Boston Globe: Why the NFL Draft Isn't As Important As It Used to Be

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe writes an interesting piece, found here: 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2018/04/18/why-nfl-draft-isn-important-used/9Tk5GkUu82JtyBX2hItrsI/story.html

The impetus of the article is that due to the new CBA and the lack of time a team can spend in practice, it is so much harder and with so many more obstacles to truly develop a player. Consider these quotes:

"The problem, the Rams found out, was that they didn’t have enough time to develop their young players, thanks to the new practice rules established by the 2011 collective bargaining agreement."

"The biggest change in today’s NFL: Time, not money, is the scarce resource."

"The biggest reason has been the reduction in practice time. Teams used to hold full-contact practices in the offseason, two-a-days during training camp, and had no limitations on full-contact practices during the regular season.....But under the new CBA, spring practices are strictly regulated with no contact, no pads, and only four hours per day at the facility. Two-a-days in training camp have been eliminated, and teams can hold only 14 padded practices throughout the entire regular season"

"These restrictions are great for the players’ health and safety, but terrible for developing young players — especially those that play in college offenses that don’t translate to the NFL."

I thought this quote was truly revealing:

"Demoff said that the Rams ran a study, and concluded that it now takes players about three years to have the same amount of practice time they would have gotten in one year under the old CBA."

I just thought this type of information is truly relevant given where the Bills are and what they're trying to accomplish. If you read the article, the Rams reference how they learned this was by getting so many picks in the RGIII trade and learning that despite all of this young, promising talent - very few panned out. You can make an argument either way for what the best way to operate the Draft would be, as the article states Demoff still believes building through the Draft is still "the best way to go", but it shows just how much the NFL has changed. It also means, projecting these young guys has been even harder than first realized (edit: under the new CBA). 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

You are competing against teams playing by the same rules. I would disagree with it making the draft less important. Instead I would say it marginally might change your strategy in the players you target. 

Talented players on rookie contracts are a hot commodity. Rookies are having huge impacts every year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2018/04/18/why-nfl-draft-isn-important-used/9Tk5GkUu82JtyBX2hItrsI/story.html

The impetus of the article is that due to the new CBA and the lack of time a team can spend in practice, it is so much harder and with so many more obstacles to truly develop a player. Consider these quotes:

"The problem, the Rams found out, was that they didn’t have enough time to develop their young players, thanks to the new practice rules established by the 2011 collective bargaining agreement."

"The biggest reason has been the reduction in practice time. Teams used to hold full-contact practices in the offseason, two-a-days during training camp, and had no limitations on full-contact practices during the regular season.....But under the new CBA, spring practices are strictly regulated with no contact, no pads, and only four hours per day at the facility. Two-a-days in training camp have been eliminated, and teams can hold only 14 padded practices throughout the entire regular season"

"These restrictions are great for the players’ health and safety, but terrible for developing young players — especially those that play in college offenses that don’t translate to the NFL."

"Demoff said that the Rams ran a study, and concluded that it now takes players about three years to have the same amount of practice time they would have gotten in one year under the old CBA."

I just thought this type of information is truly relevant given where the Bills are and what they're trying to accomplish. If you read the article, the Rams reference how they learned this was by getting so many picks in the RGIII trade and learning that despite all of this young, promising talent - very few panned out. You can make an argument either way for what the best way to operate the Draft would be, as the article states Demoff still believes building through the Draft is still "the best way to go", but it shows just how much the NFL has changed. It also means, projecting these young guys has been even harder than first realized. 

...pretty hard to deny those points.....could these be factors in what seems to be an increase in injuries?....harken back to the days of 'ol Billy Shaw in the '60's, the cigar smokin', cement mixin' beast that took time off from his regular job to come play football for the Bills at a whopping 18 grand......no flag football, pedicures or manicures ...just the damn game......and then back home to mixin' concrete......

• Like (+1) 2

When I saw that found tape of the Chiefs Dolphins Christmas day playoff game from early 70s, and hearing those guys had jobs in the offseason. in factories....sales.    Just amazing to think about.

Maybe the NFL and players can come to some agreement on more practices....yet still with minimal contact.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I just thought this type of information is truly relevant given where the Bills are and what they're trying to accomplish. If you read the article, the Rams reference how they learned this was by getting so many picks in the RGIII trade and learning that despite all of this young, promising talent - very few panned out. You can make an argument either way for what the best way to operate the Draft would be, as the article states Demoff still believes building through the Draft is still "the best way to go", but it shows just how much the NFL has changed. It also means, projecting these young guys has been even harder than first realized (edit: under the new CBA). 

Interesting article - Thank for posting!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

When I saw that found tape of the Chiefs Dolphins Christmas day playoff game from early 70s, and hearing those guys had jobs in the offseason. in factories....sales.    Just amazing to think about.

...good show and GREAT memory bro......remember that game well....Podalak was a beast as was Nicky B on the Fins "D".....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good show and GREAT memory bro......remember that game well....Podalak was a beast as was Nicky B on the Fins "D".....

Amen bro....I actually have a  handle on the Chiefs board with Podalak as my name.    Dude did all it all that night..fantastic game.

51 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The Rams ran a study that any 8th grader with a pencil, some paper, and 5 minutes of basic math knowledge could do? 

Edited by Domdab99

18 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Amen bro....I actually have a  handle on the Chiefs board with Podalak as my name.    Dude did all it all that night..fantastic game.

...won't even cheat and Google it but I think Eddie wore #14......and Dawson was the QB?.......Hank on the sideline was a given.....he was THE classic.......suit and football cleats....LMAO............

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty hard to deny those points.....could these be factors in what seems to be an increase in injuries?....harken back to the days of 'ol Billy Shaw in the '60's, the cigar smokin', cement mixin' beast that took time off from his regular job to come play football for the Bills at a whopping 18 grand......no flag football, pedicures or manicures ...just the damn game......and then back home to mixin' concrete......

Billy mixed a number of defensive tackles as well.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...won't even cheat and Google it but I think Eddie wore #14......and Dawson was the QB?.......Hank on the sideline was a given.....he was THE classic.......suit and football cleats....LMAO............

and Hank Strams rug.    The man could dress though.    Otis Taylor and Willie Lanier were my favorite players of that era.    

• Haha (+1) 1

To me the general idea is that the old standard of drafting all your best players is the “only” way to win, has changed based on an adapted business model. There is now more value placed on Vets in new ways, which based on the structured pay scale for Rookies, is most likely what the league was looking to accomplish.