2019 Mock Drafts and top prospects

thunderingsquid

On 5/7/2018 at 11:35 AM, elijah said:

For the guys that watch full film rather than highlight reels on these players..

Are there any resources outside of a youtube search?

My favorite resource is by watching the games during the season.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2018 at 11:35 AM, elijah said:

For the guys that watch full film rather than highlight reels on these players..

Are there any resources outside of a youtube search?

I downloaded the Cover 1 app and there are some great articles and links on there and their podcasts are excellent.  

I usually use Walter Football as a sort of stepping off point and then do my research from there, I just get my names from there and then look in to them using their college's media as a guide.  The local colleges of each player usually do an excellent job.  I know there are not a lot of WF fans on here but they do a decent job of listing folks to put on your radar.  

I follow Erik Turner, Aaron Quinn and Nate Geary on twitter, they have a lot of links to some in depth draft research if not some great observations of their own.  

On 4/29/2018 at 9:46 PM, thunderingsquid said:

This is great stuff.  It will get me through long days in the cubicle.  And what will be an aggravating stretch until training camp.  Thank goodness for fantasy baseball.

Unless you own a lot of Mets... :bag:

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/31/2018 at 4:07 PM, Bill from NYC said:

It feels good that the only Crimson Tide player on the list was Damien Harris. He is a very good player but there really might be 5 or 6 better players on the Tide offense.

I'm not even joking.

And I worry about wear and tear on Alabama RBs and defensive players.  I hope they don't run him into the ground this season because I can see us reaching for him in the late first or in the 2nd.  

On 5/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Here's an early and unrefined look: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/wide-receiver/

That's not a very deep FA class next year.  I gave it a 3.25 out of five, compared with the guards and tackles are a 4.5 out of 5 - I can see us blowing a lot of all that cap space next year on olinemen.  

However the WR rookie class is very deep, there are 5 guys with a first round grade, a whopping 8 with a 2nd round grade and then 2 with a 3rd round grade and 3 with a 4th.

It would be a good year to go out and get a wideout if Zay doesn't perform.  Although I think he will make a big leap forward.  

So i broke down the draft and this is what I came up with as far as the depth per position (and listed the free agent market after that).  Remember this is just my estimate of the depth by looking at round projections in the draft and it would not be complete without a look at the free agent market, so i included the depth of free agents by contract value on Spotrac.com.  It's all on a 5 point scale, and by our needs at this point (WR, RB, TE, C, G, T, OLB, DT, CB)  I think we're OK at S, ILB, DE, FB, QB for now.  I included notable names with each entry.  

WR:  4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Brown, Johnson, Richards, Samuel, etc.

RB:  2.5  (2 in rd1, 4 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 9 in rd4) - Love, Harris, Scott, Snell, etc.  

TE:  1.5  (0 in rd1, 3 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 5 in rd4) - Wilson, Petite, Conrad

OC:  2    (1 in rd1, 2 in rd2, 1 in rd3, 10 in rd4) - Jenkins, Risner, Burkett

OG:  2   (0 in rd1, 1 in rd2, 7 in rd3, 8 in rd4) - Benschwazel, Bars, Piersbarshger

OT:  4   (3 in rd1, 6 in rd2, 5 in rd3, 6 in rd4) - Adams, Williams, Little

OLB:  4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Allen, Jennings, Burns

DT:  4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Lawrence, Oliver, Gary

CB:  3.5   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Baker, Beal, Jackson, etc.  

Edge: 4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Bosa, Ferrell, Jackson

Free Agents

WR:  2.75 - Fitzgerald, Cobb, Moncrief

RB:  2.75 - Bell, Murray, Lynch

TE:  3.5 - Walker, Eifert, Cook

C - 3.75 -  Kalil, Jones, Easton

G:  4.5 - Iupati, Levitre, Saffold

OT:  4.5  - Brown, Veldheer, Massie

OLB:  4 - Matthews, Orakpo, Morgan

DT:  4 - Suh, Atkins, Richardson

CB:  3.25 - Jackson, Grimes, Claiborne

Edge:  4 - Ansah, Lawrence, Wake

Again, it's really freaking early but I can see us reaching for a RB, getting another WR in the early rounds, building off of Edmunds and getting an OLB in rds 1-3, passing on a lot of olinemen (the draft is really sparse at this point except for tackle) and signing a lot of FA o linemen and probably overpaying a little bit.  But definitely not Whaley type of overpaying. And I'd love to see Delanie Walker in a Bills uniform.  

Man, this is going to be a long off season.  Less than 100 days to kickoff though! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

And I worry about wear and tear on Alabama RBs and defensive players.  I hope they don't run him into the ground this season because I can see us reaching for him in the late first or in the 2nd.  

Not to worry if they are healthy. Najee Harris will probably be a much better RB than Damien this year, I kid you not. He is bigger, stronger and even faster. He still has to produce but he is a freak. They also have a kid named Bryan Robinson and he too is a big monster. I once heard Bo Scarborough in an interview saying how good this kid is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, thunderingsquid said:

So i broke down the draft and this is what I came up with as far as the depth per position (and listed the free agent market after that).  Remember this is just my estimate of the depth by looking at round projections in the draft and it would not be complete without a look at the free agent market, so i included the depth of free agents by contract value on Spotrac.com.  It's all on a 5 point scale, and by our needs at this point (WR, RB, TE, C, G, T, OLB, DT, CB)  I think we're OK at S, ILB, DE, FB, QB for now.  I included notable names with each entry.  

WR:  4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Brown, Johnson, Richards, Samuel, etc.

RB:  2.5  (2 in rd1, 4 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 9 in rd4) - Love, Harris, Scott, Snell, etc.  

TE:  1.5  (0 in rd1, 3 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 5 in rd4) - Wilson, Petite, Conrad

OC:  2    (1 in rd1, 2 in rd2, 1 in rd3, 10 in rd4) - Jenkins, Risner, Burkett

OG:  2   (0 in rd1, 1 in rd2, 7 in rd3, 8 in rd4) - Benschwazel, Bars, Piersbarshger

OT:  4   (3 in rd1, 6 in rd2, 5 in rd3, 6 in rd4) - Adams, Williams, Little

OLB:  4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Allen, Jennings, Burns

DT:  4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Lawrence, Oliver, Gary

CB:  3.5   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Baker, Beal, Jackson, etc.  

Edge: 4   (5 in rd1, 8 in rd2, 2 in rd3, 3 in rd4) - Bosa, Ferrell, Jackson

Free Agents

WR:  2.75 - Fitzgerald, Cobb, Moncrief

RB:  2.75 - Bell, Murray, Lynch

TE:  3.5 - Walker, Eifert, Cook

C - 3.75 -  Kalil, Jones, Easton

G:  4.5 - Iupati, Levitre, Saffold

OT:  4.5  - Brown, Veldheer, Massie

OLB:  4 - Matthews, Orakpo, Morgan

DT:  4 - Suh, Atkins, Richardson

CB:  3.25 - Jackson, Grimes, Claiborne

Edge:  4 - Ansah, Lawrence, Wake

Again, it's really freaking early but I can see us reaching for a RB, getting another WR in the early rounds, building off of Edmunds and getting an OLB in rds 1-3, passing on a lot of olinemen (the draft is really sparse at this point except for tackle) and signing a lot of FA o linemen and probably overpaying a little bit.  But definitely not Whaley type of overpaying. And I'd love to see Delanie Walker in a Bills uniform.  

Man, this is going to be a long off season.  Less than 100 days to kickoff though! 

Thanks for such a well thought post. Keep 'em coming, this will be a wild season in college football.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kinda great how it's a great OL, WR, DL class and those are three of our biggest needs.

Call me crazy but I'm already day dreaming about adding these two players with our first two picks

1. Kelvin Harmon-WR North Carolina State 6'3 213

2. David Montgomery-RB Iowa State 5'11 216

Surround Josh Allen with weapons

• Like (+1) 1

Marino's 2019 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 - The Draft Network

No. 2 – Buffalo Bills (Super Bowl odds: 100/1)

PICK: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
Just like Arizona at No. 1, Buffalo has its franchise quarterback and would ideally use its top pick on improving the offensive infrastructure around Josh Allen. With that said, picking at No. 2 and NOT picking Oliver is an unforgivable sin. Kyle Williams’ career is winding down, and a glance at Buffalo’s defensive tackle group does not reveal a penetration-style player to serve as a three-technique in Sean McDermott’s 4-3 defense.

Problem solved by drafting Oliver who offers rare burst, strength, block-shedding skills and agility for an interior player. He has the upside to impact a defense like we’ve seen from Aaron Donald in LA.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:22 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here's my super-early Top 100 for the 2019 draft class:

1. Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
  2. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston 
  3. Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan
  4. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
  5. A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss
  6. Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky
  7. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
  8. Ryan Finley, QB, NC State
  9. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
  10. Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State

Now we can have Josh Allen on defense !

• 2 weeks later...

With these future draft projection what stands out to me is that once you have your franchise qb on board you have so many draft options. A lot of maneuvering was done last year to be in a position to draft a qb. Now that the qb selection was made in the last draft there are plenty of directions to go in the draft. My sense is that McDermott is a defensive oriented coach which will result in him using his main assets to build a top shelf defense. 

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

With these future draft projection what stands out to me is that once you have your franchise qb on board you have so many draft options. A lot of maneuvering was done last year to be in a position to draft a qb. Now that the qb selection was made in the last draft there are plenty of directions to go in the draft. My sense is that McDermott is a defensive oriented coach which will result in him using his main assets to build a top shelf defense. 

That would be a shame because we need receivers and the blocking would seem to be atrocious.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Bills go Nick Bosa at No. 1, Cowboys add N'Keal Harry to receiver group

1. Buffalo Bills

Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State. Easy pick for the Bills here, a club with a need at edge-rusher, especially with Jerry Hughes entering the final year of his contract in 2019. Nick is as good as his brother Joey when he entered the NFL in 2016.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Meatheadedness?? :lol:

Really hope we get Bosa, to get an elite pass rusher like a Bruce Smith is exactly what this defense needs.

Flexibility is nice but it does not prevent injuries as evidenced by his brother.

Strengthening ligaments and joints is done by heavy partial range movements.

http://dinosaurtraining.blogspot.com/2018/06/heavy-iron-at-old-york-gym.html

https://www.strength-oldschool.com/blogs/news/tendon-and-ligament-strength

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

1025887342-850x560.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

NICK BOSA

Edge, Ohio State

Ohio State
The Buffalo Bills have been one of the worst teams in football through the first two weeks of the season, and it does not look like it is going to get better any time soon. Running back LeSean McCoy is currently dealing with a rib injury, and when it comes to rookie quarterback Josh Allen, the accuracy issues he showed at Wyoming reared their ugly head on Sunday.

One positive note for the Bills was that they did play better in the second half, that was after starting cornerback Vontae Davis decided to retire instead of coming out after halftime. That was maybe the weirdest thing I have ever heard in football, and if the Bills continue to struggle, they could find themselves picking very early in round one of the 2019 NFL Draft.

With that pick, the Bills should look to get better on defense, as that unit has looked incredibly deficient through the first two weeks of the season. Nick Bosa from Ohio State is the best edge rusher this draft class has to offer, and while the Bills have missed on edge guys in the past, Bosa looks to be a can’t-miss prospect.

Bosa is currently dealing with an injury of his own, but that should not affect his draft status at all. He is the most electric defensive player in all of college football, and if he is anywhere as close the player his brother Joey has been for the Los Angeles Chargers, he would be a huge pickup at No. 2 overall.

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Raiders find Khalil Mack's replacement, Browns add WR after Josh Gordon trade

BUF.png6. Buffalo Bills

Jonah Williams, LT, Alabama.  We suspect the Bills will slowly creep up the draft board as the losses pile up. One of the ancillary benefits to being one of NFL's worst teams is that you can have your pick of the litter come draft day. And for the Bills, who have needs up and down the roster, protecting 2018 first-round pick Josh Allen will be key to avoiding drafting early again in 2020.

2019 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings: Alabama's Deionte Thompson emerging as elite safety prospect

Alabama reloads like no other.

In 2017, safety Deionte Thompson appeared in nine games and played fewered than 250 snaps on defense for the Crimson Tide.

He's moved into a featured role on the defense, mostly playing the difficult single high safety spot and has been a turnover machine. In three games, the redshirt junior has two interceptions --  both of which showcased his immense range -- and though not officially credited with a forced fumble against Ole Miss, he was one of two defenders who hit quarterback Jordan Ta'amu before he lost the football. 

More than his burgeoning coverage ability, Thompson can be spotted routinely flying downhill to make his presence felt against the run. He has 15 tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss entering Alabama's fourth game.

Here's my updated Top 20 prospect list after Week 3 in college football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.