Bills QB Coach David Culley

Logic

I just posted this in Shaw's thread, and it got me to thinking:

The thing that makes me most nervous about Josh Allen being a Buffalo Bill? Well, we all know that Allen was the biggest boom or bust, project quarterback in the draft. He has A LOT to work on in order to become a franchise QB in the NFL. And who are the Bills entrusting to be the quarterback coach and to mold Josh Allen? David Culley. Who is David Culley?

Well, as far as I can tell, he's been a receivers coach and offensive assistant for a number of years now. But the last time he was a QUARTERBACKS coach? If my reading comprehension is as good as I think, he last coached quarterbacks in 1988. 1988!!! And that was for the Southwestern Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. 

Allen as the potential "Franchise Guy" is nerve-wracking enough...but entrusting his development to a guy who hasn't coached QBs in 30 years and who has NEVER been an NFL QB coach? Well...that's just downright terrifying!

• Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

The thing that makes me most nervous about Josh Allen being a Buffalo Bill? Well, we all know that Allen was the biggest boom or bust, project quarterback in the draft. He has A LOT to work on in order to become a franchise QB in the NFL. And who are the Bills entrusting to be the quarterback coach and to mold Josh Allen? David Culley. Who is David Culley?

Well, as far as I can tell, he's been a receivers coach and offensive assistant for a number of years now. But the last time he was a QUARTERBACKS coach? If my reading comprehension is as good as I think, he last coached quarterbacks in 1988. 1988!!! And that was for the Southwestern Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. 

Allen as the potential "Franchise Guy" is nerve-wracking enough...but entrusting his development to a guy who hasn't coached QBs in 30 years and who has NEVER been an NFL QB coach? Well...that's just downright terrifying!

Just stop, yes he is raw, but has tremendous upside. Let's just Billieve and support our bills and our new players. Once again, I can't wait til Allen proves all the doubters wrong!!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

Don't know much about Culley, but Daboll was a rumored replacement for McDaniels in NE before we scooped him up and Josh stayed. I think he knows a little bit about offense having been hired by the BB of college and a prospect for OC in NE. I think coaching won't be that big of a worry. 

Just now, Bills4life1924 said:

Just stop, yes he is raw, but has tremendous upside. Let's just Billieve and support our bills and our new players. Once again, I can't wait til Allen proves all the doubters wrong!!!! 

I hear you. I fully plan to support the guy and hope he becomes a Hall of Famer. I do reserve the right, however, to be nervous and have doubts while doing so.

And besides, the post is about David Culley and my concerns that perhaps Allen would have a better shot at success if he had a better QB coach. Thoughts on that notion?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

I hear you. I fully plan to support the guy and hope he becomes a Hall of Famer. I do reserve the right, however, to be nervous and have doubts while doing so.

And besides, the post is about David Culley and my concerns that perhaps Allen would have a better shot at success if he had a better QB coach. Thoughts on that notion?

Good to hear, I'm tired of the negativity bout Allen. About Culley, he has been on previous staff's with great supporting coaches and well respected. I bet he learned a thing or 2. I get your concern, but I actually have faith in Culley and Daboll, 

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm not too worried about it. Our new oc has alot of experience in both the NFL and college level 

One of the things this staff has done, especially this full offseason for McBeane and Co. is to get the Folks in place they wanted all along. Lots of cross pollination and knowledge transfer from multiple disciplines of Football.
The sum of knowledge is pretty strong and crossed between recent College Teams and Old school entrenched assistants.
The scouting Team has been revamped quickly.

Daboll statistically looks like Allen lol
I like this staff 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

From the presser: Jordan Palmer will continue as a consultant but Culley and Daboll are the men right now.

It is scary.

I am extremely nervous about our QB coach, Dave Culley. He has an excellent reputation...as a WR coach. He came here from KC. What I believe happened was (and no proof just a theory) Andy Reid agreed to give McDermott a glowing recommendation (which I have read he indeed did do) in exchange for McDermott hiring Culley as QB coach.

When he came here, Reid made it a point to say the reason he was ok with Culley leaving was because Culley wanted to get his resume built for an eventual HC position. 

While Culley may not be the most experienced with QBs I have to believe that him coming here with a rookie QB is his big shot. And he has to know that. If whatever QB we draft works out it would really help him to bigger things. Perhaps an OC position down the road leading to that HC job he wants. 

Now, I don't know if Culley is a good QB coach. I've never been in a QB room with him or been on a field to hear his coaching. But when a guy has aspirations and a chance I do know if he fails, it won't be lack of effort. I believe he will go above and beyond to make his goals come true. 

Posted this on another Culley thread. Holds true today.

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

Don't know much about Culley, but Daboll was a rumored replacement for McDaniels in NE before we scooped him up and Josh stayed. I think he knows a little bit about offense having been hired by the BB of college and a prospect for OC in NE. I think coaching won't be that big of a worry. 

I'm not worried about Culley as a coach per se.  I'm worried about his knowledge of the fine points of QB technique and ability to help Allen "stay with" the improvements he's made. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not worried about Culley as a coach per se.  I'm worried about his knowledge of the fine points of QB technique and ability to help Allen "stay with" the improvements he's made. 

You would hope he picked up a thing or two from Andy Reid due to the fact he was on his staff for 15 years.

As I have posted everywhere I can, we need to find the best Quarterback Whisperer on the planet. This is a game/set/match type of decision. Get it right, no matter the cost.  Dollars cost less than draft capital. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

fair take

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen will still have Jordan Palmer as a consultant.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

As I have posted everywhere I can, we need to find the best Quarterback Whisperer on the planet. This is a game/set/match type of decision. Get it right, no matter the cost.  Dollars cost less than draft capital. 

and how exactly is that done my friend ?
I sure don't know.

Bills have Never really known nor had access to the sacred texts. That is clear enough. Let us hope whatever amalgam is brewing for the New Franchise QuarterBack is an effective Oracle

47 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen will still have Jordan Palmer as a consultant.

Odd arrangement, though, to have a guy not on the payroll being that key to your franchise QB's development.

Come on, Terry.   Drill another well and get some more coaching here....

• Like (+1) 1