 YPC.  I'd be more inclined to chalk that up to the OL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

What Tolbert lacked was the ability to catch and run behind the line of scrimmage. someone can pull up those stats and I bet theys sucked.
They brought him as Vet Presence in the locker room and some serviceability ( misused i might add )

 Ivory 3.4 needs to be taken in context.

color me an Ivory Fan. I think he is far and away a better player than Mike Tolbert. Plus he knows the game inside out. Won't make mistakes on blitz and blocking assignments.
Low miles for his age. and a good fit for the Bills.

 Cadet can do the twitchy stuff

Taken into what context?  You can't state that and then not give the context to which you are referring.  It is illogical.

The Jags had just as bad a passing game as the Bills did and were run heavy with a clear #1 back.  Seems pretty similar to Bills 2017.

Tolbert was terrible in 2017.  He should have never made the team and his presence the entire year played a role in no comp picks.  I'm happy they moved on and if Ivory looks anything like his 2015 season it will be a great signing.  

You just don't see that many backs declining in YPC have a resurrection.  But like you and others have said, 30 catches, good run blocking, and a few key reps per game may be just enough.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×