Opinions on why we passed on Rosen?

On 4/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, Klaista2k said:

Rosen was talked about as probably the best pure pocket quarterback in the draft. He was available for the Bills to grab but they passed. 

Any options on why exactly we didn't like him?

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

-Concerns about playing in the cold weather?

-Was he just overrated in general?

Thoughts?

Injury concerns were probably apart of it but from what I saw was he struggled when the play breaks down,  and is why Beane said Allen can play inside and outside of the pocket meaning he didn't want someone who couldn't

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen is physically imposing and he has more upside potential than Rosen.

18 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Rosen can actually throw a football accurately and has been successful against top college talent, is way smart for a football player, and knows how to read defenses.

Exactly correct.  Beane chose athleticism, perhaps intelligence (higher Wonderlic), and potential  over polished and proficient passing skills and a higher level of demonstrated ability to read a defense and make football reactions.

Was this the right choice?  I didn't think so, but it's done now, so I'll hope for the best.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly correct.  Beane chose athleticism, perhaps intelligence (higher Wonderlic), and potential  over polished and proficient passing skills and a higher level of demonstrated ability to read a defense and make football reactions.

Was this the right choice?  I didn't think so, but it's done now, so I'll hope for the best.

The fact that he was twice concussed matters.  The fact that scouts say he holds the ball too long when pressured and takes unnecessary hits matters.  All things considered we took the better QB.  Allen is not accurate is fake news.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I thought that comment was a bit strange.  Rosen is going to show the previous 9 teams that didn't draft him that they screwed up by defeating them on the field on a consistent basis?  First of all, Josh, there were only 8 teams picking before the Cardinals as Cleveland drafted twice.  Second, apparently, the Giants, Broncos, Colts, Bears, and 49ers didn't want or need a QB so that just leaves 3 teams that you can seek your revenge on.  And since they are all AFC teams and you are on an NFC team, you only get to play them once every four years.  In summation, you may be concussed out of the league by the Rams D-line before you even get to play the Bills, Browns, or Jets.  What an insufferable, self-absorbed, d-bag he is.

He said, "There were nine mistakes made ahead of me, and I'm going to make sure they all know it was a mistake."  He could do that by having a hall of fame career.  He seems like a punk to me, but he may very well be the best QB of this draft.  Only time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The fact that he was twice concussed matters.  The fact that scouts say he holds the ball too long when pressured and takes unnecessary hits matters.  All things considered we took the better QB.  Allen is not accurate is fake news.

I don't want to "go there" with that politicized term.  Let's shift it and say you believe Allen IS accurate, and reports of spotty accuracy by scouts, media pundits, and even the QB coach who's been working with him are false (not to mention our own GunnerBill and Buffalo716). 

That seems a little unlikely to be the case - that's a lot of expertise you're writing off, including reports of people who like Allen and think he's great. You're unlikely to believe one more voice after you discount all the above, but FWIW I've watched Allen game tape and I see spotty accuracy.  Sometimes he throws lasers, and sometimes he's off.

It is true that Rosen sometimes tries too hard to extend the play, but these are common issues with competitive QB who really want to win and hate to lose, and can usually be coached out (or fade naturally when surrounded by more talent).  Whether or not a QB's accuracy can be improved at this level, is a more open question.

We hope it can.

• Like (+1) 1

Are you kidding me? One and only reason; our gm, Beane is an idiot. That’s why we passed on Rosen. Typical of the Bills, however. 

That gray cloud over the stadium just keeps

getting bigger. 

Edited by Carter
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't want to "go there" with that politicized term.  Let's shift it and say you believe Allen IS accurate, and reports of spotty accuracy by scouts, media pundits, and even the QB coach who's been working with him are false (not to mention our own GunnerBill and Buffalo716). 

That seems a little unlikely to be the case - that's a lot of expertise you're writing off, including reports of people who like Allen and think he's great. You're unlikely to believe one more voice after you discount all the above, but FWIW I've watched Allen game tape and I see spotty accuracy.  Sometimes he throws lasers, and sometimes he's off.

It is true that Rosen sometimes tries too hard to extend the play, but these are common issues with competitive QB who really want to win and hate to lose, and can usually be coached out (or fade naturally when surrounded by more talent).  Whether or not a QB's accuracy can be improved at this level, is a more open question.

We hope it can.

I know that didn't work with EJ, bur I've heard that his work over the past few months has already helped his accuracy. Let's hope so because he will be given every possible chance to succeed.

22 hours ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:
Carson Wentz 
    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career North Dakota State         392

64.1 5115 8.4 8.8 45 14 153.9
2012 North Dakota State MVC FR QB 8 12 16 75.0 144 9.0 11.5 2 0 191.9
2013 North Dakota State MVC SO QB 11 22 30 73.3 209 7.0 7.6 1 0 142.9
2014 North Dakota State MVC JR QB 16 228 358 63.7 3111 8.7 8.8 25 10 154.1
2015 North Dakota State MVC SR QB 7 130 208 62.5 1651 7.9 8.7 17 4 152.3

Josh allen

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Wyoming         365 649 56.2 5066 7.8 7.7 44 21 137.7
2015 Wyoming MWC SO QB 2 4 6 66.7 51 8.5 8.5 0 0 138.1
*2016 Wyoming MWC SO QB 14 209 373 56.0 3203 8.6 8.3 28 15 144.9
*2017 Wyoming MWC JR QB 11 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 6.9 16 6 127.8

Josh Allen one less TD then Wentz he played 15 less games also 100 less passing yards basically then Wentz again in 15 less games. Also Wentz played on a better team with better offensive line. So yes what would or could  Allen have done with 15 more games of stats.  I think probably a lot more. I will take Allen every time. 

Not fair to compare games here. I mean, in 2012, Wentz played in 8 games, but we are talking minimal appearances. In those eight games he threw a total for the season of 16 passes. Same with 2013 when he appeared in 11 games but only had 30 attempts. 

The way to compare them, obviously, is attempts. In his college career, Wentz threw 612 passes, while Allen threw 649. In those attempts, Wentz threw 45 TDs and 14 INTs while Allen threw 44 TDs and 21 INTs. Wentz had an 8.4 YPA in college while Allen had a 7.8. Wentz completed 64.1% while Allen completed 56.2%.

Allen's 100 fewer passing yards came on 37 more attempts than Wentz had.

Certainly situation, as in OL talent, schedule, etc., had something to do with it. But it just isn't fair to say that Wentz had more games, implying that Allen was much more productive. Allen threw more passes.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We hope it can.

We know it can. It has, many times. Guys like Brady, Brees and Rodgers have talked loud and long about how QB coaching has helped them, and the improvement of their results bears them out.

However, the fact that it can be improved certainly doesn't mean it always works. There are plenty of cases of guys either not improving or not improving enough with coaching. And there are also cases of guys improving and then regressing in game situations. It seems that when a guy has time on the bench to make those changes in mechanics go deep into their habit patterns, into muscle memory, they have a better chance to make it work.

The fact that Allen has improved - an awful lot - is a good sign. Certainly there's no proof that improvement will stick, but plenty of guys simply weren't able to improve. He has. That's good. There's a lot of room for hope.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

We know it can. It has, many times. Guys like Brady, Brees and Rodgers have talked loud and long about how QB coaching has helped them, and the improvement of their results bears them out.

However, the fact that it can be improved certainly doesn't mean it always works. There are plenty of cases of guys either not improving or not improving enough with coaching. And there are also cases of guys improving and then regressing in game situations. It seems that when a guy has time on the bench to make those changes in mechanics go deep into their habit patterns, into muscle memory, they have a better chance to make it work.

The fact that Allen has improved - an awful lot - is a good sign. Certainly there's no proof that improvement will stick, but plenty of guys simply weren't able to improve. He has. That's good. There's a lot of room for hope.

And they cant take hope from us can they? Great post

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Our track record of QB development isn't great, but it is a new regime so I'm optimistic.

I think we need to find a legit QB guru though.

I would love to get Jordan Palmer on board, he seems to have a great connection already with Allen.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, Woodman19 said:

His teammates didn't like him

His college coach said they wouldn't draft him #1

He couldn't bite his tongue for 5 minutes after being drafted.

Enough red flags for me.

I think his overall demeanor after he was taken shows why his teammates didn't like him and his coach wouldn't have drafted him 1.