Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yes that's how the NFL does it now, and they shouldn't. I literally don't care about expectations. Right now I'd give Zay Jones a shorter leash than I'd give Matt Milano. Do you disagree with that? With a new QB I'll always keep the leash long. Plenty of QBs have shown improvement after year one, and again after year 2. Some people on this board have already written Peterman off. I happen to think his particular flaws - arm strength and panicking under pressure - are correctable with experience. We have the most uncertain QB situation in the NFL so I would absolutely keep 3 QBs until one of them has proven themselves.

I absolutely wouldn’t disagree because they have a year to stand on. By the same token, I’d give Peterman a much shorter leash than I did a year ago. He was a lock to make the team in 2017. He is fighting for a roster spot in 2018. If he played well in 2017 he’d be a lock in 2018.

Peterman’s flaws are beyond that. He isn’t particularly accurate. He is awful under pressure (that’s why they called him “Nervous Nate” in college) and makes poor decisions. You couple poor decisions with a lack of arm strength and you get turnovers. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Peterman’s flaws are beyond that. He isn’t particularly accurate. He is awful under pressure (that’s why they called him “Nervous Nate” in college) and makes poor decisions. You couple poor decisions with a lack of arm strength and you get turnovers. 

I don't agree about his accuracy at all. I think he has very good ball placement. That was his main strength coming out of college, and I don't think that's something you can teach. Obviously he needs to work on how he reacts when the defense gets pressure. But if we as a fanbase have collectively decided that that's not something you can improve on, we might as well start looking at 2019 QBs because Allen has the same problem. So no I'm not going to give up on Peterman's chances because of one horrible game. If Allen starts this year I fully expect that he will have a couple really bad games and I would hope we will be patient enough to let him develop. I extend Peterman the same courtesy regardless of his draft round.

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't agree about his accuracy at all. I think he has very good ball placement. That was his main strength coming out of college, and I don't think that's something you can teach. Obviously he needs to work on how he reacts when the defense gets pressure. But if we as a fanbase have collectively decided that that's not something you can improve on, we might as well start looking at 2019 QBs because Allen has the same problem. So no I'm not going to give up on Peterman's chances because of one horrible game. If Allen starts this year I fully expect that he will have a couple really bad games and I would hope we will be patient enough to let him develop. I extend Peterman the same courtesy regardless of his draft round.

That’s what people thought was his strength coming out. It wasn’t the case. @GunnerBill talked extensively about it in his scouting report. Peterman’s accuracy was WAY overstated. He has never been an accurate thrower. His main strengths were his ability to throw in rhythm and his “pro readiness.” Peterman was thought of as a guy that would need less time to adapt. He was advanced mentally. There is a lot of irony to that being his “strength.” 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Are you talking Alex Smith as a #1 draft pick who made the "Top 5 QB Busts of All Time" list after his first 3 or 4 seasons?

Or Alex Smith the Redskins just traded and paid the Big Bucks for?

Lol good Alex Smith, which is tyrod level IMO. I think we make the playoffs with that QB play but that is peterman's absolute (unlikely) peak IMO

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t get it. How could a reasonable person look at Nate Peterman and think, “this guy has got it?” The rest of the country laughed at us when we started him. It was worse than they expected. Everyone with a brain knew it would fail but Bills fans thought it was a good idea and everyone else was dumb. 99 times out of 100 the objective outsiders are right and the emotionally charged super fans aren’t. Peterman should be fighting for a roster spot not a starting job. 

Not the first time someone suggested I was brainless. IMO the Bills HAD to find out if they already had their future QB on the roster. It didn't work out as they hoped for sure, but I think we learned very little about NP that game and I still believe he can be an NFL QB, but I also believe that of A.J. and Josh.  If I had ever failed a math test in my first year of high school------------I would hope the teacher, my classmates and my parents would not have written me off as hopeless failure with no future.

8 minutes ago, PBLESS said:

Not the first time someone suggested I was brainless. IMO the Bills HAD to find out if they already had their future QB on the roster. It didn't work out as they hoped for sure, but I think we learned very little about NP that game and I still believe he can be an NFL QB, but I also believe that of A.J. and Josh.  If I had ever failed a math test in my first year of high school------------I would hope the teacher, my classmates and my parents would not have written me off as hopeless failure with no future.

That depends were you a “c” student or an “a” student coming into high school? When “c” students don’t do well it is less surprising than when “a” students don’t do well. The “a” student is more likely to improve the next time out than the “c” student. So while I agree that there is no reason to give up on the guy today I don’t see any reason to believe that he will become something that he has never been.

It’s Ockham’s Razor in a lot of ways. We can make a zillion assumptions as to why it went wrong or why it will change. The much more likely answer is, it won’t. His strengths will be his strengths and his weaknesses will be his weaknesses. 

24 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Lol good Alex Smith, which is tyrod level IMO. I think we make the playoffs with that QB play but that is peterman's absolute (unlikely) peak IMO

That's an interesting assessment, actually.    Is good Alex Smith >> Tyrod?  Given a top-10 D, Alex Smith has taken the Chiefs to playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years - but only once to a playoff win, and never past the Divisional round.  The Redskins are banking on him being just as good as Kirk Cousins with a bit more mileage and a lot cheaper.  And to my eyes, he is a significantly better passer than Tyrod is right now. 

On paper Alex Smith >>> Tyrod Taylor right now, but Tyrod Taylor >> Alex Smith his first 3-4 years as a starter in this league IMHO.   And they might just be closer than the Redskins would like to believe.

Peterman was the unfortunate person who got caught up in the Tyrod Fiasco. No matter who it was they would have been castigated by the Tyrod followers. Un fortunately ( I know , I know it is your favorite worn out joke CB 26) Peterman threw the interceptions with some help by his teammates. I really do not understand the vitriol against Peterman with many of you. Let's face it Tyrods never coming back and Peterman didn't have anything to do with his demise in the eyes of the Bills. Cut the kid some slack and we will see what he can do. GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly wouldn't be completely surprised by this if the staff wants to redshirt Allen. I think Peterman has about the same level of natural skill as McA and could show something. It would be pretty hard to swallow the media BS if we do announce him the starter though. 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree with this, McCarron seems to be a good addition. He’s a smart guy and a capable backup. He has a chance to be the long-term number 2 here. 

Some how I have a feeling AJ wants to be a starter and will remain a happy camper for 2 seasons.  After that I see him seeking out FA again.  

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Honestly wouldn't be completely surprised by this if the staff wants to redshirt Allen. I think Peterman has about the same level of natural skill as McA and could show something. It would be pretty hard to swallow the media BS if we do announce him the starter though. 

McD will make the decision and what it is ,people will just have to deal with it. 

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Some how I have a feeling AJ wants to be a starter and will remain a happy camper for 2 seasons.  After that I see him seeking out FA again.  

Maybe so, at that point though he may be Chase Daniel. He thought that he’d get a chance a few times and never did. He cleaned up financially though. He bounced around signing deal after deal. He has started 2 games in his career and made $25M.

All kidding aside, Peterman being the starter is not ridiculous at all if:

1) Allen is just not ready and needs to sit for a while

2) McCarron looks freaking horrible in camp and pre-season, which is a distinct possibility

3) Peterman shows improvement in all aspects  of his game, which is also a distinct possibility

The wildcard in this is that Peterman is McBeane's guy and they will give him every chance to succeed, maybe even including some he doesn't totally deserve.

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

All kidding aside, Peterman being the starter is not ridiculous at all if:

1) Allen is just not ready and needs to sit for a while

2) McCarron looks freaking horrible in camp and pre-season, which is a distinct possibility

3) Peterman shows improvement in all aspects  of his game, which is also a distinct possibility

The wildcard in this is that Peterman is McBeane's guy and they will give him every chance to succeed, maybe even including some he doesn't totally deserve.

....just a hunch but I think McCarron proves out to be the "steady Eddie game manager" who can lead this offense while Allen grooms.....Allen needs work and asinine to rush him....I think the Peterman kid has shown promise as a 5th (screw the 5 pick aberration as one's only shallow defense) and will continue to improve, probably ending up on the PS......some early positive signs are grasping the mental aspect ala speed and complexity of the game at this level.....

22 hours ago, Steptide said:

I've stated here many times that I'm a Peterman fan. While I dont know if he's ready to be the starter, I do think he's gonna impress people this year. He's the only qb we have that has any experience with our current offense. McCarron might be good, he also might be terrible. As crazy as it sounds, Peterman is the most proven qb we have on our roster currently. Yes, 5 interceptions I know, but let's let by gones be by gones. Either way, I just want the best qb starting 

Peterman seemed to get the ball to Kelvin Benjamin a bit when he did play, he's had time to build somewhat of a rapport with Zay Jones during the Senior Bowl and I'm sure during practices last season and he also had really good chemistry with Nick O'Leary who I think is the Bills best receiving TE. 

I can see the offense rallying around a much improved Peterman, as it remembers his personal struggles and the struggles of the passing game as a whole under Dennison and Taylor.

I think Peterman could move ahead of McCarron, while Josh Allen waits in the wings continuing to develop. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's an interesting assessment, actually.    Is good Alex Smith >> Tyrod?  Given a top-10 D, Alex Smith has taken the Chiefs to playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years - but only once to a playoff win, and never past the Divisional round.  The Redskins are banking on him being just as good as Kirk Cousins with a bit more mileage and a lot cheaper.  And to my eyes, he is a significantly better passer than Tyrod is right now. 

On paper Alex Smith >>> Tyrod Taylor right now, but Tyrod Taylor >> Alex Smith his first 3-4 years as a starter in this league IMHO.   And they might just be closer than the Redskins would like to believe.

Yeah bad contract for Redskins. And don't underestimate Andy Reid's power either

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Cover1 didn't seem too high on AJ in the podcast about him. Said he was a good backup but will be bottom tier starter.