One year from today Godzilla: King of Monsters is expected to be released.

njbuff

It's supposed to have all the original monsters in it and it is supposed to be a destructive movie (I will believe it when I see it).

America has NO IDEA how to portray Godzilla, but this country will be making its third Godzilla film.

First in 1998, they make Godzilla a little weak iguana that is NOTHING like the Japanese version.

Second in 2014, they do a much better job of making him larger than life and almost indestructible, but his atomic breath is weak as hell.

So, who knows what 2019 will hold, but, maybe, finally, they will portray Godzilla as an indestructible force of of nature with atomic breath that will destroy anything it touches............ just like the Japanese do.

The original thought of Godzilla was the Japanese way of telling the world how awful war was/is. At least that was the original thought.

If Godzilla is successful in 2019.............. they might blow up King Kong to Godzilla's size and finally do a Godzilla vs King Kong movie. 

Of course Kong is no match for Godzilla, blown up or not, but it would be a fun movie.

The 2014 version was the best remake and it was still nowhere in the ballpark of the originals. Those movies were all about 'Zilla and the monsters reeking havoc on everyone and everything around them. I don't care about the human's perspective.

But whatever, that's the name of the game now. Just remake a classic because it will sell regardless.

I recall an older Godzilla movie where Godzilla was fighting a robot version of himself.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?  

There was also one where he was fighting some sort of thing called, as I recall, "Jet Jaguar."

Love the old Godzilla movies, and that weird, distinctive sound he made.

Has anyone ever read what they used for that sound?  It defies description.

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

It's supposed to have all the original monsters in it and it is supposed to be a destructive movie (I will believe it when I see it).

America has NO IDEA how to portray Godzilla, but this country will be making its third Godzilla film.

First in 1998, they make Godzilla a little weak iguana that is NOTHING like the Japanese version.

Second in 2014, they do a much better job of making him larger than life and almost indestructible, but his atomic breath is weak as hell.

So, who knows what 2019 will hold, but, maybe, finally, they will portray Godzilla as an indestructible force of of nature with atomic breath that will destroy anything it touches............ just like the Japanese do.

The original thought of Godzilla was the Japanese way of telling the world how awful war was/is. At least that was the original thought.

If Godzilla is successful in 2019.............. they might blow up King Kong to Godzilla's size and finally do a Godzilla vs King Kong movie. 

Of course Kong is no match for Godzilla, blown up or not, but it would be a fun movie.

He was indestructible to the Japanese, but in America, nothing foreign can beat them so Godzilla looks like he is weaker then in the Japanese movies. Really its just a superior country trying to take him down!

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I recall an older Godzilla movie where Godzilla was fighting a robot version of himself.

There was also one where he was fighting some sort of thing called, as I recall, "Jet Jaguar."

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

13 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

He was indestructible to the Japanese, but in America, nothing foreign can beat them so Godzilla looks like he is weaker then in the Japanese movies. Really its just a superior country trying to take him down!

He was destruction embodied to the Japanese.  Godzilla was a post-war anti-American symbol demonstrating the criminality of the US Armed Forces in destroying and oppressing Japan.  Really...he comes from the ocean, devastates the countryside, leaves cities in flames and kills thousands, then returns to the ocean.  How is that not a post-war anti-American message?

(Yes, I'm exaggerating.  It was a post-war anti-war message, and before becoming a "creature feature" staple Godzilla was largely an allegory to nuclear weapons.  But the Japanese-American relationship is usually shown as cooperative in Godzilla films, as befits a culture that somehow worshiped Douglas MacArthur as a great national leader.)

I actually loved the 2014 version, and I'm looking forward to the new release as well. My biggest beef with all of the Toho movies has always been how cheesy the monsters looked, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah will be portrayed in high-tech CGI, as opposed to dudes in rubber suits.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/1/2018 at 1:25 PM, Azalin said:

I actually loved the 2014 version, and I'm looking forward to the new release as well. My biggest beef with all of the Toho movies has always been how cheesy the monsters looked, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah will be portrayed in high-tech CGI, as opposed to dudes in rubber suits.

But this movie fail, just like all monsters do, because there will be too much of the human element involved.

People who watch monster movies wanna see the monsters do massive destruction, not some stupid human love story.

The only way this movie works the world over is if they make Godzilla the indestructible force of nature that he was originally portrayed to be in 1954, with even the combined strength of King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra still not being enough to take him down.

The GMK movie was the closet thing to the portrayal of the power of Godzilla.

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

But this movie fail, just like all monsters do, because there will be too much of the human element involved.

People who watch monster movies wanna see the monsters do massive destruction, not some stupid human love story.

The only way this movie works the world over is if they make Godzilla the indestructible force of nature that he was originally portrayed to be in 1954, with even the combined strength of King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra still not being enough to take him down.

The GMK movie was the closet thing to the portrayal of the power of Godzilla.

The new movie will undoubtedly have more human element than I prefer, but that's the only way they're going to get enough people into the theaters to see it in order to at least break even. I wish that wasn't the case, but it's something I've come to accept.

As Tom mentioned, I've always understood Godzilla to be a metaphor for the nuclear bombs we dropped on Japan. The story I read was that Japan would not allow anyone to make a film about the atomic bombs, so Gojira was born - an nearly unstoppable nuclear force that ravaged Japan's cities and countryside, indiscriminately killing and destroying everything in it's path. Then Americans got their hands on it and added approximately 20 minutes of footage of Raymond Burr portraying a foreign correspondent, reporting the story to the media back home. We renamed the movie Godzilla. That movie was later renamed Godzilla King Of The Monsters.

But Gojira/Godzilla was not an indestructible force. He was slain using a type of 'oxygen bomb' - reduced to skeletal remains in what looked like a massive, deadly Alka-Seltzer fizz at the end of the first movie. Japan was saved.

Toho revived Godzilla, and he eventually became a sort of champion for Japan, defending the islands against a host of monsters while heedlessly flattening villages, towns, cities, etc. A few movies veered away from that format along the way, but most portrayed Godzilla as a defender, not so much as a destroyer.

The 1998 American remake was a high tech, big budget piece of crap. Calling the monster a weak little iguana is an affront to iguanas worldwide. I don't even consider it to be a Godzilla film.

What I enjoyed about the 2014 movie was that despite the human interest-heavy story, they did a great job of making Godzilla actually look like Godzilla. That alone was a triumph over 1998. They also brought back the notion that Godzilla was a literal force of nature, risen from his slumber by the emergence of the "Mutos". Gratuitous destruction from the resulting conflict, a staple of any decent Godzilla move, ensued. My biggest complaint about that film was that Godzilla wasn't on screen but for a few minutes, really. That was a common complaint in most reviews of the film that I saw. Hopefully that will be addressed in next year's movie and we'll get more Godzilla for our money.

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

The new movie will undoubtedly have more human element than I prefer, but that's the only way they're going to get enough people into the theaters to see it in order to at least break even. I wish that wasn't the case, but it's something I've come to accept.

As Tom mentioned, I've always understood Godzilla to be a metaphor for the nuclear bombs we dropped on Japan. The story I read was that Japan would not allow anyone to make a film about the atomic bombs, so Gojira was born - an nearly unstoppable nuclear force that ravaged Japan's cities and countryside, indiscriminately killing and destroying everything in it's path. Then Americans got their hands on it and added approximately 20 minutes of footage of Raymond Burr portraying a foreign correspondent, reporting the story to the media back home. We renamed the movie Godzilla. That movie was later renamed Godzilla King Of The Monsters.

But Gojira/Godzilla was not an indestructible force. He was slain using a type of 'oxygen bomb' - reduced to skeletal remains in what looked like a massive, deadly Alka-Seltzer fizz at the end of the first movie. Japan was saved.

Toho revived Godzilla, and he eventually became a sort of champion for Japan, defending the islands against a host of monsters while heedlessly flattening villages, towns, cities, etc. A few movies veered away from that format along the way, but most portrayed Godzilla as a defender, not so much as a destroyer.

The 1998 American remake was a high tech, big budget piece of crap. Calling the monster a weak little iguana is an affront to iguanas worldwide. I don't even consider it to be a Godzilla film.

What I enjoyed about the 2014 movie was that despite the human interest-heavy story, they did a great job of making Godzilla actually look like Godzilla. That alone was a triumph over 1998. They also brought back the notion that Godzilla was a literal force of nature, risen from his slumber by the emergence of the "Mutos". Gratuitous destruction from the resulting conflict, a staple of any decent Godzilla move, ensued. My biggest complaint about that film was that Godzilla wasn't on screen but for a few minutes, really. That was a common complaint in most reviews of the film that I saw. Hopefully that will be addressed in next year's movie and we'll get more Godzilla for our money.

With much more potent and destructive atomic breath. And it should be used a lot more than twice in an entire movie too.

Edited by njbuff

On 5/31/2018 at 11:33 AM, njbuff said:

You do know that this is already a done deal?

Warner Bros. & Legendary Pictures Monsterverse will have "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" for 2019, then there will be "Godzilla Vs. Kong" in 2020.

I'm really looking forward to this series continuing. Just wish that Gareth Edwards was still involved.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:19 PM, Fadingpain said:

Check out this montage of videos called "Godzillathon" from Cinnemassacre. James Rolfe aka "The Angry Video Game Nerd" does a great job reviewing these movies. I believe this was put together in 2008.

What's great about these videos is that each Godzilla film is shown in chronological order.

Check it out.....

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

With much more potent and destructive atomic breath. And it should be used a lot more than twice in an entire movie too.

That's fair. I remember most of the way through the movie thinking "hey, what's up - no atomic breath???" Then there was the scene where you see his spines begin to glow, subtly at first. I thought it was awesome. First, the spines along the tip of his tail lit up, and this ominous sound as the blue light traveled up his back until he turned toward the Muto, all spines glowing, and basically said "okay, mother$@#@er, eat this!" I understand you wanted more from a Godzilla movie, but that part was what I had been waiting for the whole time. Once he let loose with the breath, I was satisfied that I was watching a legitimate Godzilla flick.

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

You do know that this is already a done deal?

Warner Bros. & Legendary Pictures Monsterverse will have "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" for 2019, then there will be "Godzilla Vs. Kong" in 2020.

I'm really looking forward to this series continuing. Just wish that Gareth Edwards was still involved.

Check out this montage of videos called "Godzillathon" from Cinnemassacre. James Rolfe aka "The Angry Video Game Nerd" does a great job reviewing these movies. I believe this was put together in 2008.

What's great about these videos is that each Godzilla film is shown in chronological order.

Check it out.....

I second the Godzillathon by James Rolfe. Well worth the time if you have it. He was in Buffalo I guess for the comic con.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/2/2018 at 1:58 PM, njbuff said:

I'm sure we will get more atomic breath.

Hopefully Warner Bros. will have a panel for this at Comic Con in July, then maybe we get a trailer very soon after that.

The concept art they have for this movie looks great.

On 6/4/2018 at 2:54 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My favorite part of any Godzilla movie is when they try shooting him with standard issue military rifles. 

That would kill the 1998 pathetic American version of Godzilla. Brutal.

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That would kill the 1998 pathetic American version of Godzilla. Brutal.

Now we know that wasn't Godzilla.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:34 PM, Mark Vader said:

Check it out.....

That was fun to watch. 

Jet Jaguar...

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Now we know that wasn't Godzilla.

That was fun to watch. 

Jet Jaguar...

Yeah, i love this video montage., and thanks to these reviews I watched all of these movies in order.

I had never seen the Godzilla movies of the 90's and early 2000's and they were a lot of fun to watch. They have better story lines, better acting and better special effects.

"Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah" is the best of the 90's series & "Godzilla: Final Wars" is the best of the early 2000's. Although "Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack", is a lot of fun.

If you've never seen these later versions, they should be on Netflix.