Mason Rudolph to Have Pre-Draft Visit With the Bills

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

25 years in the qb desert.  We finally invest in getting the draft picks to get a true potential franchise qb and we are going for the next Andy Dalton?  Horrible.

Not only that but there are teams willing to trade out of position to draft a QB. It's a very rare situation and the Bills need to take advantage of it. They missed out on the the Colts pick, they need to go get their guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, billspro said:

Now we know plan B. I would be happy with Rudolph at 22. 

Here is the problem with "Rudolph at 22".

You have a host of teams that likely could move up to take Rudolph ahead of you. NE, Pittsburgh, easily are two teams that could do that. There's nothing that says Arizona doesn't get a twitchy feeling above you.

If it's Rudolph, it's Rudolph at 12 - because nobody is going to move to 11 to take Mason Rudolph. But if you haven't taken a QB at 12 everyone in the NFL knows you are sure-as-$hit taking one at 22 and you are forced to pre-empt them ("Hey Beane - I got Belichek on the other line. You want #15? It will cost you 22, 54 and 65").

If Mason's your guy I think you bust that move early.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

This is disappointing. Playing QB isn't about the long ball its about short quick passes. 

Depends on the offense. Steelers play long ball offense. Packers. Panthers. Viks. Eagles. Chiefs. Redskins. Bengals. Also don't buy this he's only a long ball thrower. It's not true.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

25 years in the qb desert.  We finally invest in getting the draft picks to get a true potential franchise qb and we are going for the next Andy Dalton?  Horrible.

Completely agree.  That's a factor that I think largely gets ignored by the pro Rudolph crowd.  If we supposedly load up all in to get one of the QBs and we "Losman" the pick again, the kid is going to have zero rope with the fanbase.  I just don't think we present an opportunity for Rudolph to be successful.  IMO the only options for QB are a trade up for a top 4 guy, maybe Lamar if he fell to 22, or waiting until round 3-4 and going with McCarron, rookie QB, Peterman.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tighter windows in the NFL will give him a ruse awakening.  The NFL ain't the Big 12. 

That'll happen to all of them. He needs time sure. But I don't think they Bills will start any rookie QB unless its Jackson because he can run away from trouble.

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

Depends on the offense. Steelers play long ball offense. Packers. Panthers. Viks. Eagles. Chiefs. Redskins. Bengals. Also don't buy this he's only a long ball thrower. It's not true.

It doesn't matter if teams throw down field more than others, the majority of every QBs attempts are 10 yards and under. It's not even close. Basically everything is under 25 yards, even for big arm QBs. 

54 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

not only that we may get stuck at 12 and look to take him, but teams will look to leapfrog us. we may have to go up a few spots just not to lose him. funny how the perennial playoff teams show more interest in him and yet on this board, he's a loser.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Completely agree.  That's a factor that I think largely gets ignored by the pro Rudolph crowd.  If we supposedly load up all in to get one of the QBs and we "Losman" the pick again, the kid is going to have zero rope with the fanbase.  I just don't think we present an opportunity for Rudolph to be successful.  IMO the only options for QB are a trade up for a top 4 guy, maybe Lamar if he fell to 22, or waiting until round 3-4 and going with McCarron, rookie QB, Peterman.

Yeah, we are on the same page.  If Cleveland takes Darnold at 1, I think there is a reasonable chance we will pay a king's ransom for 2.  I suspect we may take Allen in that case.  If Cleveland takes Allen, I think Giants may take Darnold at 2.  Jets will go for Rosen at 3 in any case, imo.  Would Cleveland trade 4?  I think they take Chubb and Barkley falls a bit.  My guess is we would trade 12 and 22 to the Colts for 6 and take Mayfield if the Broncos pass on him (I think they will.)  If neither of these scenarios work out, I would consider Lamar at 22 if he is there.  Otherwise, I take Mike White later in the draft, but if we miss out on one of the big four, it will be a major disappointment and a sign that Beane got blindsided by the Jets.

I locked in on Rudolph during the preseason as my sleeper pick. Kinda surprised he didnt grade out higher, but what do I know.

I'm all about trading up to #2 and getting a top guy, getting THE guy. But if that can't happen, and we could land Rudolph at #22, I'd be pretty happy with that value. As long as Jackson is still available for AZ at #15, I think we could land Rudolph.

Maybe grab a LB at #12, then package #22 and #53 to move up a little so Pats cant jump us for Rudolph.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No matter who the draft he's gonna sit. Also all of these top 4 QBs are overrated and have an Andy Dalton aspect to them. I don't love Rudolph but I think he has just a good a chance to make it in the NFL as Darnold and I just believe he fits personality types for Beane and McDermott. I've said all along the only two I want are Mayfield and Jackson.

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

That'll happen to all of them. He needs time sure. But I don't think they Bills will start any rookie QB unless its Jackson because he can run away from trouble.

Yeah, lets get that ACL tear over with so we can move on and draft another QB in 2019.

17 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I just don't think we have anywhere near the skill talent to allow Rudolph to be successful.  Someone brought up Dalton, take out AJ Green and what is Dalton?  Rudolph played with superior talent at Oklahoma St, Washington and Ateman are NFL WRs, in a conference notorious for a lack of defense and they still topped out as a 10-3 team that would get trounced in their one big game (Oklahoma) annually.

I believe if put into the right situation, Rudolph has a chance to grow into a NFL stater.  I do not believe we are the right situation and that's just not something you take a pick 22 (much less pick 12).  If he goes somewhere like Pittsburgh, sits for a year or more, then succeeds with Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell there would be people here saying "I told you so" without the ability to understand the difference between the two situations.

Situation certainly matters, I don't doubt that. It is hard when discussing fit of any of these guys on the Bills because I have no idea what our offense is going to look like.  I don't even know what Daboll wants to run.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, lets get that ACL tear over with so we can move on and draft another QB in 2019.

At least he'd be productive. I doubt they'd start Darnold in 2018 unless it's week 10. Same for Rosen. Mayfield is the other I think would play early. And then there's Allen who shouldn't see the field in 2018. So what are we saying? Either way we won't know what he is until 2019 anyhow.

40 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

No they don't. Bills fans wanted DeShone Kizer, Chad Kelly, Paxton Lynch, Kevin Hogan, Bryce Petty, Johnny Manziel, Zach Mettenberger, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Landry Jones, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen and tons of other ****ty players over the years.

but.....we haven't seen enough of chad kelly to call him a bust yet.....

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rosen is a day 1 starter. 

Honestly, I have two guys that I'd trade up for that's it.  The Bills FO probably has more but to me, if it's not for Rosen or Mayfield, I'm not moving.  Darnold's turnovers, and throwing motion concern me.  I'd take him around 10/12 but not before that.  Allen I'd sit right at 12 and take him.  Way too many concerns about him to move up and take him.  Rudolph I wouldn't trade up for, but because of inflation would probably take him at 12.  That's just how I see it.  Outside or Rosen or Mayfield, I'm not giving up the assets for the other guys.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

At least he'd be productive. I doubt they'd start Darnold in 2018 unless it's week 10. Same for Rosen. Mayfield is the other I think would play early. And then there's Allen who shouldn't see the field in 2018. So what are we saying? Either way we won't know what he is until 2019 anyhow.

Yeah, I dont know who will start where and when, but given recent history, I wouldnt be surprised with any of these guys starting from Day 1. Nor would I be against it.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Trubisky, Wentz, Goff, Winston, Watson, etc... If they can start right away, so can Rosen, and maybe even a couple more from this draft

Those players are better then Rosen IMO. Also I don't believe all of those you mentioned started game 1.

Edit: I don't think Trubisky is better than Rosen.

Edited by CuddyDark

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

Honestly, I have two guys that I'd trade up for that's it.  The Bills FO probably has more but to me, if it's not for Rosen or Mayfield, I'm not moving.  Darnold's turnovers, and throwing motion concern me.  I'd take him around 10/12 but not before that.  Allen I'd sit right at 12 and take him.  Way too many concerns about him to move up and take him.  Rudolph I wouldn't trade up for, but because of inflation would probably take him at 12.  That's just how I see it.  Outside or Rosen or Mayfield, I'm not giving up the assets for the other guys.

I'd love to have Darnold, but I would sit him behind AJM. I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on Rudolph.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

Mason Rudolph QB at #12

Leighton Vander Esch ILB at #22

James Washington WR at #53

Donte Jackson CB at #56

GET R DUN!

The closer it gets to draft day, the more I’m on board with a scenario like this. If he isn’t a huge drop off from the top 4 guys then let’s keep our picks and take him at 12. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'd love to have Darnold, but I would sit him behind AJM. I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on Rudolph.

Someone probably will. I can't see team allowing the "2nd level QB's" get out of the bottom of round one because they get a 5th year option on them.

2 minutes ago, Don't stop billievein said:

The closer it gets to draft day, the more I’m on board with a scenario like this. If he isn’t a huge drop off from the top 4 guys then let’s keep our picks and take him at 12. 

I think he is a significant drop off and it would be a criminal overpay to take him at 12.

I think he will be available at 22 unless someone like the Pats jump up and grab him. It would be ridiculous to take him at 12 and miss out on a guy like Roquan or Vea. I'm not a supporter of drafting him, but that's the way I see it.

Edited by Will-GM-for-food
Typo

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Trubisky, Watson and Goff didn't.  

And the two who did start right away won college championships, are big time leaders and love football more than anything. Rosen is a pretty boy, everything must be right kind of QB. He's gonna be Matt Ryan or a Ryan Tannehill type. Injured. Pouty. Follower. You have to build an outstanding team for a player like Rosen. And he never wins.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea I wouldn't take Rudolph at #12. At #22 I would be okay with it.  

You are considerably higher on Rudolph than I am.  I admit you have a more professional eye, but I'm still going with my own assessment.  At 22, I can barely tolerate Rudolph.  I would hope a lb would be available at 12 (UGA fan, so I love Roquan Smith.)  All that said, I am not a hater who wants to be proved right at any cost.  Rudolph is a likeable fella and I will root for him to be great if we take him.  I just want more than the next Andy Dalton.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I wouldn't take Rudolph at #12. At #22 I would be okay with it.  

Only problem is because of inflation and because QB is a problem area that needs to be fixed for the Bills you'd probably have to take him at 12.  I definitely don't think he should go there, but hey, if you say I'll take him at 22 then you better get ready to trade up for Falk or White later.  What can you do?

Just now, Dr. Who said:

You are considerably higher on Rudolph than I am.  I admit you have a more professional eye, but I'm still going with my own assessment.  At 22, I can barely tolerate Rudolph.  I would hope a lb would be available at 12 (UGA fan, so I love Roquan Smith.)  All that said, I am not a hater who wants to be proved right at any cost.  Rudolph is a likeable fella and I will root for him to be great if we take him.  I just want more than the next Andy Dalton.

My preference is to trade up as you know.  But if the choice is the next Andy Dalton or AJ McCarron I'll take the next Dalton.  There is a reason McCarron never beat him out.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CuddyDark said:

And the two who did start right away won college championships, are big time leaders and love football more than anything. Rosen is a pretty boy, everything must be right kind of QB. He's gonna be Matt Ryan or a Ryan Tannehill type. Injured. Pouty. Follower. You have to build an outstanding team for a player like Rosen. And he never wins.

Disagree on Rosen, but we're all just guessing.

I do have to take umbrage with your assessment of Matt Ryan. The Bills would be LUCKY to end up with a Matt Ryan at QB.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Only problem is because of inflation and because QB is a problem area that needs to be fixed for the Bills you'd probably have to take him at 12.  I definitely don't think he should go there, but hey, if you say I'll take him at 22 then you better get ready to trade up for Falk or White later.  What can you do?

I personally think the Bills at #22 is Rudolph's draft ceiling. I very much doubt he goes before that.  

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

:lol: What the heck did Mason Rudolph win?  With better talent I might add. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Disagree on Rosen, but we're all just guessing.

I do have to take umbrage with your assessment of Matt Ryan. The Bills would be LUCKY to end up with a Matt Ryan at QB.

Not a guess at all. That is who he's been. He gets injured. No one describes Rosen as the leader at UCLA. And I don't think Matt Ryan is bad I think that's Rosen ceiling. 

Most if not all of this quarterback draft class will need some developing.  Does anybody on this board feel that there is a member of the Bills coaching staff is good at developing a raw qb?  This has me more concerned than who we draft. To me, Daboll is unproven in this area.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
Typo