Beane is building, this season might be a throw away

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I also believe this season is a throw away for sure! I think you start AJ McCarron 9-10 games and sit Josh Allen's keister on the bench! The goal is to stall and buy time, bring Allen along slowly. 

sink or swim. Throw him to the fire. He could start poorly, but if he never improves then he never had it to begin with. I don't mind AJ starting anyway if he can at least play at a Tyrod level.

Based on the roster, I think this is a three year rebuild.  Our defense should be in decent shape after this draft, but we will need to upgrade the O-line, RB, TE and WR positions over the next two drafts.  Barring injury, I expect one of McCarron or Peterman (I haven't given up on him yet) to start the next two years minimum (maybe three) and then Allen is ready to step in with an updated roster in 2020.   I just don't see us accomplishing much with our offensive line next year and Shady is clearly on the back nine at this point.  I see a 4-5 win team and I'm okay with that.  I think the next couple of years could be tough, but I plan to remain patient while they get this thing steered in the right direction.

5 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

sink or swim. Throw him to the fire. He could start poorly, but if he never improves then he never had it to begin with. I don't mind AJ starting anyway if he can at least play at a Tyrod level.

Allen will start this year for absolute damn sure but I would like the euphoria to wear off for Allen. I don't question his brain, heart or body but New Era stadium is freaking nuts I want him to tame his emotions before he is expected to take over. Forget next year, we want Allen to come in and start for the next 20 years, screw short term I don't care about 2018.

Edited by NewDayBills

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Allen will start this year for absolute damn sure but I would like the euphoria to wear off for Allen. I don't question his brain, heart or body but New Era stadium is freaking nuts I want him to take his emotions before he is expected to take over. Forget next year, we want Allen to come in and start for the next 20 years, screw short term I don't care about 2018.

I do, I want to see meaningful games in January because the Bills are a source of entertainment for me. I'm not the GM I'm the fan. 

The Bills may take a step back this season. If that happens I can understand it. Had a bad contract and a few players to move on from.  Honestly I've kinda had this feeling it could potentially happen, so I have already braced for impact. 

My question mark is offensive performance this season. A lot of unknowns going into this season. New back up QB and new OC to hope on. I don't doubt the defense, it's a McDermott strength proven with the turn over fest and holding the Jaguars to 10 in a playoff game. I would sign up for a similar defensive year. 

So really I am just wondering if the offense will underperform and if that happens then I guess last year's strategy will be the same this year. Get a little lead and completely depend on defense playing lights out.

No AJMcbackup hasn't proven he is better then Tyrod yet. I was ready to hold the door open for Tyrod on the way out but he wasn't so bad I'll crown the next man king without proof fam. 

Edited by Lfod

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I do, I want to see meaningful games in January because the Bills are a source of entertainment for me. I'm not the GM I'm the fan. 

I understand but when you start a new job don't you expect your employer to have a senior employee train the new hire? Especially a job like QB, which in my mind is one of the most demanding jobs on the planet, very few jobs on this Earth are harder. Give the kid some time, let him learn from a consummate professional like McCarron and let him get confident and in a good routine.

10 hours ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I think the Josh Allen pick, and the trading up for Edmunds, shows that Beane is not really worried about this season and is taking the long view. We all are talking about how many need areas the Bills still have and are lamenting the fact that we don't have the 2nd and 3rd round picks to plug those holes but we may need to come to terms with the fact that Beane and McDermott are ok with some holes going into this season.  If they were planning to be competitive in 2018, and were still planning on drafting Allen who is undoubtedly a year or two away from starting, then they likely would have kept Tyrod another season or brought in a vet free agent QB (who knows, they may still). But with no proven QB on the roster we are likely facing another "look out below" season. 

Now this is the NFL, and some younger players can surprise and teams can get hot, so you can't totally write off the season, but I would be prepared for some growing pains. The good news is we'll lose a ton of dead salary cap money after this season, something like $25 mil or so I believe, so look for Beane to be very aggressive in free agency next year. 

Keep in mind there were some Coaching over hauls as well. This is new year for the offense at least. Daboll has been described as a rather flexible Coach and is disciplined in most styles used in the NFL and college.
  How AJ does will tell a bit about what we have from the New OC .
pursuing continuous improvement as a tool. You would expect to improve each season in as many areas as you are able still thinking long term. They/method do/does not take "days off "

Good post and worth a pondering

10 hours ago, zevo said:

I think next year we get the players to put around Allen....this year will be sacrificial.

In the very loosest sense of the term I hope ?

I expect Bills will play to win. And expect to win.

Coaches never rest

11 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I think it was pretty obvious we arent going to go anywhere this year...but lets hope we stay competitive and see player improvement. 

Well it took a looooot of luck to get in last year. So yeah....this year is no different. 

Disagree...this defence will be good.  Sign a wr and we are a better team than last year with AJ

11 hours ago, Cash said:

I agree.  I still don't like the Allen pick, but I have no problem with the Bills continuing to take the long view.  Build for sustainable success.  I've been saying all offseason that next year would likely be a step back - hopefully to then take 2 steps forward.

Sure would be nice to build for the long haul with two picks in the second round and 2 in the 3rd instead of 1 tonight.

9 hours ago, cd1 said:

BS!

If you are building you use all of your wonderful draft picks to BUILD!  Beane traded away the majority of draft picks trying to hit one out of the park with a QB.

We'll see if it is a Home Run or a FOUL BALL.  But I don't think he has the luxury of an "in between" considering the draft capital spent.

IMHO

he did not do that whatsoever.

whether you liked the Players picked or not, he made very good deals on paper. Smart cookie

7 hours ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

Shouldn't that say, "Strong the confusion is, in this one"  

nit picking

you silly poster.

Good OP for real. ;)

47 minutes ago, JPP said:

AJ Mccarron

FTW

11 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The next four years will be a throwaway.

Hahahaha. This guy, though.

These comments AND "Fire Beane and McDermott" in his profile. Too funny. Wants to fire a coach and GM who brought the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years because they picked a QB other than the one that he personally liked.

Glad Johnny Flynn is back to being Johnny Flynn. Joker.

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Sure would be nice to build for the long haul with two picks in the second round and 2 in the 3rd instead of 1 tonight.

hindsight.

how does a GM win favor over you folks?

we all knew we needed a QB. and this is not a Buddy Nix desperation move to get something in the stall for the Fans.
This is what they wanted. lets see how it rolls.

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

hindsight.

how does a GM win favor over you folks?

we all knew we needed a QB. and this is not a Buddy Nix desperation move to get something in the stall for the Fans.
This is what they wanted. lets see how it rolls.

By not selling the farm to get a project quarterback won't do anything for the next couple years. If you're going to go up and get your franchise quarterback get someone who can make an impact right away not have to learn how to play the position as many analysts have said.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And Tyrods gone.

Yea, I know, Tyrod sucks. They could surprise some people if the defense is good again, but I expect a down year. Something like 5 to 6 wins. Maybe less.

sure, get on the populist band wagon riding slowly into the pits of hell. nice :angry:
Or

Consider how we were surprised as heck about that Defense last year overall. And somehow with that offense we got in.
Think back how horrible that Offense under what his name was ? and,  Every One of the wrs  calling in injured or dead . and the worlds worst QB in Tyrod Taylor. Fact ( I read )

Really think we don't have a fine chance of improvement ?

I do.
get on board Gug 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You seem to be excluding FA from some reason.

The Bills will have loads of cap room next offseason. They need to put it to good use. My guess will be for offensive lineman as the guys they have starting now are scary. 

You honestly think Allen is going to sit for two straight years? Unless McCaron is the second coming of Aaron Rodgers that ain't happening. IMO, he'll be starting by years end. Maybe get one or two starts in. 

One year is the plan to let him acclimate. He has plenty of work to do : )

they need to get the Line sorted under our Hero Castillo.
Sit the kid please

AJ is better than most of think. serviceable.

so to bolded ?

YEP

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sacrifice AJ, let Allen learn and stand a chance once he gets in. 

Cold Blooded Olde Coot are ye !