Amazing 13 year old singer

ALF

It was unexpected and amazing.  She came in second on the Children's Voice UK edition last year.  We really should have an AGT thread, I have some questions about the escape artist with the scorpions....

Edited by ricojes

2 hours ago, ALF said:

This 13-year-old slayed the 'America's Got Talent' judges with a Janis Joplin-like performance

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2018/06/13/americas-got-talent-13-year-old-courtney-hadwin-golden-buzzer-agt/697323002/

She's got the Joe Cocker routine down perfectly.

I'll give her credit as she comes across like a genuine talent if you dig that style of music.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife just ran downstairs to show me that girl. Amazing! And she sets it up well with the shy routine. Who saw THAT coming? 

I was thinking that anyone who could sing and rock like she did is also talented enough to pretend to be shy in order to set up the shock factor.

The black woman who speaks to the girl before she starts singing has an incredible speaking voice.

Deep, raspy, with that accent from the North of England (I think).  Almost Scottish but not quite. 

She should be doing voiceover work.

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The black woman who speaks to the girl before she starts singing has an incredible speaking voice.

Deep, raspy, with that accent from the North of England (I think).  Almost Scottish but not quite. 

She should be doing voiceover work.

Mel B is a former spice girl

I'm a little less impressed than most I guess. I think she/the show really played up the whole shy schtick before she went on to make it seem like she really became a whole different person. Granted, it's pretty damn good for a 13 year old, but there's some acting in there as well..............an also as mentioned above, the scorpion thing was complete bull ****. If I was paying to see a show it would be some of that virtual reality stuff, something new, not some 13 year old cover band or David Blaine ripoff.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Should I be impressed?  Seems like she just screams the lyrics.  I guess she’s pretty good for 13.  Also, why does her dancing remind me of the possessed girl from The Exorcist?  She’s going to throw out a hip!

Oh my god thank you. I thought I was the only one

I am not a big music guy so maybe I just don't understand it.  When she started, I thought she would get an X or two.  I didn't like the act....my wife loved it.  I watched it again to see if I can find what I'm missing....still don't get it.  If I was a judge, I would have been booed because I wouldn't have given her a yes.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am not a big music guy so maybe I just don't understand it.  When she started, I thought she would get an X or two.  I didn't like the act....my wife loved it.  I watched it again to see if I can find what I'm missing....still don't get it.  If I was a judge, I would have been booed because I wouldn't have given her a yes.  

If you were old like over 65 you might be a fan of Janis Joplin who she sounds like , Woodstock . 

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

If you were old like over 65 you might be a fan of Janis Joplin who she sounds like , Woodstock . 

I grew up on 60's rock because my parents were from that generation.  I'm very familiar with Joplin but not much of a fan.  

I'm not a guy who "knows" music, like understands it.  If I like the sound, that's about as far as it goes with me.

Since this girl has basically went viral since the audition, she obviously has great talent.  I just don't understand the talent due to my limited knowledge of the art.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I grew up on 60's rock because my parents were from that generation.  I'm very familiar with Joplin but not much of a fan.  

I'm not a guy who "knows" music, like understands it.  If I like the sound, that's about as far as it goes with me.

Since this girl has basically went viral since the audition, she obviously has great talent.  I just don't understand the talent due to my limited knowledge of the art.

Yes.  Because every singer who goes viral on the internet has great talent.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes.  Because every singer who goes viral on the internet has great talent.

Do you really not see the difference between the two?

This girl got the Golden Buzzer at AGT, and got a standing ovation.  She got thousands of people off their seat and stand up after she got done with her performance.

People in this thread have commented on how good she is.  I personally don't see it but that doesn't make me right.