Beane is building, this season might be a throw away

I think the Josh Allen pick, and the trading up for Edmunds, shows that Beane is not really worried about this season and is taking the long view. We all are talking about how many need areas the Bills still have and are lamenting the fact that we don't have the 2nd and 3rd round picks to plug those holes but we may need to come to terms with the fact that Beane and McDermott are ok with some holes going into this season.  If they were planning to be competitive in 2018, and were still planning on drafting Allen who is undoubtedly a year or two away from starting, then they likely would have kept Tyrod another season or brought in a vet free agent QB (who knows, they may still). But with no proven QB on the roster we are likely facing another "look out below" season. 

Now this is the NFL, and some younger players can surprise and teams can get hot, so you can't totally write off the season, but I would be prepared for some growing pains. The good news is we'll lose a ton of dead salary cap money after this season, something like $25 mil or so I believe, so look for Beane to be very aggressive in free agency next year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think it was pretty obvious we arent going to go anywhere this year...but lets hope we stay competitive and see player improvement. 

Just now, Juice_32 said:

Everyone said the same thing last year.

Well it took a looooot of luck to get in last year. So yeah....this year is no different. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

I think it was pretty obvious we arent going to go anywhere this year...but lets hope we stay competitive and see player improvement. 

Well it took a looooot of luck to get in last year. So yeah....this year is no different. 

If you sniff the playoffs you can't label that "throw away".

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Everyone said the same thing last year.

And it was true last year. We caught some breaks and snuck into the playoffs. It appears though that many of us (I include myself) were thinking that if we drafted Rosen then we'd be ready to compete and win right away, but now it's rather apparent that Beane is still planning long term.

3 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

And it was true last year. We caught some breaks and snuck into the playoffs. It appears though that many of us (I include myself) were thinking that if we drafted Rosen then we'd be ready to compete and win right away, but now it's rather apparent that Beane is still planning long term.

Just now, Ramza86 said:

I guess youre right. Throwaway might not be the best word. 

But I dont see a division winning roster yet. 

I agree.  I still don't like the Allen pick, but I have no problem with the Bills continuing to take the long view.  Build for sustainable success.  I've been saying all offseason that next year would likely be a step back - hopefully to then take 2 steps forward.

15 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I think the Josh Allen pick, and the trading up for Edmunds, shows that Beane is not really worried about this season and is taking the long view. We all are talking about how many need areas the Bills still have and are lamenting the fact that we don't have the 2nd and 3rd round picks to plug those holes but we may need to come to terms with the fact that Beane and McDermott are ok with some holes going into this season.  If they were planning to be competitive in 2018, and were still planning on drafting Allen who is undoubtedly a year or two away from starting, then they likely would have kept Tyrod another season or brought in a vet free agent QB (who knows, they may still). But with no proven QB on the roster we are likely facing another "look out below" season. 

Now this is the NFL, and some younger players can surprise and teams can get hot, so you can't totally write off the season, but I would be prepared for some growing pains. The good news is we'll lose a ton of dead salary cap money after this season, something like $25 mil or so I believe, so look for Beane to be very aggressive in free agency next year. 

I'm not willing to say that. This defence is looking much more talented than last year and they played very well last season. Edmunds instantly gives us a good LB core, he is a huge upgrade over Brown. We added two really good players to the defensive line and are returning three starters in the secondary. If Davis plays the way he is capable of, our secondary will be a top 5 unit in the league. 

We also improved QB, WR, and backup RB. The oline has some question but I think Groy will have a breakout year and solidify the line. 

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I'm not willing to say that. This defence is looking much more talented than last year and they played very well last season. Edmunds instantly gives us a good LB core, he is a huge upgrade over Brown. We added two really good players to the defensive line and are returning three starters in the secondary. If Davis plays the way he is capable of, our secondary will be a top 5 unit in the league. 

We also improved QB, WR, and backup RB. The oline has some question but I think Groy will have a breakout year and solidify the line. 

I do hope you're right. And you never know, maybe this is the year the Patriots and/or the Steelers come crashing down, making it more of a scramble.

This thread makes about as much sense as all of the ones last season about how we were "tanking".   This team will be competitive THIS season, just as they were last season.  We got two very good players last night and are a better football team because of it.  Period. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, xsoldier54 said:

This thread makes about as much sense as all of the ones last season about how we were "tanking".   This team will be competitive THIS season, just as they were last season.  We got two very good players last night and are a better football team because of it.  Period. 

We could have had 6 very good players by tonight.  

13 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I do hope you're right. And you never know, maybe this is the year the Patriots and/or the Steelers come crashing down, making it more of a scramble.

But then everyone will say how the afc was weak and making the playoffs wa just a fluke?  Am I right TT haters?  

A couple points:

If they can find a nickel CB, the D should be outstanding. 

Im glad AJ will get his shot while Allen sits and learns. 

Given the schedule, their playoff shot will be determined in the second half, which wil be good for the development of the O and Edmunds. 

Don't count them out.

• Like (+1) 1