Peter King MMQB: 4/9/18.

PIZ

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I think that was more because he was at a small school, NOT because of concerns about completion percentage and accuracy, footwork, learning when to take heat off of passes so on and so forth.  Nobody had any concerns that would suggest Wentz was a developmental prospect/project.  His biggest concerns was the small school and could he compete against top level competition.

Wentz also QBd a perennial winner with multiple championships. A different level of competition but he also wasn’t playing with NFL talent on his side either for the most part. 

To me, Plan A has to be get to 2 and draft Josh Rosen.  Do what you can to try to land a deal to take him.  I'd rather suffer a little bit WITH Rosen, than to have to face him twice a season as he marches the Jets offense up and down the field.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wentz also QBd a perennial winner with multiple championships. A different level of competition but he also wasn’t playing with NFL talent on his side either for the most part. 

Exactly.  At least with Wentz there was no question to his leadership and playmaking ability within his conference.  The same cannot be said for Allen.  To Allen's credit though I don't think there is a better hash to perimeter passer in the draft.  That's what makes his arm attractive.  But his lack of anticipation struggles against Power 5 teams, accuracy concerns, completion percentage are all just way too much to factor when taking a top 5 pick.  I honestly don't see him going top 5.  Someone would have to be insane to take him there.  The draft guys are hyping him up to go there, but there is only one thing to suggest this and that's his arm.  Nothing performance wise suggests he should go in the top 5, hell even top 10.

The thing I notice about Allen is this, whether it's the small schools or the power 5 teams, he's the SAME guy.  The power 5 teams just have better athletes and they make him pay for his mistakes.  The small schools don't have the guys to make him pay for it.  With that, there's no way I could take him in the top 10 because he's going to be facing better athletes every week.  People compare him to Cam, but Cam was a winner at Blinn or Binn lol.  Then Cam went to Auburn and won again, plus he had 66% completion percentage playing the best defenses in college football.  There was no change from Cam at JuCo to Auburn.  He finally got it together.  The same swagger, the winning mentality/attitude, the same penchant for putting the team on his back.  This is why Cam got drafted early.  I don't see any of those things with Allen.

In any case we'll see how it goes but I just don't see Allen as a top 10 pick.  My hope for Allen is that he becomes something great.  But that's hope.  If I'm selecting a top 10 pick I want a safer pick.

Edited by NewEraBills

14 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I think that was more because he was at a small school, NOT because of concerns about completion percentage and accuracy, footwork, learning when to take heat off of passes so on and so forth.  Nobody had any concerns that would suggest Wentz was a developmental prospect/project.  His biggest concerns was the small school and could he compete against top level competition.

Reading this draft profile there seemed to be some questions regarding footwork, and issues with arm strength that went the other way. 

Wentz was obviously the better prospect of the two though. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/carson-wentz?id=2555259

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Reading this draft profile there seemed to be some questions regarding footwork, and issues with arm strength that went the other way. 

Wentz was obviously the better prospect of the two though. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/carson-wentz?id=2555259

This is why sometimes I think arm strength, to some degree, is overrated.  And I hate using arm talent and strength equivocally.  I'm more of the mindset of can you put the football where you need to put it on time?  To me, that's arm talent and anticipation.  I'd take that over strength any day of the week.  I'd also argue this is part of Brees' success.  He doesn't have a rocket for an arm, although it's not a weak noodle arm either.  But Brees can put the football where he needs to put it ON TIME.  This is why I'm not too down on Rudolph.  My biggest question with him is translatability.  He played in a particular offense.  Can he translate?  I think the other stuff he can work on.  Would I take him before Rosen?  NO.  Would I be angry with him as a Bill?  No.  Conversely, this is why I'm not very high on Allen but have hope for him.  Allen has strength, but his anticipation is not consistent and at times is just downright bad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Only worry about Rosen for me is the concussion history.  

QB's in preference: Mayfield, Rosen, Kyle L.  I think these guy are most day 1 ready.  

Mayfield has also had at least 2 concussions in College that I know of. 

http://newsok.com/article/5470271

I read he's also had at least 1 concussion in high school too (Mayfield said so himself). 

11 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I would imagine he got a concussion when he got smashed by that cop as well.

Lol.

I just find it odd that people use that as a knock against Rosen and not Mayfield. 

Mayfield's style could easily lead to as many concussions as Rosen's. In fact, just build a good pass protecting o line around Rosen and you won't have to worry about it as much. Where as Mayfield's play style will probably always put him at some risk of taking big hits. 

4 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Peter King from the article: "I tried to denude Brandt of everything he knows about the 2018 crop."

Once you start to see the homoerotic subtext in the football world, its hard to stop noticing it.  :(

Big words don't scare me :huh:

52 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Peter King from the article: "I tried to denude Brandt of everything he knows about the 2018 crop."

Once you start to see the homoerotic subtext in the football world, its hard to stop noticing it.  :(

You mean like Mayock talking about bubble butts and hand size obsession? 

As well as talk of penetration and tight ends? :unsure:

Edited by MrEpsYtown

The way I see it, the only thing that can prevent Buffalo from getting one of the "Big 4" QBs (assuming that they like all 4) is if both NYG and Denver want a QB.

And even at that, such a scenario can get blown up if the guy that they want doesn't fall.

For example:

Cleveland takes Allen

NYG take Darnold

NYJ take Rosen or Mayfield

Cleveland takes one of Barkley/Chubb/Nelson/Fitzpatrick

Denver has to want whoever's left between Rosen or Mayfield in order for Buffalo not to be able to get one of them at 5, 6, or 7.

The other scenario is:

Cleveland takes Darnold

NYG takes one of Barkley/Chubb/Nelson

NYJ takes one of Allen/Rosen/Mayfield

Cleveland takes one of Barkley/Chubb/Nelson/Fitzpatrick

This is a much better situation for Buffalo, because now 2 of the Big 4 are left at Denver's pick, which means Buffalo can get one of them at 5, 6, or 7.

6 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

From Orlovsky ... 
Goes right to my point of thinking a QB will make massive leaps forward in the pros. It's incredibly difficult to change the muscle memory once you get to the pros. If you don't see improvement in college - and I mean, legitimate growth - thinking it is going to come under the stress of the pro game you're really bucking huge headwinds.

It really comes down to how much work they are willing to do during off season.  If they treat it as a vacation as many do expecting them to be red shirted they will not improve.  If you are a first round pick you have plenty of money to get someone to work with you in off season to grasp NFL concepts, to keep in shape and to spend time to make sure you can be ready in camp  to learn.

This piece just indicates to me that Cleveland is in all likelihood taking Darnold. They'd be crazy not to - he's the best qb prospect in the draft. I'm pretty sure Cleveland realizes that, and I wish they'd just sign him now so that we can move on to the next phase: the Bills-Giants trade!

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, BuffaninATL said:

very doubtful to me that Rudolph or Jackson will last until the 2nd, even though some may not have 1st rd grades on them. 

This would actually be a great outcome for the Bills if both Rudolph and Jackson went in the v1st as this means a brun on QBs that allows some high quality players like Chubb to slip down the Board.

Particularly if the talk of Incognito retiring are true, giving away our 1sts to move up to #2 means that Darnold or one of the Josh's we get is not only playing with a team with leavings at LB, no highly rated back-up for the great player but over 30 Shady and a couple of players short at WR, but this rookie is protected by huge holes at C and G.

The smart football move here is to follow bthe method Pitts used when they built the team first and then acquired Big Ben to take them to SB glory.

Trading up for the Giants #2 almost certaiinly leads to the start of the next 17 year drought.