Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

27 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The football program at Alabama is adding money to the general fund and is helping the university attract elite students from all over the country. The majority of students are from out of state.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

About 84% of the football players at Alabama graduate with their degrees.

"Alabama is one of seven programs that recorded a 100-percent graduation rate for members of its 2010 freshman football class. Joining the Tide this year are Cincinnati, Middle Tennessee, Northwestern, Utah, Utah State and Virginia."

http://www.rolltide.com/news/2017/12/6/alabama-football-shares-2017-afca-academic-achievement-award.aspx

Great football and great academics.

The Quiter makes 11.1M a years

Now what do the players make?

Have you watched "Schooled" yet?

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen said that it’s too hard to play football and do academics, so it must not be true. We all know that Rosen is god-like with his superior intelligence and intellect.

I think you have mixed up Josh Rosen with Jay Rosen.

The revenue generated by the football program supports other sports programs and the rest goes into the general budget.

The success of the football program has also provided national exposure and has helped recruiting.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

The revenue generated by the football program supports other sports programs and the rest goes into the general budget.

The success of the football program has also provided national exposure and has helped recruiting.

This is true of all revenue generating Football programs 

Why Alabama's Nick Saban Is One of the World's Greatest Leaders

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/03/24/university-alabama-football-nick-saban-great-leaders

According to Fortune Magazine.

This never gets tiring.

“Alabama coach Nick Saban and his wife Terry continue to make a difference in the Tuscaloosa community with their Nick’s Kids Foundation.

The foundation donated a record $500,000 to 150 charities on Wednesday during its annual luncheon, pushing its total to $7 million during their time in Tuscaloosa.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-football-nick-saban-donation/amp

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

SO pennies got it,

Now back on your knees for the quitter

$160K in scholarship money is “pennies” to you, lol?

Nick Saban: Former players pay tribute to 10 years of his impact

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/alabama/nick-saban-10-years-anniversary-alabama-football-players-tribute-crimson-tide/amp

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen said that it’s too hard to play football and do academics, so it must not be true. We all know that Rosen is god-like with his superior intelligence and intellect.

Please give it a rest.  That is not what Rosen said.  Rosen said that playing major-program college football and attending college are both full time jobs:

"Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements," Rosen said. "OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.  Rosen also said that "human beings don't belong in school with our schedules."

"No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school," Rosen adds."It's not that some players shouldn't be in school; it's just that universities should help them more—instead of just finding ways to keep them eligible."

Most sane people who know something about football scholarships also acknowledge that yes, there are football players who don't belong in college and are there because it's their only path to the pros.

Most sane people who know something about major football program expectations (heck, college sports in general) acknowledge that it's true.   That doesn't mean people can't and don't succeed at both, it means the odds are against it because it's very tough, especially when some of the players aren't fully competitive academically. 

The only reason your ox is gored is because Rosen threw shade at the SAT scores of 'bama football players - not 'bama in general, 'bama football players - and you don't think you can get over it.  If he left 'bama out of it, I doubt it would have flickered your meter.

But you can get over it.  I believe in you.  You can do it.  Move on.

9 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

$160K in scholarship money is “pennies” to you, lol?

Given what you said about Alabama's football program bringing in $107M in revenue, $160k in scholarships is pennies to everyone. 

$0.15 on the dollar, to be exact.

Please give it up.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, MAJBobby said:

QUITTER. 

He is Doug Marrone

couldnt hack it in the big leagues so went back to Minors. At least Doug stayed in the Big Leagues. 

Quitter 

now i notice you didnt answer why bring up an August 2017 Article again?

Don't worry, in a decade or so your inferior team just might come within 30 points of the National Champion University of Alabama Crimson Tide. Try not to let the jealousy and hate build until then; it's like poison, ya know?

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

He is....

Saban is and it isn't close.

I do the same thing to my nephew who is a huge GS Warrior fan.  

Ill tell him him something negative about GS, just to mess with him and he gets upset then starts looking up facts on his phone.  Then starts rattling off facts to prove me wrong.

Hes 10 years old.  

Replace GS with Alabama and it’s the same type of conversation I have with a 10 year old.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

No one cares about Saban, or Alabama on this board.

Really? Have you counted your own posts in this thread ODB? :D

The despair, hatred and jealousy are oozing out of dozens of posts, no? Yeah, I would say there is some interest in greatness.

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ill tell him him something negative about GS, just to mess with him and he gets upset then starts looking up facts on his phone.  Then starts rattling off facts to prove me wrong.

Hes 10 years old.  

Replace GS with Alabama and it’s the same type of conversation I have with a 10 year old.

And your point is? Are people who disagree with you automatically wrong?

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s also a really big fan of community service. Admirable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/87058902

He was also sprawled out on the floor trying to cry after a loss. Oh wait.....that was a different coach!

Edited by Bill from NYC

35 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Really? Have you counted your own posts in this thread ODB? :D

The despair, hatred and jealousy are oozing out of dozens of posts, no? Yeah, I would say there is some interest in greatness.

And your point is? Are people who disagree with you automatically wrong?

He was also sprawled out on the floor trying to cry after a loss. Oh wait.....that was a different coach!

Where in my comparison did I specifically state he’s wrong about something?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hes 10 years old.  

So you troll 10 year olds? Impressive.

You are allegedly an engineer with a degree from an Ivy League school and you rely on emotion rather than facts and data? Interesting.

10 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

So you troll 10 year olds? Impressive.

You are allegedly an engineer with a degree from an Ivy League school and you rely on emotion rather than facts and data? Interesting.

I guess I'm the first Uncle to tease his nephew.   It has never, ever happened before in the entire human existence.  Family members never tease....

I have no idea what your second sentence means at all.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please give it a rest.  That is not what Rosen said.  Rosen said that playing major-program college football and attending college are both full time jobs:

"Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements," Rosen said. "OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.  Rosen also said that "human beings don't belong in school with our schedules."

"No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school," Rosen adds."It's not that some players shouldn't be in school; it's just that universities should help them more—instead of just finding ways to keep them eligible."

Most sane people who know something about football scholarships also acknowledge that yes, there are football players who don't belong in college and are there because it's their only path to the pros.

Most sane people who know something about major football program expectations (heck, college sports in general) acknowledge that it's true.   That doesn't mean people can't and don't succeed at both, it means the odds are against it because it's very tough, especially when some of the players aren't fully competitive academically. 

The only reason your ox is gored is because Rosen threw shade at the SAT scores of 'bama football players - not 'bama in general, 'bama football players - and you don't think you can get over it.  If he left 'bama out of it, I doubt it would have flickered your meter.

But you can get over it.  I believe in you.  You can do it.  Move on.

Given what you said about Alabama's football program bringing in $107M in revenue, $160k in scholarships is pennies to everyone. 

$0.15 on the dollar, to be exact.

Please give it up.

Given the cost of tuition and room/board, scholarship players are getting $160,000 over 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I guess I'm the first Uncle to tease his nephew.   It has never, ever happened before in the entire human existence.  Family members never tease....

I have no idea what your second sentence means at all.

Are you agreeing with Rosen because his comments are based on facts and data, or are your reacting with emotion based on your gut feeling.

As an engineer, I would expect that you analyze arguments based on facts and data.

I guess you just take Rosen's bold assertions regarding sports and academics at face value because he's good at tossing a football.

Everything Rosen says is true. My brother tried to play D1 and get a real degree. The coach said school was taking up too much of his time and he would have to change his major to something easy like what the other athletes took or he would lose his scholarship. Imagine that, a coach at a university saying pretty much what Rosen said. You can't play sports and school. My brother picked school and eventually lost his scholarship.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Given the cost of tuition and room/board, scholarship players are getting $160,000 over 4 years.

If all 85 players were fine full rides for 4 years (Which they aren't) that's about 13.6 million over 4 years

Vs $400+ million in gross revenue

They make between $40-65 MILLION PROFIT per year after all is said and done (salaries, field upkeep, marketing, etc)

They make a ton of $$ off these players.

Saban himself makes over $7mil a year.

Stop defending them like they are doing the world a charity service by offering football.

Should be called the "emerald tide" instead with all the $$ ROLLING in.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Are you agreeing with Rosen because his comments are based on facts and data, or are your reacting with emotion based on your gut feeling.

As an engineer, I would expect that you analyze arguments based on facts and data.

I guess you just take Rosen's bold assertions regarding sports and academics at face value because he's good at tossing a football.

I'm agreeing with Rosen because I'm not naive.  To think data can't be manipulated in any major powerhouse athletic school is extremely naive.  It's not just Alabama either which I've said in this thread....it's every major program.  

https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html <------------- this doesn't just happen at UNC.  I've proof read a former Alabama football player and this was about his reading level.

I'm not an engineer, I have no idea where you got that from.  

I agree with Rosen because I've been around college athletes at all levels.  

LOL at you saying I'm the one being emotional.  You're the guy constantly googling anything pro-Alabama to put in this thread because you can't handle when someone isn't putting this school in the elite academic category.  Get real kid.

The only reason you're anti-Rosen is because used Alabama as an example and you're upset.  Grow up kid.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm agreeing with Rosen because I'm not naive.  To think data can't be manipulated in any major powerhouse athletic school is extremely naive.  It's not just Alabama either which I've said in this thread....it's every major program.  

https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html <------------- this doesn't just happen at UNC.  I've proof read a former Alabama football player and this was about his reading level.

LOL at you saying I'm the one being emotional.  You're the guy constantly googling anything pro-Alabama to put in this thread because you can't handle when someone isn't putting this school in the elite academic category.  Get real kid.

The only reason you're anti-Rosen is because used Alabama as an example and you're upset.  Grow up kid.

Check and mate?

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Which per information you provided, is pennies on the dollars of football brings in. 

In fact, divided up over four years, 1/4 of my original calculation - approximately $0.04 on the dollar.

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Everything Rosen says is true. My brother tried to play D1 and get a real degree. The coach said school was taking up too much of his time and he would have to change his major to something easy like what the other athletes took or he would lose his scholarship. Imagine that, a coach at a university saying pretty much what Rosen said. You can't play sports and school. My brother picked school and eventually lost his scholarship.

Yep this.  My friend's daughter was D1 volleyball at Miami of OH.  Came in intending to major in engineering.  Had to get the dean of students and NCAA involved her jr year when the coach scheduled extra weightlifting practice (not team drills, just picking it up and putting it down) off-season that conflicted with a required engineering prerequisite, and wouldn't allow her to make it up at another time.  She won her point and graduated summa cum laude but now turn that to a big revenue-generating sport like football or men's bball.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Fair enough; sorry about that. :)

It's fine.

I'm not anti-Alabama.  I know and have acknowledged that it's a good academic school.  It's obviously an elite athletic school.

IMO, Sky Diver is just going way overboard and very sensitive if UA is not being talked about as super fantastic happy hour.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And the sad thing is....Alabama is a fine school.  Our neighbor's kid is studying math there. 

Academic ability is not Alabama's primary selector for all Crimson Tide football players, who represent <0.25% of the school's total school enrollment.

Both of these things can be true.

• Like (+1) 1

Rosen contends that college football and academics don't mix. Well, ten of thousands of football players before him have played football and earned degrees, many in very demanding majors. Is it easy? Obviously not. Is mixing college football and academics more difficult in the last 3 years since Rosen has been at UCLA? I hardly think so.

Edited by Sky Diver