RIP Ted Dabney - Creator of Pong

Pacman repped as     <

on a Tandy, then a Commodore Pet ruled

one summer we input a few pages of code to play a Lunar Landing Module game on a Tandy, showed my friend's younger brother how to win at the game, then changed the code so he couldn't replicate it, he spent weeks in frustration not quite getting it right

Remember the bar table that had the ancient video games built in?  Set your beer on top, feed the $.25 in, and away you went.

My buddy next door (who had wheels) would be sitting at home quietly, pondering turning in before I would crash the back door,

"BILL!  Palmwood!  Let's go!"

"Aw, not tonight.  I'm days tomorrow and a truck's coming in from the warehouse."

All it usually took to change his mind was me going "beep.....boop.....beep.....boop". That, and my buying the beer.

A friend across the street had a "pong" type video game.  It only played pong games.  I think it had a few versions.  The console was yellow as I recall.

That was the first video game I ever remember seeing or playing.  This is before the Atari 2600 existed.

I think this was it:

odyssey300.jpg

I remember going to a Thursday  nite game in 81 against the Eagles, then going to a buddy's place in Dunkirk and playing pong unitl 5:00 am (or maybe it was Fredonia. Surprise surprise, Bills lost the game)

Anyways RIP.

There was a cool documentary that I saw that detailed the invention of Pong. The first unit had a modified $.25 box taken off an old department store horsey ride. They talked a bar owner into letting them place it in his tavern next to his pinball machine and dropped it off at 5 pm on a Friday.

A couple hours later their phone rings and it's the bar owner.

"We thought he was calling to tell us to get it the hell out of there, but instead he says, 'You boys better hightail it over here, your box is completely full of quarters and people are lined up wanting to play,'" Dabney said.

RIP, a true pioneer.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Could you really put English on your return in Pong?

I seem to remember if your paddle hit the 'ball' while you were tracking the paddle sideways, you got an appreciable alteration to the ball's trajectory.  Not curving, but a new 'straight line' path.

4 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

There was a cool documentary that I saw that detailed the invention of Pong. The first unit had a modified $.25 box taken off an old department store horsey ride. They talked a bar owner into letting them place it in his tavern next to his pinball machine and dropped it off at 5 pm on a Friday.

A couple hours later their phone rings and it's the bar owner.

"We thought he was calling to tell us to get it the hell out of there, but instead he says, 'You boys better hightail it over here, your box is completely full of quarters and people are lined up wanting to play,'" Dabney said.

RIP, a true pioneer.

Cool story.  It's like the first historically documented incident of consumer market testing to see if this new thing called a "video game" would be popular.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I seem to remember if your paddle hit the 'ball' while you were tracking the paddle sideways, you got an appreciable alteration to the ball's trajectory.  Not curving, but a new 'straight line' path.

I think it was just my Dad trying to psyche me out

On 6/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, KD in CA said:

RIP

We had the first Pong home game a few years before the amazing 2600 VCS.

As did we. Just pong for a year or two, then an Atari console. Pong was crazy expensive by the standards of the 1970s.