What bands do you hate the most?

IBTG81

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just surprised that with all of the crap out there...American Idol singers, boy bands, talentless lip-synching girls, punk rocker wannabees, geriatric rock bands, all country bands, etc, people are mostly hating the DMB. IMO, the DMB is one of the best jam bands around and has some great musicians especially Carter Beauford on drums.

I'm just surprised that with all of the crap out there...American Idol singers, boy bands, talentless lip-synching girls, punk rocker wannabees, geriatric rock bands, all country bands, etc, people are mostly hating the DMB.  IMO, the DMB is one of the best jam bands around and has some great musicians especially Carter Beauford on drums.

274092[/snapback]

I agree, the band is good, but Matthews is a horrible front man. Bland personality, atonal singing... I don't understand his popularity at all, he's a total zero.

my disliking has NOTHING to do with talent... and the thread wasn't asking anything about talent... I can dislike talented musicians, just because you are talented and can play an instrument doesn't mean what you play is loved by all. I personally can do without all the "jam bands" as you guys have called them... that is me... and to be honest with you I think their fans have actually ruined them for me and I think I hate fans of these bands more than just the bands. hard to explain, but hopefully some people will get it.

It wouldn't shock me if it happens someday, the R & R HOF is a joke. Black Sabbath and Van Halen aren't in, but Percy Sledge and the Bee Gees are? Rock and Roll Hall of Fame indeed.

As far as bands or musicians that I hate: *insert any emo/screamo band & Van Hagar

273941[/snapback]

Hey man LAY OFF the BeeGees, dammit!

Just because your kid likes sugary crap doesn't mean you should...

:w00t:

274013[/snapback]

Hot Potato hot Potato....

Potato, Potato....Potato, Potato, Potato!

Who can argue with genius lyrics like THAT?!?!

my disliking has NOTHING to do with talent... and the thread wasn't asking anything about talent... I can dislike talented musicians, just because you are talented and can play an instrument doesn't mean what you play is loved by all.  I personally can do without all the "jam bands" as you guys have called them... that is me... and to be honest with you I think their fans have actually ruined them for me and I think I hate fans of these bands more than just the bands.  hard to explain, but hopefully some people will get it.

274140[/snapback]

I hear you there...I love the Dead, but I hated the Deadheads, they were filthy and disgusting.

There are a bunch of bands today that feature lead singers with a whiny nassally voices. I can't stand that. I can't name any band names cause they all sound alike and will be gone after one overplayed hit.

There are a bunch of bands that consider themselves to be "indie" bands out there today. Independent of what? Talent? Sum 41 (to name 1 of a thousand) comes to mind.

Also, can't stand when record companies sell gansta thug music to middle America. Fifty Cent "He's right out of the hood! He got shot 9 times! Buy this CD!" is a good example. I can just see the marketing suits sitting around brainstorming how they will get him into the mass market.

My rant is done.

You shouldn't hate.

274166[/snapback]

I think that's an unfair assessment. In their earlier years "You Shouldn't Hate" was a very innovative band. It's only the last two albums that they sound like they're forcing the issue. They should have retired years ago. But that doesn't make them a terrible band.

I think that's an unfair assessment. In their earlier years "You Shouldn't Hate" was a very innovative band. It's only the last two albums that they sound like they're forcing the issue. They should have retired years ago. But that doesn't make them a terrible band.

274170[/snapback]

No, that was Yoo Shuddint Hayt.

I'm just surprised that with all of the crap out there...American Idol singers, boy bands, talentless lip-synching girls, punk rocker wannabees, geriatric rock bands, all country bands, etc, people are mostly hating the DMB.  IMO, the DMB is one of the best jam bands around and has some great musicians especially Carter Beauford on drums.

274092[/snapback]

The first four genres you mentioned are music for kids. If by geriatric rock band, you mean the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney, then I just don't see your point. So just because they are becoming senior citizens means you no longer think their music should be relevant or has suddenly become crap? I think that Mozart and Bach would take issue with that stance. Great music lasts forever.

DMB is beyond bland. I think this is why you're getting the negative DMB reaction here. I see it as the rocknroll soundtrack for soccer moms.

So just because they are becoming senior citizens means you no longer think their music should be relevant or has suddenly become crap?

274179[/snapback]

The so-called geriatric rock bands could probably retire if anyone...anyone at all...could produce music today that is worth listening to. There are a handful of good bands and the rest just produce the 21st century version of pre-programmed electronic discofunk.

The so-called geriatric rock bands could probably retire if anyone...anyone at all...could produce music today that is worth listening to. There are a handful of good bands and the rest just produce the 21st century version of pre-programmed electronic discofunk.

274197[/snapback]

The last "new" band I thought was worth it's salt was The White Stipes. I think that too many bands are put through the corporation "machine" to max their market appeal. It strips away the originality factor. It's definately getting harder to find great new bands because radio is filled with all that fluff.

274197[/snapback]

Nobody at all can produce music worth listening to today, yet there are a handful of good bands???

I stopped listening to the radio for music years ago, but when I do hear new rock music I can only tell you the type of band that I hate. I honestly don't know the names of any of these bands, but they can best be described as those who are trying really hard to sound pissed off. I call them the "fake anger bands".

274092[/snapback]

Except that Amrican Idol singers, talantless lyp-synching girls, etc etc have been around forever, so nobody really takes them seriously. This type of "music" is for people who don't really like music, but enjoy the act of shopping...people who go to Walmart for their music...nothing wrong with that, but when it comes to art, the masses are not always on the cutting edge...

Also, I have seen "all country bands" referred to by many people...I take exception. Sure, there are way more awful country acts out there, than there are good ones, but you could say that about any genre...for every 10 crappy country acts, there is one very good one...I would put Merle Haggard or Woody Gutherie up there against anyone...most rockers worth their salt have recognized this...the best stuff out there, that has resonance, in popular music, is stuff that does not stray far from country and blues roots...Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Grateful Dead, the Who, Clash, Replacements, Led Zeppelin, etc etc etc have all borrowed heavily from those sources...and I am not talking about sampling either!

There's lots of good music out there if you're willing to do a little legwork. If music really is a high-priority in your life, then seeking it out rather than waiting for it to fall into your lap via radio or American idol shouldn't be a problem.

Start here...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/

http://www.adequacy.net/index.php

It irritates me when some of these bands do crappy covers of old, crappy songs. I heard a cover of friggin Rick Springfield for christ's sake this weekend. The lack of creativity in today's music makes me want to stop listening to the radio. Oh wait, I did that about five years ago.

DMB is somewhat of a mystery to me. I tried to listen to it, the band is not bad at all, but Davie himself just doesn't do it for me. He looks like Forrest Gump up there with the guitar pulled up to his neck dancing like a goon. His voice grates on me as well. That being said, my younger sister, who I converted to things like Led Zeppelin when we were younger, has plans to go to like 5 shows in a row this summer. Spend all that money to see the same friggin show over and over???? I guess I'm a cranky old man who doesn't get it....

It wouldn't shock me if it happens someday, the R & R HOF is a joke. Black Sabbath and Van Halen aren't in, but Percy Sledge and the Bee Gees are? Rock and Roll Hall of Fame indeed.

As far as bands or musicians that I hate: *insert any emo/screamo band & Van Hagar

273941[/snapback]

yeah--I am not even sure the moody blues are in there....Percy Sledge???

273941[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that I read that Ozzy / Black Sabbath considers the RnR HOF to be a joke and wouldn't show up if they were voted in.

It irritates me when some of these bands do crappy covers of old, crappy songs. I heard a cover of friggin Rick Springfield for christ's sake this weekend. The lack of creativity in today's music makes me want to stop listening to the radio. Oh wait, I did that about five years ago.

274282[/snapback]

Covers have been a part of music forever and guys like Joe Cocker made a living being great at it. I won't disagree that there's a lack of creativity on the RADIO today because the medium is totally corporate.

Maybe XM/Sirius will save us from Clear Channel.

REO Speedwagon.

They guy next to me in college cranked them every morning when he woke up to go to his cafateria manager job....at 5:30.

Not only do I really dislike the band I still feel that anger wanting to kick the crap out of that guy.....20 years later.