A Sneaky Good Draft, With Potential...

DFT

Allen is all that stands in the way of many, that would give this draft an A+.   Nobody is wrong in thinking that way.  Allen represents the time honored conundrum of Elite upside vs Incredible risk.  For every single example of the risk panning out, 20 more examples could be given of the risk not and thus, setting a franchise back.  But I’ll admit, as word broke late of a Rosen resurgence at one Bills, I believed he was the guy.  I was all in and would’ve bet my career on it.  But alas, I’m officially wrong ten times out of ten.  And...   here we are.

In my career, I’ve been fortunate enough to coach, scout and have had the pleasure of working with some incredible folks along the way.   So I’ve asked a few their collective thoughts and the one thing that gives me pause, is the consensus of where they all seem to focus.   And it’s not Josh Allen.  Two names continue to jump out in conversations well before Josh Allen.  Those names are Harrison Phillips and Wyatt Teller.  They’re wildly popular picks among some very trusted and inciteful football minds and when weighed against some of the better documented commentary of ESPN, NFLN, CBS and others, it all aligns to a consensus.  These two guys are going to make some potentially big impacts for the Bills.  They are universal considered to be steals and should be, as both offer the same nasty demeanor, lunch pail Workmanship and high-level of play that a team and fan base like Buffalo, would covet.  But there’s more to this draft... So much more.

Tremaine Edmunds is a disturbing and intimidating freak of nature.  His skill set and potential to fill out his 19 year old frame is frightening.  Already considered “plug and play”, he has, what many feel, is the highest upside at his position.  While I don’t quite agree with that, I would suggest his upside is well described in “Urlacher” territory.  He will benefit most from the NFL S&C program, but oh my, what a budding star he could be.  

Taron Johnson was my second highest rated slot corner in this draft.  Pro ready, sticky in short areas, but lacking in long-speed, I thought he was a value add, where he was drafted.  I don’t expect to see him in anything but slot coverage, year 1, but I do expect him to potentially start in nickel and dime packages.  Good pickup.

Proehl, McCloud and Neal, are each decent picks, though I don’t see any (aside from McCloud on ST), having a sizeable contribution this year.

Then there’s that guy, Josh Allen.  A Jeff George arm, Elite athleticism, incredible offseason, but a shaky-at-best resume.  I struggle to get excited.  As a player, you just want to see this kid put it together.  If he could just be sorta good, he’ll have an incredible career ahead of him.  But when the pressure is on, in an environment such as Buffalo,  where fans are as unforgiving as possible, he’s got his work cut out for him.  But oh, how the McCarron signing is even more of a tremendous one.  This is where some of my colleagues, who offer much more than I ever will, have reminded me of what McCarron’s real value is.  He’s a coach.  Though limited in his own skills, he has off the charts acumen, Just like Allen’s mentor, Jordan Palmer.  He and our newly placed coordinator are the best things that could happen to Allen.  But Allen has his work cut out for him.   Though there’s not a lot of criticism for the pick, there’s not a ton of optimism.  Allen, Beane and McD will all have the stigma of “what would this draft have been if it were the other Josh at 7”.  I for one think he’ll be a vastly superior QB and the best of this class.  I was sure he was their guy.  His upside was manningesque and his floor was Matt Ryan, in my mind.   Time will tell, but I, like so many, can only be hopefully that these folks saw something that so many didn’t.  If they did, well then this draft will definitely be special.  If Allen rises to meet half of his potential, then my Durkee-covered crow is well-deserved and easy to eat.  I want that, badly.  I want to be steeped in wrongness.   I hope I am.

But the rest of this class, they’re going to pack an awfully well-received punch.  Stop me if you’ve heard this before...   “the Buffalo Bills drafted a versatile player”.  That’s what they did, that’s what they do and that’s what they’re creating.  Players with the morale and athleticism to fill whatever role is asked of them.  They succeeded with this draft, in my opinion, but if Allen himself isn’t successful and say, Rosen is, this draft may be lost on folks.

but Bills fans should be very excited about this draft.  This front office did an almost masterful job. There’s a lot of optimism surrounding what just happened.   Josh Allen is the only component of whether this will be looked as a great draft or seen as a generational draft, for the Buffalo Bills.  

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

11 minutes ago, DFT said:

but Bills fans should be very excited about this draft.  This front office did an almost masterful job. There’s a lot of optimism surrounding what just happened.   Josh Allen is the only component of whether this will be looked as a great draft or seen as a generational draft, for the Buffalo Bills.  

Edited 8 minutes ago by DFT

i absolutely love the back stories of almost every player, be it multiple positions, pedigree or an overcoming/overachieving thing. it seems that way with each and every player. outstanding!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

i absolutely love the back stories of almost every player, be it multiple positions, pedigree or an overcoming/overachieving thing. it seems that way with each and every player. outstanding!

...sure looks like this gang did their homework......and I'd bet they have already started 2019 homework as far as potential draftees, as well as UFA's, etc.......got $85+ mil in the cookie jar....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure looks like this gang did their homework......and I'd bet they have already started 2019 homework as far as potential draftees, as well as UFA's, etc.......got $85+ mil in the cookie jar....

it seems  like every year in the past...pre mcd, there was always  a head scratcher or a move that had the whole country laughing at us or just an after draft malaise.

i thought that after this draft, i could quit spending or wasting countless hours reading, listening and day dreaming about this team....but...now i'm so excited to see these guys going forward. i need to suspend my internet or something.:blink:

• Haha (+1) 1

When the franchise has ignored the QB position for as long as we have, you can forgive the fan base for being skeptical when the FO says “we found our guy”.

On the plus side, I think we’ve found our rough gem in Allen.....just a little polishing here and there and we’re good to go.

55 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

it seems  like every year in the past...pre mcd, there was always  a head scratcher or a move that had the whole country laughing at us or just an after draft malaise.

i thought that after this draft, i could quit spending or wasting countless hours reading, listening and day dreaming about this team....but...now i'm so excited to see these guys going forward. i need to suspend my internet or something.:blink:

...points taken....this gang sure as hell beats 17 years of "over the hill re-tireds" (on and off the field) and grossly unqualified people put into positions SOLELY based on trust mumblin', grumblin' & stumblin' their way through......looked more like "F Troop" versus a FOOTBALL organization.....was perfect fodder for the media feeding frenzy.....remember the presser when RW brought back Marv, "re-tired" with polyglass radials and a leisure suit?.....nationwide laughter caused a quake in California....."pre-McD" or "pre anything" versus now is too painful....EVERY draft by EVERY GM by EVERY team will ALWAYS have head scratcher(s).......allegedly we "wasted a 7th (THAT valuable?)" on Ricky's kid who certainly was to be a UDFA.....Eagles wasted a 7th on the rugby behemoth........plenty of "reaches" already identified by the all knowing urinalists pounding the keyboard from under their desks....stay the course bud......:thumbsup:....BTW, I can still see Beiber McShay's snickering (yet to be shaven face) yapping about Bflo's "reach of a bust" selection of Marshawn at #12......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i bet he turns into an amendola.  f troup...lol..now i'm guessing i'm not the oldest member here.

...LMAO......I'm 65 in year 56 of following this club.....Our AARP gang is "seasoned" right??......teeth in a jar, Geritol and Depends...doesn't get ANY better than that IMO...:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Doesn’t every draft have potential???

hate the first pick but then it blows my mind that we didn’t get the Josh Allen of Wrs in the 6th, E St. John.  Generally liked the rest of it.

I don’t think so.  I think Maybin, Mccargo and Whitner would agree.  As would EJ.  Those are drafts where the consensus was almost unanimous in disapproval.   

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO......I'm 65 in year 56 of following this club.....Our AARP gang is "seasoned" right??......teeth in a jar, Geritol and Depends...doesn't get ANY better than that IMO...:thumbsup:

It’s a shame I could only “like” this post once.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I was sure that Rosen was “the” guy for us too. Now considering  his post-draft comments I can at least get a feel for why Buffalo passed on him. Not just passed they went and got Someone Else! He is simply not a Mcd guy. Rosen is first in his own opinion and in action. Not, team first. Mayfield has been endlessly compared with Manziel in his draft days. I say that Rosen is more like Manziel than Mayfield. That turns off teammates and coaches. 

Rosen and Manziel are very different QBs on the field, but the same in their ability to be a team leader. Maybe Manziel has learned a little, maybe Rosen will too at some point.

9 minutes ago, Bring it said:

I was sure that Rosen was “the” guy for us too. Now considering  his post-draft comments I can at least get a feel for why Buffalo passed on him. Not just passed they went and got Someone Else! He is simply not a Mcd guy. Rosen is first in his own opinion and in action. Not, team first. Mayfield has been endlessly compared with Manziel in his draft days. I say that Rosen is more like Manziel than Mayfield. That turns off teammates and coaches. 

Rosen and Manziel are very different QBs on the field, but the same in their ability to be a team leader. Maybe Manziel has learned a little, maybe Rosen will too at some point.

I can’t speak to why they chose to pass.  But what Rosen said after he was selected is what I would want in my QB.  He’s a competitor, through and through.  

• Like (+1) 1

One of the biggest misconceptions around here is that everyone says the Bills ignored the QB position which isn't true. They may not have made the picks everyone wanted them to make, or drafted a QB every year, but they did just like every other team that doesn't have a franchise guy has done and tried everything to find someone who would work. They went the veteran route, they drafted guys all over the draft, went to find potential diamonds in the rough in free agency, they even trade for some. Unfortunately it didnt work out to get them a true franchise guy and they kept having to start over or build a team around what they had. They may have kept some around too long, but it's not like they didnt make an effort to get someone.

I thought Harrison Phillips was an absolute steal in the 3rd round, this guy is a hard worker, strong as an ox, smart and seems like a class act. I loved our top 3 picks , the G Teller was pretty darn good also, I think he'll at the very least light a fire under those other guys since he seems to be another high motor type imo.