[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Sabres' Guhle gets in his first game of this season with the Sabres

Guhle%206.jpg?itok=BkBM0ExY&c=563733afea

Boston, MA (WGR 550) - Two players got to play their first NHL games of the season on Sunday in Boston. Matt Hunwick made his Sabres debut while Brendan was also called up. The Sabres have 11 defenseman up here due to injury and Guhle said he found out during Saturday’s game in Rochester that he was flying to Boston. Guhle said he was told he was coming up in the second intermission and sat on the bench as watched the third period.

In his first game in Buffalo Guhle was paired with Hunwick and did give the puck away a few times, but he also got up ice a few times and used his speed like Housley wants him to. People seem to forget that he's only 21-years-old and is not a bust or even close to one. He has plenty of time to reach his potential.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Hairy but effective 

You ain't saying!

The clank off the post.  Pen shot... I just saw the goal they whistled off for the Bs.  That puck was still moving, but the ref lost sight.

Is Our luck turning... It seems to be in Boston, this is 3rd win going back to last year's two @ TD Garden...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This is the Eichel we all dreamed of having when we "lost" the McDavid sweepstakes.  What a season he is having -- and he's only 22!  Just dominated play again last night, and Ullmark was terrific.

This team is a joy to watch, despite the harrowing finishes...

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, eball said:

This is the Eichel we all dreamed of having when we "lost" the McDavid sweepstakes.  What a season he is having -- and he's only 22!  Just dominated play again last night, and Ullmark was terrific.

dude has been playing mad since he got the captaincy. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Full marks for Ullmark yesterday who was simply stellar in net with several highlight reel saves including a few that were Hasek like.   Between him and Hutton (AKA Sutton) the Sabres have gotten very good goaltending all season long. 

Yes.  A couple of jaw-droppers.  I don't know how the stars went but for me it was #3 - Skinner, #2 - Ullmark, #1 - Eichel

Edit:  I'll just add that I can't remember the last time I saw that the "backup" goalie was playing and it didn't matter to me.  That's how good Linus has been.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

Even if Guhle didn't play much he' getting valuable playing time in the big league is going to enhance his preparation when he becomes a regular on the roster. It's apparent that although Pilut is still adjusting to the North American rinks he already is good enough to be a regular defensive partner. The young guys getting playing time is giving us depth and will help down the road. Sometime during this season I expect Nylander to be brought up to fill in for an injured player. 

Having these young guys to draw from will help the organization as the trading deadline comes up and the playoff picture crystalizes. Instead of taking the standard route of trading for players that other non-playoff teams are shedding and giving up assets we can draw from our own reservoir to buttress the roster for a playoff run. 

27 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes.  A couple of jaw-droppers.  I don't know how the stars went but for me it was #3 - Skinner, #2 - Ullmark, #1 - Eichel

Edit:  I'll just add that I can't remember the last time I saw that the "backup" goalie was playing and it didn't matter to me.  That's how good Linus has been.

What's so encouraging is that our goaltending has bee consistently good throughout the season. I can't recall a clunker other than the Philly game, and in that game I don't blame the goalie for the loose play that left him hanging. 

Botterill made a lot of deals in the offseason to alter the roster. The most impacting maneuvers he made to transform this team is to bring in Hutton and elevate Ullmark from the AHL. Their stellar play has been a constant all season long. The position has gone from being erratic to stabilized. Great GM work!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

He's rocketing up the points leaderboard right now.  It's definitely fun.  And the crazy part?  He's going to be the second best player on the team in a couple years.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Even if Guhle didn't play much he' getting valuable playing time in the big league is going to enhance his preparation when he becomes a regular on the roster. It's apparent that although Pilut is still adjusting to the North American rinks he already is good enough to be a regular defensive partner. The young guys getting playing time is giving us depth and will help down the road. Sometime during this season I expect Nylander to be brought up to fill in for an injured player. 

Having these young guys to draw from will help the organization as the trading deadline comes up and the playoff picture crystalizes. Instead of taking the standard route of trading for players that other non-playoff teams are shedding and giving up assets we can draw from our own reservoir to buttress the roster for a playoff run. 

What's so encouraging is that our goaltending has bee consistently good throughout the season. I can't recall a clunker other than the Philly game, and in that game I don't blame the goalie for the loose play that left him hanging. 

Botterill made a lot of deals in the offseason to alter the roster. The most impacting maneuvers he made to transform this team is to bring in Hutton and elevate Ullmark from the AHL. Their stellar play has been a constant all season long. The position has gone from being erratic to stabilized. Great GM work!

Excellent observations as per usual.  I dig your Sabre takes.  How has Nylander looked this season?  And do you see the Sabres making any trades?  Like you stated, Botterill likes to work deals.  

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Excellent observations as per usual.  I dig your Sabre takes.  How has Nylander looked this season?  And do you see the Sabres making any trades?  Like you stated, Botterill likes to work deals.  

My understanding is that Nylander is playing well in Rochester. He is doing the grinding work and less of the freewheeling work that doesn't work in the higher level NHL. He's still a very young player and he is doing what is asked of him. He is getting plenty of ice time in the AHL which he wouldn't be getting in the NHL. So for his development the extra playing time is the best thing for him. I still believe he will be brought up some time this season. 

As far as trades for playoff purposes (my opinion) although this team is positioning itself for the playoffs I don't see the GM making any big deals that would shed our abundant assets. That is not to say that there won't be some small deals to shore up some weak points. 

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

He's rocketing up the points leaderboard right now.  It's definitely fun.  And the crazy part?  He's going to be the second best player on the team in a couple years.

I know.  As I was doling out my stars for last night I then considered that Dahlin had two more points...unreal.