One, two, three of four QBs for the Bills?

So everyone's been asking: "Which QB are the Bills interested in?"

But I'm wondering if that's too narrow a focus...

Could it be that the BIlls are ok with any of the top two, or three, or four QBs? (Or more?). Maybe they truly see a few of them as absolutely equivalent?

Would a trade to #5 (for example) be "ok" with Beane et al if either of their top 2 (or 3) QBs were there? Or even staying put at #12 if one of their top 4 "I'd be happy with any of them" were still available?

So--are there QBs the Bills would be happy with? And (maybe more importantly) are there any that they would NOT take?

(Thinking back--I'm betting anyone would be happy with Kelly, Elway or Marino...so that's kind of the idea).

Would love to hear what other folks on the board think....

2 minutes ago, dtgolder said:

Could it be that the BIlls are ok with any of the top two, or three, or four QBs? (Or more?). Maybe they truly see a few of them as absolutely equivalent?

Would a trade to #5 (for example) be "ok" with Beane et al if either of their top 2 (or 3) QBs were there? Or even staying put at #12 if one of their top 4 "I'd be happy with any of them" were still available?

So--are there QBs the Bills would be happy with? And (maybe more importantly) are there any that they would NOT take?

(Thinking back--I'm betting anyone would be happy with Kelly, Elway or Marino...so that's kind of the idea).

Elway won 2 Superbowls, Kelly went to 4 Superbowls (in a row), Marino zero. there are differences, even if subtle.

Edited by Foxx

17 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Elway won 2 Superbowls, Kelly went to 4 Superbowls (in a row), Marino zero. there are differences, even if subtle.

That doesn't tell the whole story.  Tony Blackledge was drafted 7 spots before Kelly and Tony Eason 12 spots before Marino and Ken O'brien 3 spots before Marino.  The point is QB's never pan out in the order they were drafted.  The likelihood of more than one QB drafted lower than one or more will turn out better.  There's a big element of luck involved but it's precisely why the premise of liking several the same (said by OP) is foolish and also why if they decide to go with Rudolph for example - fans should understand a QB or two will be better than their draft order.  We fans have opinion but know very very little.  No choice but to hope they get it right and not get all nuts if it's not what we individually want.  

6 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Tony Eason was in one as well.

So did Rex Grossman.

Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Superbowls.

25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Yes, there are differences.

Your examples of why are completely off the mark though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dtgolder said:

I think Mr Beane is the person you need to ask.

There hasn't been much that would really even let someone speculate either - although they will anywah.

Maybe that's what you were after though!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe that the Bills are "okay" with more than 1 QB at any specific draft slot because they have all the QBs in a definite rank order.  I think they have only 1 QB they're willing to trade up to get.  If they don't trade up to get that QB and he were to fall to #12, they would still take him over whomever they had slotted as the QB they would take at #12 because they believe he's a better prospect.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Marino played in one Super Bowl 

9 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

My bad.

Just saying that saying one QB went to more Superbowls as to why there are differences isn't really a great way to do it.

If the Bills had drafted Marino instead of Kelly many of the dynamics change.  Marino comes in, starts, Bills win more, don't have the ability to draft the players they do in 1985, so we don't get Bruce or Andre and we don't go to 4 Super Bowls.

Kelly comes in with pieces in place and is one of the final pieces with Steve Tasker, Shane Conla, Biscuit, Odems, Tasker and Thurman finish the mix.

My point is this, a franchise QB with a less then stellar cast around him isn't in a position to succeed.  Build the team, then get the QB as the final piece to the puzzle.

My solution is ensure you get Lamar Jackson, hopefully at 12, or trade up maybe to 9, keep most of our draft capital and make the roster more solid, develop Jackson, add the final pieces in 2019 free agency and draft and be a serious contender in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

If the Bills had drafted Marino instead of Kelly many of the dynamics change.  Marino comes in, starts, Bills win more, don't have the ability to draft the players they do in 1985, so we don't get Bruce or Andre and we don't go to 4 Super Bowls.

Kelly comes in with pieces in place and is one of the final pieces with Steve Tasker, Shane Conla, Biscuit, Odems, Tasker and Thurman finish the mix.

My point is this, a franchise QB with a less then stellar cast around him isn't in a position to succeed.  Build the team, then get the QB as the final piece to the puzzle.

My solution is ensure you get Lamar Jackson, hopefully at 12, or trade up maybe to 9, keep most of our draft capital and make the roster more solid, develop Jackson, add the final pieces in 2019 free agency and draft and be a serious contender in 2019.

Tasker twice is cool; he rarely gets credit at all. 

20 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

If we draft well keeping all our picks we'd have a great young team

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Jesus Christ can we just draft a freakin QB already....

Even when the Bills get their QB the madness won't stop.  Because many posters don't just want the Bills to get a QB; they want the Bills to get the QB they want them to pick or the pick doesn't mean anything to them.  Even if the QB the Bills pick is the guy they vetted and wanted. Fun times on the way...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

That doesn't tell the whole story.  Tony Blackledge was drafted 7 spots before Kelly and Tony Eason 12 spots before Marino and Ken O'brien 3 spots before Marino.  The point is QB's never pan out in the order they were drafted.  The likelihood of more than one QB drafted lower than one or more will turn out better.  There's a big element of luck involved but it's precisely why the premise of liking several the same (said by OP) is foolish and also why if they decide to go with Rudolph for example - fans should understand a QB or two will be better than their draft order.  We fans have opinion but know very very little.  No choice but to hope they get it right and not get all nuts if it's not what we individually want.  

Your post count indicates that you've been around long enough to know that's not the way things work around here. Rational thought has no place on this board at this time of year.

5 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Even when the Bills get their QB the madness won't stop.  Because many posters don't just want the Bills to get a QB; they want the Bills to get the QB they want them to pick or the pick doesn't mean anything to them.  Even if the QB the Bills pick is the guy they vetted and wanted. Fun times on the way...

Now here is a guy who gets it. ;)

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Jesus Christ can we just draft a freakin QB already....

There is zero difficulty with drafting a QB. They're all over the place. The problem is getting a good one. That's a more refined problem.