Mason Rudolph to Have Pre-Draft Visit With the Bills

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'd rather take Mike White in a later round vs. Rudolph as a 1st round pick. 

I dunno.  If I think Rudolph is a tier two guy/maybe borderline 1 and I see White is a tier 3 guy, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on Rudolph, especially since QB is an area on our team that is a problem and needs to get fixed.  I think if you pass up there is something that you will miss out on.  Again, I'm not saying that 1st round, especially at 12, is his actual value, but if I have him graded higher than White by a decent margin and given whatever happens with the guys I have rated in front of him I'd go ahead and pull the trigger.  

Let me provide another example using the Giants.  Your team has problems that need to get fixed or else you are in the same position.  What needs fixing for them?  OL and HB.  Those are immediate.  Sure taking a future signal caller would be a good move, but if I do that I still have these two problems.  The way I think about it is I need the best talent I can get that's on the board to help me fix this problem.  If I'm Gettleman, with the 2nd pick in the 2018 NFL draft the NY Giants select either

1)  Quenton Nelson

2)  Saquon Barkley

3)  Trade and take Hernandez and Guice if I have them graded relatively close to Nelson and Barkley

Those are my options.  Selecting a future signal caller is not going to help me solve the biggest problem on my team.  Now, if I think Eli is done then QB is the biggest problem so then my thinking changes.  To me, Fix your biggest problems with the best available players even if I think they probably should go a little later.  I admit, it is a strategy that has its flaws too.  But you only find out after the fact, which when it comes to the draft, no matter what strategy you take, you only find out after the fact.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I personally think the Bills at #22 is Rudolph's draft ceiling. I very much doubt he goes before that.  

I don't disagree, I'm just saying, what if the Pats are not bluffing.  You sit at 22, the Pats are 23 and 31.  You don't take Rudolph at 12, the Pats will jump you before 22.  Then you have to get a little more desperate to land Falk or White.  Either way you're going to have to take a guy before your projected value area for him.

Preferably we get to a spot where we can take Rosen or Mayfield but if we can't I'm just saying it makes it very difficult to sit and wait because of inflation.

Edited by NewEraBills

49 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I just don't think we have anywhere near the skill talent to allow Rudolph to be successful.  Someone brought up Dalton, take out AJ Green and what is Dalton?  Rudolph played with superior talent at Oklahoma St, Washington and Ateman are NFL WRs, in a conference notorious for a lack of defense and they still topped out as a 10-3 team that would get trounced in their one big game (Oklahoma) annually.

I believe if put into the right situation, Rudolph has a chance to grow into a NFL stater.  I do not believe we are the right situation and that's just not something you take a pick 22 (much less pick 12).  If he goes somewhere like Pittsburgh, sits for a year or more, then succeeds with Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell there would be people here saying "I told you so" without the ability to understand the difference between the two situations.

I don’t think they are going to draft Rudolph but if they did, it’s not just for 2018. Looking at the offensive weapons the Bills have today is not going to be the same as what they have when the season starts let alone what they will have next year and after. He might not even play in 2018. I believe the plan is to build up the weapons, but they have to have the QB in place. They will add WRs, TEs and RBs as part of building the team. Similar to Philly, Chicago, etc who rebuilt the QB position. It was more than a one year process 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, NewEraBills said:

I dunno.  If I think Rudolph is a tier two guy/maybe borderline 1 and I see White is a tier 3 guy, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on Rudolph, especially since QB is an area on our team that is a problem and needs to get fixed.  I think if you pass up there is something that you will miss out on.  Again, I'm not saying that 1st round, especially at 12, is his actual value, but if I have him graded higher than White by a decent margin and given whatever happens with the guys I have rated in front of him I'd go ahead and pull the trigger.  

Let me provide another example using the Giants.  Your team has problems that need to get fixed or else you are in the same position.  What needs fixing for them?  OL and HB.  Those are immediate.  Sure taking a future signal caller would be a good move, but if I do that I still have these two problems.  The way I think about it is I need the best talent I can get that's on the board to help me fix this problem.  If I'm Gettleman, with the 2nd pick in the 2018 NFL draft the NY Giants select either

1)  Quenton Nelson

2)  Saquon Barkley

3)  Trade and take Hernandez and Guice if I have them graded relatively close to Nelson and Barkley

Those are my options.  Selecting a future signal caller is not going to help me solve the biggest problem on my team.  Now, if I think Eli is done then QB is the biggest problem so then my thinking changes.  To me, Fix your biggest problems with the best available players even if I think they probably should go a little later.  I admit, it is a strategy that has its flaws too.  But you only find out after the fact, which when it comes to the draft, no matter what strategy you take, you only find out after the fact.

I don't rate Rudolph that high obviously.   I see them in the same class as prospects who need development.

Before the Bill's moved up to 12 I was perfectly fine with Rudolph in the 20s.

However, we've moved up and a lot of chatter about us trying to get the second overall pick...

It would be like walking into the dealership looking to buy a Porsche and walking away with a Toyota.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: What the heck did Mason Rudolph win?  With better talent I might add. 

More bowl games than Rosen. Probably more games. And I disagree with more talent. Bruins have sent more players to the NFL Draft.

I think Seattle at #17 is a prime target for either the Pats or Bills to make a small jump and land Rudolph.

The Seahawks are in re-build mode, and dont have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. #22 and #53 should get us to #17. And I dont think the Pats would be willing to trade both 1sts just to move up 5 spots.

Here is the issue....This guy is not better than AJ McCarron and his upside is pretty much the same as Nathan Peterman. He does not move the needle, so it makes no sense. His ceiling is probably something slightly below Andy Dalton and his floor is Bryce Petty. His most likely outcome is Brandon Weeden/Landry Jones. That just isn't getting it done guys. If he is there in the third, fine. 

This franchise needs a true, high ceiling, franchise quarterback, not some middle of the pack guy. We just got rid of one of those and have two on the roster. 

Darnold or Rosen. Even Allen or Mayfield. Not this guy. Even Jackson has a huge upside in comparison to Rudolph. If you aren't getting one of the top guys, don't bother. 

Beane strikes me as a guy who is not going to draft a quarterback just to draft one. He is not likely to overdraft a 4th round pick either.  

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't rate Rudolph that high obviously.   I see them in the same class as prospects who need development.

And that makes all the difference.  If I see them as very similar I completely agree with you.  But if I think Rudolph is a level above White, then that makes all the difference too.  In the end it's just how the Bills have these guys graded.  Man I really don't want to watch more film LOL.  I watched some Rudolph film a week and a half ago and I stopped watching after that Texas Longhorns game.  The first game I didn't know where to place him because this was a game where he shined.  But then that Texas game, he struggled vs tight man coverage.  I turned it off.

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

More bowl games than Rosen. Probably more games. And I disagree with more talent. Bruins have sent more players to the NFL Draft.

Rudolph played with Washington and Ateman as his WRs.  Where's the merit in your disagreement?

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

And that makes all the difference.  If I see them as very similar I completely agree with you.  But if I think Rudolph is a level above White, then that makes all the difference too.  In the end it's just how the Bills have these guys graded.  Man I really don't want to watch more film LOL.  I watched some Rudolph film a week and a half ago and I stopped watching after that Texas Longhorns game.  The first game I didn't know where to place him because this was a game where he shined.  But then that Texas game, he struggled vs tight man coverage.  I turned it off.

Bingo!

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Here is the issue....This guy is not better than AJ McCarron and his upside is pretty much the same as Nathan Peterman. He does not move the needle, so it makes no sense. His ceiling is probably something slightly below Andy Dalton and his floor is Bryce Petty. His most likely outcome is Brandon Weeden/Landry Jones. That just isn't getting it done guys. If he is there in the third, fine. 

This franchise needs a true, high ceiling, franchise quarterback, not some middle of the pack guy. We just got rid of one of those and have two on the roster. 

Darnold or Rosen. Even Allen or Mayfield. Not this guy. Even Jackson has a huge upside in comparison to Rudolph. If you aren't getting one of the top guys, don't bother. 

Beane strikes me as a guy who is not going to draft a quarterback just to draft one. He is not likely to overdraft a 4th round pick either.  

Rosen, YES.  Mayfield.  YES.  I'm not sold on moving a lot of assets for the rest.  I like Darnold in the 10-12 range; Allen not before 12.  But I get it.  Inflation so you'll have to overpay.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Rosen, YES.  Mayfield.  YES.  I'm not sold on moving a lot of assets for the rest.  I like Darnold in the 10-12 range; Allen not before 12.  But I get it.  Inflation so you'll have to overpay.

I understand inflation and overpaying for upside. All of those guys are clearly top 15 picks, so drafting them in the top ten is not a huge reach. Taking a 3-4th round pick at 12 is what gets people fired. Its drafting EJ Manuel in the first, its drafting Cody Kessler in the third. Its lunacy. 

3 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

25/38 282 0/0... not an ideal game but also not necessarily struggling.

Rudolph absolutely needed to display better anticipation, but it's also Gundy's offense that predicates the reads and where to go with the ball. Very similar to the offense Baker ran.

That being said, like Big Ben you can take someone like Rudolph and work them from game manager to legit big time QB.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is. 

I know you do a significant amount of study so I value your feedback. So I'll ask, how much better is he in your estimation? Does he move the needle? Is he that significant of an upgrade that we need to go and draft him the first round. To me these guys are both middle pack, possibly average to below average starters. 

He is not a first round talent. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

25/38 282 0/0... not an ideal game but also not necessarily struggling.

Rudolph absolutely needed to display better anticipation, but it's also Gundy's offense that predicates the reads and where to go with the ball. Very similar to the offense Baker ran.

That being said, like Big Ben you can take someone like Rudolph and work them from game manager to legit big time QB.

Doesn't have the talent to make Big Boy or Big Ben throws into tight windows at the NFL level. 

• Like (+1) 1