Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

9 hours ago, _Underscore_ said:

I don’t agree about the "competitive spirit" thing.  Maybe it’s just me, but the thing I like best about Peterman is his resilience.  Get cut from Tennessee and keep plugging at Pitt.  Throw interceptions at SD and keep plugging in the snow.  My impression is that he is happy to play when called on, but humble enough to be genuinely be happy to support the starter when it’s his time to hold a clipboard.  He doesn’t pout.  Maybe it’s a faith thing for him.  As Reich was to Kelly, Peterman can be to Allen.  A real team guy – a process guy.

Call me naïve, but I believe Peterman wants to play well AND wants Allen to do well too.  I don't think it's too far fetched to believe Peterman could knowingly be content to play a role in the team rather than only be a star. 

IncidentallyI don’t get that feel from AJM.  (just my opinion)

that may end up being the deciding factor.....

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Um I didn’t say Allen played better.  I said NP had one good drive (against a vanilla D) then 2 throws into his 2nd made a bad throw that was another turnover.  Hey if he wins the job, great I have  nothing against him.  But people need to calm down over one drive, he gave the ball away the very next drive again.

Man you really need to let it go.  

and I get accused of being obsessive.  

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

I think McCarron is first man in and Peterman second.

re yesterday 

Mike RodakESPN Staff Writer  13h

The Bills continued to rotate their quarterbacks Tuesday, having Nathan Peterman run the first-team offense, rookie Josh Allen lead the second team and AJ McCarron run the third team. That continued throughout the entire practice without Allen taking any first-team reps, which has happened at points during training camp.

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It doesnt matterwhat "feel" you get. It's who plays better on the field in the games. So far at least it appears to be AJ.

If the staff agrees that AJM is clearly better, then by all means I agree with you that they would and should start him.  I just don’t think they agree with you.  Respectfully, to my untrained eye, it looks like camp has been a “push” between AJM and NP.   I may be wrong.  Time will tell.

If the staff sees it as a “push”, McD might place a value on which player is the best off-field compliment to his long-term QB, and make an investment in giving that guy field time.  If one concedes that Allen is the future (and the management probably does as they drafted him at 7) then the choice is a between a “bridge” that has already demonstrated discontent as a backup, and a long term role player that supports the face of the franchise.  With this staff, I think the tie breaker goes to the “process” guy.

I can appreciate your opinion that AJM is better, but I don’t think it’s unfathomable to suggest NP might start week one for the aforementioned reasons.  No disrespect intended….

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

re yesterday 

The Bills continued to rotate their quarterbacks Tuesday, having Nathan Peterman run the first-team offense, rookie Josh Allen lead the second team and AJ McCarron run the third team. That continued throughout the entire practice without Allen taking any first-team reps, which has happened at points during training camp.

Thats rich coming from you.  I don’t have anything to let go of, I was responding to someone directly speaking to me.  How is responding to someone obsessive?  Lmao.  This isn’t a “statement” board, it’s a message board.  You say something, people respond, and you have dialogue with them.  Lol at this post

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

re yesterday 

Yep

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 15

1) Josh Allen with the twos again
- Well, it wasn't quite the first-team work that could have happened given the rotation over the last two days, but the fact that the Bills gave rookie quarterback Josh Allen the full day with the second-team offense is vital in itself.  Now having taken two straight days of second-team reps, this is getting Allen acclimated with players that, for the most part, will be on the 53-man roster when all is said and done. He's throwing to roster-caliber receivers, and against roster-caliber defenders. Furthermore, getting him involved with the second-team offense for two straight days could also mean the Bills are readying him for work with the second unit in Friday's preseason game in Cleveland. Should that trend hold on Wednesday, the last practice of training camp, that would be the best evidence we could get that would confirm the plan for Allen on Friday. With the second-team, Allen looked smooth and sharp while connecting on 9-of-14 passes, and barely missing Malachi Dupre for a touchdown on a deep post. If he plays well enough against Cleveland, perhaps he might warrant some more first-team time ahead of the team's third preseason game -- which have practices in Orchard Park that are no longer open in full to the media. As for the other two quarterbacks, Nathan Peterman and A.J. McCarron flipped responsibilities from how the Bills positioned them on Monday.  Peterman worked with the third-team offense on Monday and was with the top unit on Tuesday -- and vice versa for McCarron. Peterman went 9-of-9 while taking a pair of sacks with the ones, and McCarron was 9-of-12 with the third unit. Neither player has done anything to cancel themselves out of the competition to be the starting quarterback, which further complicates Sean McDermott's ultimate decision.

and then today's depth chart:

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-depth-chart-day-16

AJ #1

Allen #2

Peterman #3

That's how it looks like it's going to be for Friday.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I hate these “quarterback competitions.”  I look forward to a future where we know exactly who our starting QB is going into OTAs. 

Like last year and the year before?  Did you like that?

Edited by reddogblitz

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats rich coming from you.  I don’t have anything to let go of, I was responding to someone directly speaking to me.  How is responding to someone obsessive?  Lmao.  This isn’t a “statement” board, it’s a message board.  You say something, people respond, and you have dialogue with them.  Lol at this post

You could say it is.   I've been quiet these past months, 

wassa matter, did I get your gander up?  

are you pretending to not be a severe Peterman detractor?

its camp.   let it go.    

you can B word for real in 4 weeks 

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do you think that about NP?  Not one thing NP has shown on tape suggests that.  In fact, the biggest risk of NP is how long it takes for the ball to get there.  If he isnt perfect on his throws they will be timed and picked off.  He also throws poorly under duress.  

People are WAY over valuing one drive in the first preseason game playing against some starters who are playing a weak and vanilla defense.  They are simultaneously ignoring every other flaw he has demonstrated over his career thus far.  

He also made a poor pass, that was late, high, and behind Ivory leading to a turnover.  Again, if he isnt perfect he doesnt have the physical gifts to make up for it.  So while I am sure he will lay some nice passes in here or there, he is also a high risk to turn the ball over.  If he is late on an outside throw, then hello pick 6 because he won't be able to zip it in there.  He has a very low ceiling IMO where as AJM has more of a skill set to have a higher ceiling.  

But in the end...who really cares.  This is Josh Allens team...these two guys are just playing til Allen takes their job.  So I dont get the obsession between NP and AJM right now, its almost irrelevant as they are not our future.  At best, they are trade bait if they can just be ok out there.  

in fact huh? i love the way you guys throw out the "facts".  in fact is that game which was a week ago...where nathan was one coulda been caught ball from having a PERFECT outing doesn't seem "in fact" good enough.  maybe his throws should have been sooner? have you been watching practices?...or listening to the radio?....hearing news from different podcasts?...or....are you just looking for something posted here to re insure you have something to say about nate and maybe hoping to be able to reference the sd game?

well  fact is right now he's the best of the 3 when it comes to timing, accuracy and completions....and it ain't even close. i know he's not the long term plan, but i don't understand how any fan can find fault with a guy that constantly goes 6-6/9-9 etc. to start out passing every day.  2017 is over, it's august. change your drawers and catch up with things.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

well  fact is right now he's the best of the 3 when it comes to timing, accuracy and completions....and it ain't even close. i know he's not the long term plan, but i don't understand how any fan can find fault with a guy that constantly goes 6-6/9-9 etc. to start out passing every day.  2017 is over, it's august. change your drawers and catch up with things.

If you want to go by pre season stats and practices in red jerseys then I guess you can say that factually.

Facts tell me a different story. To me AJ looks way ahead of Nasty Nate.  AJ has impeccable footwork and pocket presence. He can tell the pressure and slide around to an open spot and throw the football.  He doesn't just take off running like the other guys do.  He has really good accuracy as well. The 62 yard play Thursday was stallion IMHO.  He got 2 possessions and we scored both times. No TOs

If it's close we gotta go AJ.  The book is out on Nasty Nate that he  melts under pressure. Coach Lynn could tell this from last years PS games and took it to him. You saw the results. Jacksonville did the same and in 4 plays he has one one intentional grounding and 1 pick.  If he starts expect to see much more of the same.

What mKes You think this won't be a problem?

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

If you want to go by pre season stats and practices in red jerseys then I guess you can say that factually.

Facts tell me a different story. To me AJ looks way ahead of Nasty Nate.  AJ has impeccable footwork and pocket presence. He can tell the pressure and slide around to an open spot and throw the football.  He doesn't just take off running like the other guys do.  He has really good accuracy as well. The 62 yard play Thursday was stallion IMHO.  He got 2 possessions and we scored both times. No TOs

If it's close we gotta go AJ.  The book is out on Nasty Nate that he  melts under pressure. Coach Lynn could tell this from last years PS games and took it to him. You saw the results. Jacksonville did the same and in 4 plays he has one one intentional grounding and 1 pick.  If he starts expect to see much more of the same.

What mKes You think this won't be a problem?

You are living in the past. AJM  is history. 

2 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

You are living in the past. AJM  is history. 

You didn't answer my question.  Do you think if Nasty Nate starts Baltimore will not blitz the pants off of him?  This will also the first game for a 40% new OLine. If (WHEN) they do, do you think he will be able to handle it any better than he did last year?  If so, what makes you think so?

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You didn't answer my question.  Do you think if Nasty Nate starts Baltimore will not blitz the pants off of him?  This will also the first game for a 40% new OLine. If (WHEN) they do, do you think he will be able to handle it any better than he did last year?  If so, what makes you think so?

Have you watched any of the practices this year ? The game against Carolina ? It should be evident that is a new year and all of the bromides against Peterman  are silly.

2 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Have you watched any of the practices this year ? The game against Carolina ? It should be evident that is a new year and all of the bromides against Peterman  are silly.

Again you didn't answer my question.  I know it's a new year.  What have you seen in practices in shorts and red jerseys that tells you he is better under pressure?

He also went 9 for 9 in the last pre season game last year.  And you saw what happened ...

Edited by reddogblitz

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Again you didn't answer my question.  I know it's a new year.  What have you seen in practices in shorts and red jerseys that tells you he is better under pressure?

I believe i answered your question , either you did not watch practices or the game .or you didn't understand what you watched. 

4 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

...just my opinion, but I see Peterman and McCarron in the mix along with the obvious Allen......probably one of the better threesome camp competitions in recent memory....McBeane may have some interesting decisions ahead if things are reasonably close....keep all three on the active 53 and wait for an injury somewhere when someone comes calling with a trade proposal?......open with McCarron, Allen and Peterman to the PS?...if a poacher shows up, THEN promote him to the active 53?.......hell if we can end up with the next Kelly/Reich duo, me thinks we'd be in pretty good shape at QB...stay tuned.....