What is your #1 QB performance metric?

My measure is did they elevate their program. I know this is more of an eye test. But DeShaun Watson elevated that Clemson program, Andrew Luck elevated the Standford program, Aaron Rodgers at Cal, Scam Newton at Auburn, Payton at Tennessee, etc. There are probably guys that have elevated their programs and haven't been good pro's, but this is usually where I start.

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Who on that list was a bad college QB?

I thought the point was what is the best metric you look at for success in the NFL? Did I miss something here?

Edited by ducej11

1 minute ago, ducej11 said:

My measure is did they elevate their program. I know this is more of an eye test. But DeShaun Watson elevated that Clemson program, Andrew Luck elevated the Standford program, Aaron Rodgers at Cal, Scam Newton at Auburn, Payton at Tennessee, etc. There are probably guys that have elevated their programs and haven't been good pro's, but this is usually where I start.

I thought the point was what is the best metric you look at for success in the NFL? Did I miss something here?

Tebow

3 minutes ago, ducej11 said:

You didn't post their NFL stats though.

2 minutes ago, ducej11 said:

He actually didn't. They won a national championship with him as a freshman playing only a couple plays a game. Chris Leak lead that team.

They went 13-1 twice in his 3 years starting in the SEC. The year after he left they went 8-5, and they've only had double digit wins twice since he left.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Mine is passing yards.

Here's my reasoning. I cannot think of a QB who throws for a ton of yards who was not at least a decent NFL starter.

If you throw for a ton of yards, that means you are moving your team down the field. The offense is working. Things are happening. Plays are being made in the passing game.

All of that means you have a foundation to build on. If it's a Carson Palmer type situation where the guy throws for 300+ all the time but also 3 INT you can try to work on that ans cut those picks down with coaching. At least the guy has proven able to move the sticks and get skill positions involved in the game. Stafford is a lot like this too. the guy throws for a ton of yards but also turns it over a bit too much.

Lots of bad QBs had a great completion %. Think trent with the Bills (he forever gets the lower case for prancing out of bounds without a care in the world on a 4th down play with the game on the line in GB).

Lots of Bad QBs have thrown for a surprising number of TD. Blake Bortles was right behind Tom Brady for the 2016 season in TD passes. But he stinks.

I always come back to yards, because it means the QB is playing the game. His job is to distribute the ball and move the team down the field, and yards are proof that he is doing that.

What is YOUR #1 QB performance metric?

Wins. What else matters?

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Good stats can messaged to make a person look better than they actually are.  

Bad stars however can't be hidden or masked.  A 33.4 QB rating sucks no mater how you try to spin it.   

That's a bad game for sure. But literally no QB has a rating that low over any sustained period. The worst for the season last year was Kizer with a 60.5

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Wins don't really correlate to QB performance is the problem. 

There is most definitely a correlation. People always with. Two  Tyrod  taylor’s “great stats“ but the truth is, he was a crappy quarterback because he could not win games when it was up to him to do so. What was it, during the last five games of that awesome push for the playoffs he couldn’t leave the team to one single touchdown in the fourth quarter. We made the playoffs because of our defense in those games.