Beane is building, this season might be a throw away

Just now, nedboy7 said:

We could have had 6 very good players by tonight.  

Not if we wanted a QB other than Lamar Jackson.  If we hadn't traded up, the first round would have fallen differently.  Neither Rosen nor Allen would have been there at 12.  I'm perfectly happy with two studs instead of six average players.   We've been average long enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

Beane drafted a boom-or-bust kind of kid and brought in Mccarron as a safety net.

While I was hoping for a different name to be announced yesterday, it's hard to fault Beane's approach. 

This is better than going forward with the guaranteed mediocrity of TT.  

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, xsoldier54 said:

Not if we wanted a QB other than Lamar Jackson.  If we hadn't traded up, the first round would have fallen differently.  Neither Rosen nor Allen would have been there at 12.  I'm perfectly happy with two studs instead of six average players.   We've been average long enough. 

Allen is a stud now?  Why cause of his gorgeous hair?  It’s all good dude. If you are happy I’m glad.  There is no knowing anything to be honest.  Off to work. 

Edited by nedboy7

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Allen is a stud now?  Why cause of his gorgeous hair?  It’s all good dude. If you are happy I’m glad.  There is no knowing anything to be honest.  Off to work. 

Yes he is.  He has the best arm of any QB in the draft.  Going into the season, he was rated as the #1 QB many scouts.  He reminds me a lot of Jim Kelly.  Will he be as good as Kelly?  Who knows, but Bills fans have been bitching about not drafting a QB for years.  Now we drafted a very good one and Bills fans are still bitching.

39 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I think the Josh Allen pick, and the trading up for Edmunds, shows that Beane is not really worried about this season and is taking the long view. We all are talking about how many need areas the Bills still have and are lamenting the fact that we don't have the 2nd and 3rd round picks to plug those holes but we may need to come to terms with the fact that Beane and McDermott are ok with some holes going into this season.  If they were planning to be competitive in 2018, and were still planning on drafting Allen who is undoubtedly a year or two away from starting, then they likely would have kept Tyrod another season or brought in a vet free agent QB (who knows, they may still). But with no proven QB on the roster we are likely facing another "look out below" season. 

Now this is the NFL, and some younger players can surprise and teams can get hot, so you can't totally write off the season, but I would be prepared for some growing pains. The good news is we'll lose a ton of dead salary cap money after this season, something like $25 mil or so I believe, so look for Beane to be very aggressive in free agency next year. 

Yes, and this is actually the same approach as last year.  Clearly they are executing a plan.  They hope to be competitive while they are building, but Beane has said many times this is is a process that will take some time.  Next year they are out of cap hell and will have a group of young players to build on, and money to fill other holes in free agency.  This year is going to be very much like last year.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Cash said:

I agree.  I still don't like the Allen pick, but I have no problem with the Bills continuing to take the long view.  Build for sustainable success.  I've been saying all offseason that next year would likely be a step back - hopefully to then take 2 steps forward.

If your following Pegulas Sabres plan for long term success you might getbthere by 2025

37 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Yes he is.  He has the best arm of any QB in the draft.  Going into the season, he was rated as the #1 QB many scouts.  He reminds me a lot of Jim Kelly.  Will he be as good as Kelly?  Who knows, but Bills fans have been bitching about not drafting a QB for years.  Now we drafted a very good one and Bills fans are still bitching.

Whats his completion percentage?  Find me one w that percentage who became a stud. 

They did bring in a veteran FA at the QB position & i don't think that McD is planning on a look out below season he will depend on the process he has set in place & be as competitive as he can with the parts he puts together & that Bean gives him ! 

There are still some places they can improve & i think they will the draft isn't done as of yet & they still have FA that will come available after the draft is done & given what McBean & company has done to this point i think they will be fine !! 

But Bills fans know better so there will be a on slot of criticism no matter what they do or how they go about it !! 

53 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Same as it ever was !!!

1 hour ago, billspro said:

I'm not willing to say that. This defence is looking much more talented than last year and they played very well last season. Edmunds instantly gives us a good LB core, he is a huge upgrade over Brown. We added two really good players to the defensive line and are returning three starters in the secondary. If Davis plays the way he is capable of, our secondary will be a top 5 unit in the league. 

We also improved QB, WR, and backup RB. The oline has some question but I think Groy will have a breakout year and solidify the line. 

where did we improve our wr core? am i missing something? Kerley is such a big boost  eh?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The next four years will be a throwaway.

I don't understand the non-stop negativity.  They didn't do EXACTLY what you wanted, accept it and support the team or move on.  They didn't do exactly what I wanted, but holy $hit...

Nothing worse than just non-stop negativity and pessimism.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I think the Josh Allen pick, and the trading up for Edmunds, shows that Beane is not really worried about this season and is taking the long view. We all are talking about how many need areas the Bills still have and are lamenting the fact that we don't have the 2nd and 3rd round picks to plug those holes but we may need to come to terms with the fact that Beane and McDermott are ok with some holes going into this season.  If they were planning to be competitive in 2018, and were still planning on drafting Allen who is undoubtedly a year or two away from starting, then they likely would have kept Tyrod another season or brought in a vet free agent QB (who knows, they may still). But with no proven QB on the roster we are likely facing another "look out below" season. 

Now this is the NFL, and some younger players can surprise and teams can get hot, so you can't totally write off the season, but I would be prepared for some growing pains. The good news is we'll lose a ton of dead salary cap money after this season, something like $25 mil or so I believe, so look for Beane to be very aggressive in free agency next year. 

BS!

If you are building you use all of your wonderful draft picks to BUILD!  Beane traded away the majority of draft picks trying to hit one out of the park with a QB.

We'll see if it is a Home Run or a FOUL BALL.  But I don't think he has the luxury of an "in between" considering the draft capital spent.

IMHO

20 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Our O-line is in shambles and we gave up two 2nds to move up 5 spots for Allen and the Cards only gave up a 3rd and 5th to move up 5 spots for Rosen I say Cards got a way better deal!

Copy and paste much????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jjmac said:

I think "throwaway" is the new "tank."

Nah. We've been through this before. "Tank" should really be reserved for Browns/76ers/Astros type strategies - tearing the team completely apart with the intention of being the worst team in the league and stockpiling draft picks. This is good old fashioned "rebuilding."

20 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

I don't understand the non-stop negativity.  They didn't do EXACTLY what you wanted, accept it and support the team or move on.  They didn't do exactly what I wanted, but holy $hit...

Nothing worse than just non-stop negativity and pessimism.  

Allen is the next Favre!!!  Is that better?  Did I do what you wanted?  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Nah. We've been through this before. "Tank" should really be reserved for Browns/76ers/Astros type strategies - tearing the team completely apart with the intention of being the worst team in the league and stockpiling draft picks. This is good old fashioned "rebuilding."

Of that I have no doubt.  The trouble is that too many fans complain when we do too well and make the playoffs.