SC sides with CO baker

Jack Phillips maintains he would 'serve everybody that comes in my shop,' but that he wouldn't 'create cakes for every message.'

The baker at the center of a Supreme Court ruling that he cannot be forced to make a cake for a same-sex wedding told “Today” on Tuesday that he doesn’t “discriminate” against anybody and that he simply doesn't want to bake cakes “for every message” — saying that he would also refuse to create a dessert that insulted the LGBTQ community.

Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cake in Denver, had argued that his cakes are works of art and that requiring him to bake them for same-sex weddings would force him to express a view that violated his religious beliefs. And in a narrow 7-2 decision, the high court said legal proceedings in Colorado had shown a hostility to the baker's religious views.

Phillips, however, maintained during an interview with “Today,” that he would “serve everybody.”

“It's just that i don't create cakes for every occasion they ask me to create,” he said.

“I don't discriminate against anybody, I serve everybody that comes in my shop,” Phillips said. “ I don't create cakes for every message that people ask me to create.”

“This cake is a specific cake, a wedding cake is an inherently religious event and the cake is definitely a specific message,” Phillips said, explaining his objection to making the wedding cake for the same-sex wedding.

But Phillips said there were several other messages he would never agree to put on any of his cakes — including anything that would disparage a member of the LGBTQ community.

(Excerpt) Read more at nbcnews.com ...

Were growing an odd crop of 'bigots' this year.

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Jack Phillips maintains he would 'serve everybody that comes in my shop,' but that he wouldn't 'create cakes for every message.'

The baker at the center of a Supreme Court ruling that he cannot be forced to make a cake for a same-sex wedding told “Today” on Tuesday that he doesn’t “discriminate” against anybody and that he simply doesn't want to bake cakes “for every message” — saying that he would also refuse to create a dessert that insulted the LGBTQ community.

Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cake in Denver, had argued that his cakes are works of art and that requiring him to bake them for same-sex weddings would force him to express a view that violated his religious beliefs. And in a narrow 7-2 decision, the high court said legal proceedings in Colorado had shown a hostility to the baker's religious views.

Phillips, however, maintained during an interview with “Today,” that he would “serve everybody.”

“It's just that i don't create cakes for every occasion they ask me to create,” he said.

“I don't discriminate against anybody, I serve everybody that comes in my shop,” Phillips said. “ I don't create cakes for every message that people ask me to create.”

“This cake is a specific cake, a wedding cake is an inherently religious event and the cake is definitely a specific message,” Phillips said, explaining his objection to making the wedding cake for the same-sex wedding.

But Phillips said there were several other messages he would never agree to put on any of his cakes — including anything that would disparage a member of the LGBTQ community.

That is a fine and cogent distinction, between message and person.

Then I reflect on Tomi Lahren being assaulted for her message, even when she wasn't delivering any message.

It's a fine and cogent distinction lost on the left.  To them the person and message are one and the same.  And Phillips is therefore a hateful bigot.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:08 AM, row_33 said:

I would assume that the majority on a liberal panel think that CHRISTIANITY  is the worst possible evil on earth, at least some would try to couch their prejudice in words that sound like justice and common sense.

Fixed that for you.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:27 PM, B-Man said:

A “narrow “ 7-2 decision.

-5NFgf2e_bigger.jpgErick EricksonVerified account @EWErickson
FollowFollow @EWErickson
I notice a disturbing silence from the Christian left after the Masterpiece case— an unwillingness to be vocal that persecution of Christians in America is real. Even SCOTUS recognizes it. Had the decision gone the other way, you know they'd be vocal about Christians & tolerance.

9:15 AM - 6 Jun 2018

On 6/5/2018 at 1:27 PM, B-Man said:

Lol....you guys buy this?  He refused to bake a wedding cake because the buyers were gay....that is it...it wasn’t a cake of two guys....or a double dong shape ice cream cake in rainbows spewing frosting...it was just a plain ole wedding cake that could have been used anywhere....except not a gay wedding...because that would be just wrong.....I would have greater respect for the guy and SCOTUS if they just said guy is a religious fanatic...clearly interpreting the teachings of Christ in a whacked out manner..and it’s ok if he doesn’t want to get cooties....

6 minutes ago, baskin said:

Lol....you guys buy this?  He refused to bake a wedding cake because the buyers were gay....that is it...it wasn’t a cake of two guys....or a double dong shape ice cream cake in rainbows spewing frosting...it was just a plain ole wedding cake that could have been used anywhere....except not a gay wedding...because that would be just wrong.....I would have greater respect for the guy and SCOTUS if they just said guy is a religious fanatic...clearly interpreting the teachings of Christ in a whacked out manner..and it’s ok if he doesn’t want to get cooties....

I usually don't respond to your bigotry, but your lack of understanding is total.

There were multiple witnesses of this baker serving EVERY customer, who came in for routine baked goods.

No one could find anyone who said otherwise.

He served every race, religion and sexual orientation.

THAT is why your lame "are you guys buying this " is plain , unadulterated Baskin Bullsh*t.

He was not forced to participate in a ceremony against his Christian beliefs.

I know that you can't handle that ..................but adults can.

I was/am in favor of gay marriage. 

I used to consider myself an ally of the gays. 

Talk about spoiled/obnoxious pussies. Look, gays, you make up 3% of the population. You’re literally insignificant because of that. The other nonsense in what follows the ‘g’ gets more ridiculous by the day to the point I’ve seen numbers in the ever-growing “LGBTAYBYOB9” nonsense. 

After gay marriage I thought the fight for justice was done and we could move on to other things like veteran health care, immigration, and jobs. But nooooo — the frontier of liberal politics revolves around forcing people to make cakes, prostitutes, gun control dictated by 17 year olds, and demanding that transvestites be allowed to poop next to children whenever and wherever they want. 

And liberals blame Russia for Trumps presidency when they really need to thank themselves. They brought their worst nightmare on because they’re united in their stupidity. 

Edited by The_Dude

1 hour ago, baskin said:

To be clear, then...you support forcing bakers to bake cakes for neo-Nazi gatherings, too?  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This is Brian Williams, reporting live, from Donald Trump's WH Birthday celebration....

von Ribbentrop gave a very impassioned speech to start the rally