'Buffalo Soldiers' podcast

ricojes

Ruben Brown, Donald Jones teaming up for 'Buffalo Soldiers' podcast

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/19/ruben-brown-donald-jones-teaming-up-for-buffalo-soldiers-podcast/

Donald Jones and Ruben Brown may have played football for the Buffalo Bills during different eras, but now they’ve decided to team up for a new sports podcast called "The Buffalo Soldiers," slated to debut during the week of the 2018 NFL Draft.

They said they plan to talk about sports in general, not just football. And when they do talk football, it will be about the entire league and not just the Bills.

“We’ll have a Bills piece for sure and every episode will have a full Bills segment. But we’ll also have other topics going on and guests in the studio – players, celebrities, and different analysts throughout the whole NFL, and the entertainment industry,”

The Buffalo Soldiers podcast will be filmed on Monday nights at McFadden’s Saloon, a popular Bills-backer bar based in New York City. When it starts to get more traction, Jones and Brown want to literally take their show on the road and travel to different Bills-backer bars around the country.

“We’ll shoot those shows on Saturday nights,” Jones explained. “So, if the Bills are playing in Miami one week, we’ll go down there, find a Bills backer bar and go all out.”

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 2

Has anyone stopped and asked this - if it’s a “podcast” what are they going to be “filming?”  My guess is that it will be a web-broadcast and then they’ll release the audio as a podcast?  

Either way, I wish these two the best of luck.  I listen to a lot of sports talk radio and podcasts and I am very familiar with their work.  But if I was a betting man, I don’t think this current concept will be successful or last long term.  

First off Reuben and Donald need a host to guide the broadcast.  Reuben is great on the air and Donald is ok, but I don’t think those two alone are a good combo.  I’ve heard Donald on the air without Murphy and he is actually worse.

Second the format of filming in front of a live crowd is a challenge.  Much more challenging than recording an audio podcast, which you can record anytime/anywhere.  Live shows are a big ordeal both from a logistical and technical standpoint.  Throw in the idea of travel and it’s more challenging....and expensive.  By the way...who’s financing this?

Third, the idea of a Buffalo Bills-based podcast focusing on the entire and other sports is not a great concept in the very personalized area of sports podcasts.  I feel they can’t be both - either be a podcast that covers all of sports or focus just on the Bills.  Don’t do both.   

I’m not saying that these two will flop but this current idea will not take off.  I’m hoping they make some changes because I’d like to see them succeed.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Has anyone stopped and asked this - if it’s a “podcast” what are they going to be “filming?”  My guess is that it will be a web-broadcast and then they’ll release the audio as a podcast?  

Either way, I wish these two the best of luck.  I listen to a lot of sports talk radio and podcasts and I am very familiar with their work.  But if I was a betting man, I don’t think this current concept will be successful or last long term.  

First off Reuben and Donald need a host to guide the broadcast.  Reuben is great on the air and Donald is ok, but I don’t think those two alone are a good combo.  I’ve heard Donald on the air without Murphy and he is actually worse.

Second the format of filming in front of a live crowd is a challenge.  Much more challenging than recording an audio podcast, which you can record anytime/anywhere.  Live shows are a big ordeal both from a logistical and technical standpoint.  Throw in the idea of travel and it’s more challenging....and expensive.  By the way...who’s financing this?

Third, the idea of a Buffalo Bills-based podcast focusing on the entire and other sports is not a great concept in the very personalized area of sports podcasts.  I feel they can’t be both - either be a podcast that covers all of sports or focus just on the Bills.  Don’t do both.   

I’m not saying that these two will flop but this current idea will not take off.  I’m hoping they make some changes because I’d like to see them succeed.

I think...you are.........Bucky Gleason.

I'm in the minority but I liked Donald Jones. I thought he got better of late. And Rueben is a great story teller. When Rueben used to be on with Brad Riter on WECK a few years back, he used to get a lot of old Bills teammates to call in. Not the big names but guys who contributed for at least a few seasons and had great stories to tell. If these guys do some of that, this could be very successful.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm in the minority but I liked Donald Jones. I thought he got better of late. And Rueben is a great story teller. When Rueben used to be on with Brad Riter on WECK a few years back, he used to get a lot of old Bills teammates to call in. Not the big names but guys who contributed for at least a few seasons and had great stories to tell. If these guys do some of that, this could be very successful.

I can’t see be idea described in the article as being successful.  But I spelled out exactly why as above.

I would agree that their best chance is start a Bills-focused podcast.  Ditch the live audience from McFadden’s idea.