Where do you think Andre Reed sits on all-time receivers list?

folz

Just a moment of distraction from tomorrow night.

One of those dumb slideshow articles popped up on my home page, "The 25 Greatest NFL Receivers of All Time" or something like that.

I stupidly clicked on it and through the slideshow just to see where they ranked Andre. I was surprised that he was not on their list. Now, this was just some site

named newarena, so who cares, right? But I decided to look up some other sites that ranked the all-time wide receivers. The second one I saw was from

Gil Brandt at NFL.com and he did not have Andre in his list of the top 32 wide receivers all-time. I went to another list (from fansided) and Andre did not

make their top 30.

I did finally find some sites that had him ranked: Althon ranked him #18, Ranker #12, Bleacher Report #20, Swartzsports #27, nflspinzone #14. That is a lot

of disparity in how people see Andre's career; from #12 to not top 32. So it just got me wondering where you all who actually watched his career would rank him.

But first, let me make the case for Andre (as if I need to on this board):

He currently, still ranks:

#16 in career yards for a receiver

#16 in career receptions for a WR

#14 in career TDs by a WR

#5 in career postseason receiving yards

tied for #3 in most career 100-yard playoff games

Other notes:

951 receptions was 3rd all-time at his retirement

The only player other than Jerry Rice with 13 seasons of 50+ receptions

7 Pro Bowls

4 Super Bowl appearances

3 TDs in the Comeback

Where would you put Andre on the all-time list?

It's just going to get tougher and tougher to numerically "rank" WRs from the older era with the passing game opening up so much (in terms of yardage and leniency in rules), but my favorite player of all time is among the GOAT at YAC.

Who can forget the prime-time game against the Rams with Reich at QB and how he forced his way into the endzone through half the team? Or when we hosted Miami as the 1 seed in 1990 as he sliced through the middle to take a shallow crosser to the house on our opening drive? Or his first ever TD catch from Jim against the Jets where he caught a crosser over his head with one hand and tight-roped the sideline and dodged two tackles?

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

When he retired he was top 5 in a few categories 

There is a logjam at the WR position but being the prototype for the modern day big play slot receiver ( Larry Fitzgerald, victor Cruz , Isaac Bruce predecessor ) gives him some bonus

quickly without thinking around 20-28

Think about this:

Was there any WR who went over the middle like he did before Andre Reed?  I mean, not slant routes, but serious big routes.

He was the progenitor of the serious middle route.

Top 20.  Like I said. :thumbsup:

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}

I'm thinking around 20th. If I were putting a team together, I would want him as the #2 over guys I rank higher as number ones, because he was so good over the middle. For an over the middle guy, he would rank top 5. Know what I mean?

Edited by OJABBA

I think more than any other position WR should only be ranked by era.  The evolution of the passing game and the change in rules make it impossible to compare today's video game like numbers to those of the 1970's and 1980's.

In his era, he was behind Rice and Irvin.  I would place him ahead of Tim Brown.  Brown probably had more top end speed but Reed was the better overall WR.  If you just watched the two play, Irvin was the more physically gifted WR.  Largent's career was winding down.  And Monk was never the best WR on his own team despite the plethora of catches.

Reed's negatives are his lack of any truly brilliant or dominant seasons and he played in a weak AFC.  I would agree with the latter point.  The former argument could be countered that the Bills had a balanced attack with perhaps the best all-purpose RB in history, a future HOF #2 in Lofton, and an offense that could dominate games on the ground.  

• Like (+1) 1

He was an incredible player on those teams, overshadowed by Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, maybe Bennett. He did it all. he ran great routes, has great hands, was great YAC, got open deep, rarely dropped passes, fearless over the middle, won battles, would block, etc.

His downfall was he was a hothead. It cost in games, especially a playoff game against Miami and the Redskins Super Bowl.

But few WR produced or were better all around than Andre.

Andre was probably better than his stats showed because very few WR do everything well. It's probably 15-20 all-time. But an argument can be made for 11-14.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, folz said:

Just a moment of distraction from tomorrow night.

One of those dumb slideshow articles popped up on my home page, "The 25 Greatest NFL Receivers of All Time" or something like that.

I stupidly clicked on it and through the slideshow just to see where they ranked Andre. I was surprised that he was not on their list. Now, this was just some site

named newarena, so who cares, right? But I decided to look up some other sites that ranked the all-time wide receivers. The second one I saw was from

Gil Brandt at NFL.com and he did not have Andre in his list of the top 32 wide receivers all-time. I went to another list (from fansided) and Andre did not

make their top 30.

I did finally find some sites that had him ranked: Althon ranked him #18, Ranker #12, Bleacher Report #20, Swartzsports #27, nflspinzone #14. That is a lot

of disparity in how people see Andre's career; from #12 to not top 32. So it just got me wondering where you all who actually watched his career would rank him.

But first, let me make the case for Andre (as if I need to on this board):

He currently, still ranks:

#16 in career yards for a receiver

#16 in career receptions for a WR

#14 in career TDs by a WR

#5 in career postseason receiving yards

tied for #3 in most career 100-yard playoff games

Other notes:

951 receptions was 3rd all-time at his retirement

The only player other than Jerry Rice with 13 seasons of 50+ receptions

7 Pro Bowls

4 Super Bowl appearances

3 TDs in the Comeback

Where would you put Andre on the all-time list?

top 30