Lawn Advice

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

If your lawn is just now beginning to thaw, your lawn may not be your biggest problem.   :huh:

Story of my life, brother....

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I do everything outside the fert schedule... Just hire a lawn service, they will keep it on schedule.  Not too big here, maybe 1/4 acre... Only 30 bucks per application 4 times a year.  No weeds, bugs, etc... Looks green.

?  Although I used to work for a landscaper and had to cut lawns occasionally, and the ones I hated to cut the most were those Chem-lawn lawns.  The grass was almost too thick, and it was really hard to make it look nice for some reason.  Also, it seemed to be high maintainance in that it needed to be watered a ton.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

?  Although I used to work for a landscaper and had to cut lawns occasionally, and the ones I hated to cut the most were those Chem-lawn lawns.  The grass was almost too thick, and it was really hard to make it look nice for some reason.  Also, it seemed to be high maintainance in that it needed to be watered a ton.

Well, then don't fert it... And leave it long.

Something gotta give.  Can't have cake and eat it too.

I don't go ChemLawn... All they do is dry fert.  Like putting down 4-step.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

36 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Well, then don't fert it... And leave it long.

Something gotta give.  Can't have cake and eat it too.

I don't go ChemLawn... All they do is dry fert.  Like putting down 4-step.

Don’t come into my thread and push me around, pal.  If I have cake I better damned we’ll be eating it too.  What?  Would someone come and take my cake away?  I’d like to see them try.  Well, I’d like to see them try unless they were really strong and tough.  Then I’d just let them take my cake. Why the hell do people say that?  

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t come into my thread and push me around, pal.  If I have cake I better damned we’ll be eating it too.  What?  Would someone come and take my cake away?  I’d like to see them try.  Well, I’d like to see them try unless they were really strong and tough.  Then I’d just let them take my cake. Why the hell do people say that?  

Okay.  Want advice?  Don't do anything and just mow your lawn once a month.  It will look great for a week after you mow.

Mow it high, 3".  You will be fine. You live in not so arid Vermont.

I'd still have a guy come and throw a little weed and feed a few times a year for under a C-note.

:P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

10 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

you're over doing it and wasting a lot of money.

Truth be told I never water my lawn just the flower gardens.   

One of my neighbors waters once a week. He's got a smaller back yard and more shade so his grass stays greener in the late summer, plus he's always planting new grass because his two dogs tear his yard up.  

You have to start early on the crab grass and keep on top of it.   

I Weed and Feed every spring and weed spray once a month and I also do it the old fashion way.  I use my hands and a dandelion fork to pick out small clumps.   My lawn is usually good from April to late July.   One problem is the neighbors don't weed like I do and I get the weed "runoff" from them.   

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

If any of you looking for help live in the rochester area, I work at a lawn care company and can help you guys out if you like. 

As stated by others, mow tall (3-5 inches) all year long and be sure to water regularly when the soil is dry. 

If you live in a HoA 5 inches is too tall.  

15 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I will be curious what people say. I need some help. My lawn is a total disaster.

we built our home and the builder basically dumped crap and rocks all under the ground and put virtually no top soil on top. So our grass quality has always been garbage.  I am almost at the point of just re-doing the entire thing and hauling in a ton of soil. 

Aerate, seed, feed.

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I gave up seeding cuz every practically every time I do I get a heavy rain and it washes the seed away.   In the spring, I let the grass get tall enough to seed then I mow.  

I find the birds to be a bigger problem than rain. But if you do it enough years in a row, it makes a difference.

You must carefully mark off your lawn so that you can urinate on every square inch of it.  This will serve to provide natural fertilizer to your grass.  You may wish to heavily consume alcohol during this time in order to speed the process along.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

As I stated before, I work for a lawn care company. We had a ton of rain in Rochester last spring/summer. The landscapers hated us. I got chewed out a few times by different landscapers because our lawns were so thick from the fertilizer and rain. 

However, this is ideal for a homeowner as it keeps the lawn nice and green and keeps out alot of weeds. 

The Ag coop extension for someone who has never taken care of a lawn and/or garden is excellent advice.

For our lawn, I rake it now (usually for snow mold but we didn't have any this year), to get all the garbage an accumulation off of it. As soon as I can walk on it, that will happen (rained a lot the last few weeks - better than snow though).

Hubby weeds and feeds. We have tried nearly every local spray company, and none seemed to do the job (it is CLOVER for $#*& sake - easiest stuff to kill). He decided to try the Scotts brand two years ago, killed that darned clover that had been hanging around for years, and our lawn looks wonderful.

After that, we turn it over to the lawn-guys.  I swear no one on our street owns a lawnmower. This year it is time to aerate the lawn again.  We do have a sprinkler system that runs three times per week. 

Good luck!

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

21 hours ago, T&C said:

This is the way to go, you will know within 48 hours where you missed with the broadcaster: 

https://www.milorganite.com/using-milorganite/what-is-milorganite

That's a country secret for those who own horses...I only use that every other year...a awesome looking green,thick grass is a result..but If you hit a rain filled period...you'll be mowing two times a week..

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have a riding lawn mower and my neighbor a tow along aerater.     I'm good 

then I can tell the kids if they come in my yard to look out for the dog poop  

I'm hitting the market for new rider right now..

• Like (+1) 1

To each his own.

My first year in my house, I tried to fight the fight.  Spent hours and hours applying products and pulling weeds, and was still losing the fight.  I turned it over to a lawn care company.  

I do have a somewhat large lot and share a border with wetlands though

11 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Aerate, seed, feed.

Aerate.  Have heavy clay here.

I have never plugged my lawn, but probably needs it... Yet:

You can throw some ag gypsum down to soften the hard clay/soil.  Keep some on hand for planting too... Throw some of the gypsum into the hole, water before planting.