Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

Just now, Wily Dog said:

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m not a detractor. I think I like him more than a lot of people (and maybe more than I should), but this season is all about getting the #7 pick in the draft up to speed and into NFL football games for the Buffalo Bills. 

Did you read my initial post? it says that < until Allen is ready.

Just a few quick thoughts I want to share:

1.) Anyone who truly, honestly has already written off Peterman's entire career due to one bad game is being foolish. One game does not a career make.

2.) Any true Bills fan only wants success for the team, and will therefore happily cheer on whichever QB wins the starting spot and root for said player to succeed. People who have already made up their minds so steadfastly that Peterman won't be that guy or, worse, that McDermott would be making a huge mistake by starting Peterman, are also being foolish and petty.

3.) AJ McCarron was drafted in the 5th round, just like Peterman. Aside from a head start of a few years of pro time, what does McCarron really have over Peterman in terms of advantages? Both guys have arms that are "just good enough". Both guys will have to win games with their brains rather than their physical attributes. Both are learning a brand new offense. Both are said to be super intelligent. Would it really be that shocking if Peterman beat out AJ McCarron?

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Blizzard game was played at one thousandth speed. There is zero anyone can take away from that game from any player as far as speed of the game goes. 

It wasnt only two games. It was his college career and last year's preseason, too. He was not good against the rush in preseason last year at all. He didn't display sufficient arm strength in preseason last year at all. 

Yet our FO/coaching staff thought enough of him to give him a start in his rookie season.

Just now, SWATeam said:

Yet our FO/coaching staff thought enough of him to give him a start in his rookie season.

And benched him at halftime and then immediately did something hardly any HC makes, admitting he made a huge unforced error of a mistake that hurt the team in playoff contention. 

4 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Did you read my initial post? it says that < until Allen is ready.

Honestly, I jumped in late. I wasn’t disagreeing, just pointing out that BY FAR the biggest thing to watch this year is Allen’s progress. The other things are not even remotely as important. Oh, and I agree.... it’s all on the coaches to make the call. It’s not going to affect MY ability to put food on the table. Messing this up would be hard for them to recover from. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

A desperate move by a failing OC trying to assign the blame to anyone but himself.

And he fell on the sword because of it. I have been told by some people in the know that was 100% Rico’s decision. He pushed McDermott to make that move to someone that could “execute his offense.” McDermott gave him what he wanted. It failed. Rico was fired. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just a few quick thoughts I want to share:

1.) Anyone who truly, honestly has already written off Peterman's entire career due to one bad game is being foolish. One game does not a career make.

2.) Any true Bills fan only wants success for the team, and will therefore happily cheer on whichever QB wins the starting spot and root for said player to succeed. People who have already made up their minds so steadfastly that Peterman won't be that guy or, worse, that McDermott would be making a huge mistake by starting Peterman, are also being foolish and petty.

3.) AJ McCarron was drafted in the 5th round, just like Peterman. Aside from a head start of a few years of pro time, what does McCarron really have over Peterman in terms of advantages? Both guys have arms that are "just good enough". Both guys will have to win games with their brains rather than their physical attributes. Both are learning a brand new offense. Both are said to be super intelligent. Would it really be that shocking if Peterman beat out AJ McCarron?

I've been saying it. It wouldn't be shocking at all. After they picked up McCarron, I watched his pro games and saw a very similar QB. He looked just okay.

If anyone has an advantage, it's Peterman. More familiarity with the guys who were on the team last year and he is more mobile than McCarron.

McCarron simply presented himself as quality competition at a good price. A smart acquisition, but not acquired to be the defacto starter.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

And he fell on the sword because of it. I have been told by some people in the know that was 100% Rico’s decision. He pushed McDermott to make that move to someone that could “execute his offense.” McDermott gave him what he wanted. It failed. Rico was fired. 

You are still in la la land as to what really happened in that game. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks for the laugh. Kirby's clipped toenails know more football than a lot of Bills fans. 

Good for  Kirby's toenails , If Kirby knows what really happened and it was reported at the time , he must have ignored it.

55 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I actually liked Tuel. Went to the training camp where he was making all of our other Qb's look bad especially Manuel. 

tuel was a good example of buffalo history on destroying the early careers of qbs with potential. will it continue? i hope and truly believe this staff is smart enough to do it right, but this team has been horrible at developing young qbs.

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We have talked about this at length before but that is not a good sign for McD. Hopefully he learned from his gross misjudgment like he asks and requires of his players. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We have talked about this at length before but that is not a good sign for McD. Hopefully he learned from his gross misjudgment like he asks and requires of his players. 

I think so. He grew a lot last year IMO. McDermott is going to end up being a good coach. He gave Rico what he asked for and held him accountable. He also took the bullet instead of throwing him under the bus like Colangelo did with his wife.

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Augie said:

Honestly, I jumped in late. I wasn’t disagreeing, just pointing out that BY FAR the biggest thing to watch this year is Allen’s progress. The other things are not even remotely as important. Oh, and I agree.... it’s all on the coaches to make the call. It’s not going to affect MY ability to put food on the table. Messing this up would be hard for them to recover from. 

.....no rush Augie...think the final pecking order will be:

1. McCarron

2. Allen

3. Peterman (PS)

.......IMO, McBeane played his card brilliantly with McCarron....he waited for the QB signing feeding frenzy ended, the dust settled and THEN grabbed AJ for what he was willing to pay.....and I'd bet a large portion of the $7 mil in incentives are NLTBE.....just a guess.........

3/14/2018: Signed a two-year, $10 million contract. Deal includes $6 million guaranteed. Another $7 million is available through incentives. 2018: $900,000, 2019: $3 million, 2020: Free Agent

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think so. He grew a lot last year IMO. McDermott is going to end up being a good coach. He gave Rico what he asked for and held him accountable. He also took the bullet instead of throwing him under the bus like Colangelo did with his wife.

Yeah I like him for the most part and also think he will be a good coach. My problem is really seeing that this could possibly be a good idea in a playoff race versus letting his OC talk him into something that drastic. 

In today’s big news.  

Josh Allen will begin to “periodically” receive reps with the first-team offense “from time to time, moving forward," starting this week during minicamp. Allen will still work with the third-team offense “by and large,” according to McDermott.

4 snaps did I hear? 

Other than the four snaps Josh Allen took with the first team, Nathan Peterman took the other 18 snaps with the Bills' top unit in 11-on-11 work during Tuesday's minicamp practice. Peterman, who also looked sharp with the first team last Thursday at OTAs, went 10-of-13 passing and ended the practice with a well-executed touchdown to undrafted rookie free agent wide receiver Cam Phillips.

So fellas let’s slow our roll and see how this all plays out.  

May the best man win.  

• Like (+1) 1