A question about Buffalo?

On 5/8/2018 at 12:06 AM, Ice bowl 67 said:

Has it changed a lot since the 1990s? How about the suburbs of Buffalo or Rochester or a lot of other New York cities? Have they grown a lot since the 90s or have been built up or have they gone downhill? 

Might be worth doing some out your own research. 

www.BuffaloRising.com

20 hours ago, mrags said:

Google and Wikipedia is your friend. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York

3EBCE612-474B-4EF8-9897-725159DB1D65.png

Well if you go by these population numbers since 1960’s Buffalo’s population has declined by a combined 75%. Obviously these numbers are inaccurate as housing is booming and buyer’s are competing for available properties, the medical corridor is expanding exponentially, Canalside/Harborside is booming and we will be getting a new kid’s museum and other new construction and renovations are going on continuously. The Buffalo Region is definitely on the rise and the evidence is all around us! 

1 minute ago, tonyjustbcuz said:

Well if you go by these population numbers since 1960’s Buffalo’s population has declined by a combined 75%. Obviously these numbers are inaccurate as housing is booming and buyer’s are competing for available properties, the medical corridor is expanding exponentially, Canalside/Harborside is booming and we will be getting a new kid’s museum and other new construction and renovations are going on continuously. The Buffalo Region is definitely on the rise and the evidence is all around us! 

Yup. All the evidence is there except the obvious of course. The increase in population to the city of Buffalo. 

Like I said originally, the suburbs are doing great tho. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

This is true. As I young boy,I remember walking down Clinton with my two young sisters (70's). Spending a few quarters on bubble gum,sports cards,candy courtesy of our uncle's deep pockets..those days are long gone.On a positive note,Wiechec's still rocks for fish fry's and beef on weck.

Agreed, a little pricy, but their food is worth it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, tonyjustbcuz said:

That's not how math works.  Dropping from 532,000 to 256,000 is just over a 50% decline.

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Change is a very vague term. 

When I think of change, I think of old timers cashing out and leaving, new industries booming, young people moving in droves, traffic, etc. etc. 

That's what is happening in Austin, Denver, Seattle, Atlanta, San Jose and San Francisco. The change is quite dramatic. 

Buffalo has changed, but I don't think it's much different than what it was when I was growing up there. 

Because... What is the backbone to an economy... Is it a regional market?

All those cities you listed still have kept their core purpose as regional markets.

Buffalo has always been an "out post" where others expand to.  When they contract, they pull close to where HQ is.

Not saying Buffalo didn't have it's share of homegrown business.  But, what was it's historical backbone.  It was a transportation, break in bulk hub.  That's totally a thing of the past.

What I am saying is WNY has had to reinvent its "purpose" for being placed there... Name another city, big city, that gad to do that.  You do, I will show you where it's backbone in the economy still exists.

Of course there are tons of smaller cities, but Buffalo has to be biggest to go thru this.  It was a national player at one time.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

That's not how math works.  Dropping from 532,000 to 256,000 is just over a 50% decline.

Math is really tough for some people. 

Edited by mrags

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

Those were War industry numbers.  Artificially inflated. Federally.

Industrial capacity was there, close to power (more important back in that day). 

Buffalo did great during the war... It was a war town. As industry modernized, it was easier to sprawl.

Beth Steel in Lackawanna upgrade in 1960s?  Or, just build new @ Burns Harbor, Indiana.  Exactly what the Big Boxes do today.  Sprawl, build new gets you modernization in a better geographical location.

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because... What is the backbone to an economy... Is it a regional market?

All those cities you listed still have kept their core purpose as regional markets.

Buffalo has always been an "out post" where others expand to.  When they contract, they pull close to where HQ is.

Not saying Buffalo didn't have it's share of homegrown business.  But, what was it's historical backbone.  It was a transportation, break in bulk hub.  That's totally a thing of the past.

What I am saying is WNY has had to reinvent its "purpose" for being placed there... Name another city, big city, that gad to do that.  You do, I will show you where it's backbone in the economy still exists.

Of course there are tons of smaller cities, but Buffalo has to be biggest to go thru this.  It was a national player at one time.

Those other cities have gone all in on "high tech", lots of hardware, software and development work going on there. The international dollars, high real estate costs, mass transit investment, traffic and yuppies have followed. 

Health sector seems to be the low hanging fruit for WNY, let's keep pushing that angle.  

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Hey, in my experience, cash-only places have some of the best food you can get! 

They also make a fortune on their ATM's conveniently located inside the restaurant!!!

I am a Weichecs guy..used to be my main hangout ( before going to Allentown etc) in the 80's. Actually watched the 2nd half of 49's-Giants there to see who we were going to destroy in the Super Bowl after 51-3. 

Edited by plenzmd1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

They also make a fortune on their ATM's conveniently located inside the restaurant!!!

I am a Weichecs guy..used to be my main hangout ( before going to Allentown etc) in the 80's. Actually watched the 2nd half of 49's-Giants there to see who we were going to destroy in the playoffs after 51-3. 

But the cash only sign is on the front door.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

But the cash only sign is on the front door.

Only thing I see when I going in a bar..is the bar!!! Then its always..doink in the head when the bill comes!!!!

I live in Richmond now, and for most of the games I do not get into town until late Friday or early Saturday..maybe go there 3 times a year now. Still always forget to have cash on me before i go!

We did pre game the WJC outdoor game there..there was 7 of us having lunch, 5 drinking beer with our fish..at least 4 pitchers..pretty sure we were under $100 including tip!!!!