Sirius XM question

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

certain people will tell you have they managed to get everything free, while it sometimes is true it usually is not quite true, their stories get better every time i hear them....

we each have our gifts for ability to eke out something weasily

calling up people like this and lying and getting a discount isn't mine, but i have some who are true whisperers at this

I don't see anyone saying they lied in order to get a deal.

I had Sirius/XM for years and - as others have stated above - they will negotiate rates.  That's not weasely, it's negotiating.  Threatening to cancel is a negotiation practice that works with satellite radio.

When my local newspaper subscription kept going up, I called and demanded a lower rate or I'd cancel.  They said there's nothing they could do.  So I canceled.  Were they weasels because they kept jacking up my price for the exact same product?

Some subscription services negotiate; others don't.  There's nothing wrong with trying to pay less for something; especially when we're forced to pay more for so many other things (gas/electricity; taxes/parking at Hammer's Lot).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Some subscription services negotiate; others don't.  There's nothing wrong with trying to pay less for something; especially when we're forced to pay more for so many other things (gas/electricity; taxes/parking at Hammer's Lot).

Absolutely...the last two times when my 5 months were up, I called to cancel, since they will automatically renew at an outrageous price, told them I'm cancelling, they basically begged me to stay and gave me 5 months for $25...how could I say no?  If they keep offering it, I'll take it.  I never beg for any discount.

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't see anyone saying they lied in order to get a deal.

I had Sirius/XM for years and - as others have stated above - they will negotiate rates.  That's not weasely, it's negotiating.  Threatening to cancel is a negotiation practice that works with satellite radio.

When my local newspaper subscription kept going up, I called and demanded a lower rate or I'd cancel.  They said there's nothing they could do.  So I canceled.  Were they weasels because they kept jacking up my price for the exact same product?

Yup.  And the company is well within their rights to say no, like your newspaper company did, and lose business.  Not very smart IMHO because they're already printing the papers (or broadcasting the music, in XM's case) and the paper delivery person is likely delivering papers to your neighbors. 

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I thought 6 month's were free.  That was on my Toyota.  On my BMW it was a year.  I know it was more than 3 months, 3 months sounds low.  Don't have to piss or get off the till then... Or at least a month 

It all depends on the deal the car company has with them. I believe my Nissan and my wife Hyundai were only 3 months. I think I heard GM is a year and some others 6 months

On 4/19/2018 at 5:07 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I don't have it now, but I'm buying a new car that has the equipment included.

So basically, it's $21 per month and it gets automatically charged to your credit card?

and they will call you twice a day until you sign up........

On 4/20/2018 at 8:25 AM, The Poojer said:

'I haven't listened to Howard Stern in years, is he still even relevant???':D

I honestly haven't listened to a show since Lena Dunham was on. It was during that interview where I realized he was a sackless has been. He soft balled questions ,coddles the stars and when I heard him interview bon Jovi I knew I made the right choice.

His news had been the only thing I attempted to listen to by Dunhams interview, as it was, literally skipping 90% of the interviews. 

His constant politicization of his show with his viewpoints was annoying.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:38 AM, row_33 said:

certain people will tell you have they managed to get everything free, while it sometimes is true it usually is not quite true, their stories get better every time i hear them....

calling up people like this and lying and getting a discount isn't mine, but i have some who are true whisperers at this

I have it for free at this point.

I'm 2005 I paid $199 for a lifetime subscription with online listening. Liked it so much I got a second lifetime the next year for $299.  My dad wanted it, as well, and got it at $399 for lifetime in '08

I basically pay $3/mos and going down. I get the app for free.  

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I honestly haven't listened to a show since Lena Dunham was on. It was during that interview where I realized he was a sackless has been. He soft balled questions ,coddles the stars and when I heard him interview bon Jovi I knew I made the right choice.

His news had been the only thing I attempted to listen to by Dunhams interview, as it was, literally skipping 90% of the interviews. 

His constant politicization of his show with his viewpoints was annoying.

I have it for free at this point.

I'm 2005 I paid $199 for a lifetime subscription with online listening. Liked it so much I got a second lifetime the next year for $299.  My dad wanted it, as well, and got it at $399 for lifetime in '08

I basically pay $3/mos and going down. I get the app for free.  

Does it carry over to new radios?  The lifetime that is... I was going to get it years ago, but only thought it was tied to a specific unit.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does it carry over to new radios?  The lifetime that is... I was going to get it years ago, but only thought it was tied to a specific unit.

I was smart enough to realize that with mobile technology it was only a matter of time until it was provided through an app. At the time in 2008 a few blackberry devices had streaming apps and iPhone was starting to make waves as 3G was changing delivery.  I was told by Sirius, after several calls, including to corporate and not giving up until I got an answer, that mobile content would be covered. 

So, to answer your question, the radio carries with it 3 transfers to new radios. I have only use it once for one radio. I have one dead stiletto 100 and 1 working. I have two backup units I bought for $50 and someone here actual mailed me their old S50.  These are plug and play devices that I can switch in different vehicles. The s100 stays in my grand Cherokee and I use the app with an aux or bluetoof the rest of the time.

Lasik and the lifetime subscription for Sirius are two of the best buys in my life.

15 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I was smart enough to realize that with mobile technology it was only a matter of time until it was provided through an app. At the time in 2008 a few blackberry devices had streaming apps and iPhone was starting to make waves as 3G was changing delivery.  I was told by Sirius, after several calls, including to corporate and not giving up until I got an answer, that mobile content would be covered. 

So, to answer your question, the radio carries with it 3 transfers to new radios. I have only use it once for one radio. I have one dead stiletto 100 and 1 working. I have two backup units I bought for $50 and someone here actual mailed me their old S50.  These are plug and play devices that I can switch in different vehicles. The s100 stays in my grand Cherokee and I use the app with an aux or bluetoof the rest of the time.

Lasik and the lifetime subscription for Sirius are two of the best buys in my life.

I was gonna buy lifetime back in 2003... But I think it was something like $699... Too much for Young Family.  I would have defiantly bit for $199...

...heck, I think I had my dial-up Earthlink account from 1995 to almost 2009...

Oh... If Sirius was smart... They'd find a way to "pop" your devices w/a signal. <_<

Not that I agree... :D

51 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I was gonna buy lifetime back in 2003... But I think it was something like $699... Too much for Young Family.  I would have defiantly bit for $199...

...heck, I think I had my dial-up Earthlink account from 1995 to almost 2009...

Oh... If Sirius was smart... They'd find a way to "pop" your devices w/a signal. <_<

Not that I agree... :D

I'd just keep using mobile on my 9 year old Verizon truly unlimited non throttled plan to stream Sirius. 

No way it was $699 in 2003. Then again, they may have dropped prices in 2005/20006 to pay gay Howard.

47 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Update:

Well, it's a moot point for now, as I picked up the car on Friday and the SiriusXM works (without me paying anything for it).

OTOH, I'm sure that I will get something in the mail in about three months that says "we hope that you've enjoyed your complimentary subscription...".

Let them come to you... Oh they will... :D Satellites are $$$$$.;)

5 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Update:

Well, it's a moot point for now, as I picked up the car on Friday and the SiriusXM works (without me paying anything for it).

OTOH, I'm sure that I will get something in the mail in about three months that says "we hope that you've enjoyed your complimentary subscription...".

Try next week, and every week after for the rest of your life. 

On 4/20/2018 at 8:38 AM, row_33 said:

Wasn’t there a thread about cars a few weeks ago, and people discussed haggling for new car prices?  There are always people who claim they took advantage of a dimwit salesman and got their car at an insanely cheap price. I never believe it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Apparently I’m quite the sucker! I’ve had it forever and never even thought to negotiate. I love it and it’s all I listen to, but I have no idea what we pay.  

Exactly... Better than stuffing your face with fast food for 30 bucks a month.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exactly... Better than stuffing your face with fast food for 30 bucks a month.

Now THERE I get serious! I avoid fat food at all costs! Sometimes you’re on the road and it’s all you’ve got, and I go light because I’d rather be a little hungry!   

:sick: 

Edited by Augie