What Exactly is the EDGE Position in the NFL?

Irv

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, see my edit. It is about rushing the passer. EDGE Rusher. Not setting the edge. That's the other side of the field.

edit: you know what, I'll split the difference. Looking back, it's tough to tell how they have these guys sorted. I'll admit, some of them will be setting an edge.

Well that's how I remember it progressing. Although my mind ain't what it used to be. I've always maintained an edge rusher is just another morphism that started with setting the edge. Runners now get to the edge. Receivers are out on the edge, and edge rushers now come off the edge when they used to just be outside rushers.

And the link I included was a whole article on players setting the edge, so I know I didn't make it up entirely, LOL.

EDIT: I realize the OP was asking about the edge "position," and my response was more a rant on the practice of current commentators overusing the term the edge. But I do believe all those terms, especially edge rusher, all originally stemmed from the practice of "setting the edge."

In this video Willie McGinest says "set the edge" 4 times in 2 minutes, finishing with the statement, "It's up to the guys up front to set the edge and make sure they contain and keep their rush lanes. And sometimes we forget that as edge rushers."

Edited by Tuco

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Seems like that name for a position slowly crept into, and now is firmly ensconced in the NFL vernacular.  Where did this term originate and what exactly does it mean? 

To me the perfect edge rusher was/is Charles Haley. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Which is why Williams was the #1 overall pick.  At his size and athleticism....he can rush from the edge and set the edge very well.

The body of Zeus but the heart and passion of me playing adult league kickball....

I think he's well below that.

I always play to win.

Played college baseball and basketball.

Stopped football before college after my second concussion and a neck stinger.

I'm 35 and play some beer league softball and rec bball still, and I play hard all the time.

Why play if you aren't playing to win??

I hate losing.

no excuses, play like a champion!!

It's honestly why I think in the NBA people place Jordan above LeBron.

Jordan HATED losing.

LeBron loves winning.

It's a subtle difference but makes a huge impact on how a player treats games.

Peyton Manning seemed like a guy who loved winning.

Tom Brady and Eli Manning seem like guys who hate losing.

Mario likes sacking QBs.

He doesn't hate to not sack a QB.

I wish he had that mentality.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think he's well below that.

I always play to win.

Played college baseball and basketball.

Stopped football before college after my second concussion and a neck stinger.

I'm 35 and play some beer league softball and rec bball still, and I play hard all the time.

Why play if you aren't playing to win??

I hate losing.

no excuses, play like a champion!!

It's honestly why I think in the NBA people place Jordan above LeBron.

Jordan HATED losing.

LeBron loves winning.

It's a subtle difference but makes a huge impact on how a player treats games.

Peyton Manning seemed like a guy who loved winning.

Tom Brady and Eli Manning seem like guys who hate losing.

Mario likes sacking QBs.

He doesn't hate to not sack a QB.

I wish he had that mentality.

Im competitive too but not in a coed kickball league.  

I played college baseball too.  

I now started training in BJJ again and once I’m back in shape, I’ll compete in tournaments....it’s tough after being out 5 years.  I’ve got to lose about 25 lbs too....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think there was just too many teams playing Hybrid 4-3/3-4 defenses with ends standing up and dropping into coverage and linebackers putting their hands in the dirt that this was just an easier way to classify players whose main goal in any defense is to get after the QB. 

...strictly opinion but perhaps hard to deny Wade is THE master at this hybrid.......and the Rams got him MORE toys....guy still has "IT" at a young 70.......

I'm driving to Charlotte so brevity is obvious.

Edge is the player that attacks from the edge. Not sets the edge. As others have pointed out.

It's the dumbest term in the league and set, imo, so teams and players can do some bull **** work around paying players who are neither LB or DE but can get to the passer.  They have short shelf lives, they're easily taken out of the game on anything less than mediocre on the DL and or with poor BD.

I hate the term edge because it's a red flag that the player can only do one thing. And in today's league where players need versatility to adapt to the speed of the game and coverage concepts it is a fad.

The edge player can seldom cover, von Miller is a LB not an Edge. An Edge may make more because sacks pay. Not LB's. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Im competitive too but not in a coed kickball league.  

I played college baseball too.  

I now started training in BJJ again and once I’m back in shape, I’ll compete in tournaments....it’s tough after being out 5 years.  I’ve got to lose about 25 lbs too....

Eff that.

Beat some @$$ in kickball!!

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly opinion but perhaps hard to deny Wade is THE master at this hybrid.......and the Rams got him MORE toys....guy still has "IT" at a young 70.......

His system doesn't seem (and I could be wrong) to be as accommodating to Ends trying to transition (hence the Quinn trade), but guys like Miller Dominate in his D. 

• Like (+1) 1