Is there even consensus on the rookie QB rankings? Trade Up Strategy

We are all salivating over a trade-up to get our franchise QB. The question is do we trade up to, say, 2 or 4/5?

It all depends on how strongly we want one QB over the others. 

I have read reams of stuff on each QB, watched NFL Network's Mariucci analysis. watched highlights and a few complete games of 7 QBs - Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph & Tanner Lee. Bottomline - there appears to be consensus on the top 4. And among them, Darnold appears to be the front-runner (notwithstanding a few rumblings regarding Allen). Behind him, the next three, however appear wide open.

I dont know how much conviction the Bills brass have in one of these three. A cursory reading of McD's breakfast comments appear to indicate (unless it is a smokescreen) that the Bills will probably go for Rosen, who is the most polished drop-back passer. But how strong is their conviction it is one over the other 2. If you are not convinced about the relative superiority of one over the others - why give up a bunch of assets and trade up to 2? Why not do a more modest trade and choose 4th? 

In summary, if the OBD brass feels there are two or three thoroughbreds, trade with the   Giants. If you think there are 4, trade with the Browns / Broncos. I canot imagine they will take Lamar Jackson - not after trading Tyrod. So if they think Rudolph belongs in the group with Rosen etc., wait till draft day and trade up to 6 or after depending upon how the draft plays out.

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

Nobody ever talks about trading for the #1 pick from the Browns. 

Because it isn't happening.  Cleveland HAS to get the QB position right. No better way to do that than taking the best QB in the draft at 1. Trade down at 4 for the right offer. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think Darnold and Rosen are the consensus top two. Then there is a gap to Mayfield who is a very good QB prospect. Then there is another gap to a big cluster of QBs. Those guys are more of a pick your flavour type situation. That cluster would be Rudolph, Jackson, Allen, and White. Some may throw Falk and Lauletta in that category as well. This is a very deep QB class. There will be a starter from the later guys for sure.

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

Because it isn't happening.  Cleveland HAS to get the QB position right. No better way to do that than taking the best QB in the draft at 1. Trade down at 4 for the right offer. 

Well there are plenty of reports out there saying they are willing to move that pick.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW:

I have just been working on my mock v2.0..... I think there is a real chance Baker Mayfield is still there at 12.  I think you might want to jump up a few spots though because Miami are allegedly very sweet on him if he drops to them.  Trade with the 49ers at #9, give them the pick we got for Tyrod and take Baker Mayfield?  I'd love that.  

I still doubt the Bills are high on Mayfield though. Hope I am wrong.  

46 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Well there are plenty of reports out there saying they are willing to move that pick.

There are quotes from Dorsey who has said they are willing to listen.  It's his job to at least listen, but he can't pass on another franchise QB. If he trades out of 1 and ends up with the 4th QB, people will be calling for his job that day. 

Cleveland has been looking for the franchise guy since Kosar. They have the chance to get him this year.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW:

The problem I have with this is, do the Bills want this out there? They have been ridiculously tight lipped and then someone here's its Allen they covet, now its Mayfield according to Jeremys Sabres guy. Just seems too much like purposely planting it.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have just been working on my mock v2.0..... I think there is a real chance Baker Mayfield is still there at 12.  I think you might want to jump up a few spots though because Miami are allegedly very sweet on him if he drops to them.  Trade with the 49ers at #9, give them the pick we got for Tyrod and take Baker Mayfield?  I'd love that.  

I still doubt the Bills are high on Mayfield though. Hope I am wrong.  

I don’t think that there is any chance he makes it to 12 for the reason that you mention. If he makes it by 5 you will start seeing the Bills trying to jump in (if he is their guy). They will start at 6, then 7, then 8, until they have a deal. The absolute best case scenario would be Baker without all of the draft capital. I love the idea of Baker in a Bills uniform.

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW:

If the Bills truly covet Mayfield, and the Jets don't select him at 3 then the Bills have to try to trade to #4.  You can't take that risk that Denver gets him at 5.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

The problem I have with this is, do the Bills want this out there? They have been ridiculously tight lipped and then someone here's its Allen they covet, now its Mayfield according to Jeremys Sabres guy. Just seems too much like purposely planting it.

Browns have 1 and 4 and have a need for a Franchise QB and at the same time pick a once-in-a-generation RB...So it would be stupid of them to not pick one

Giants are in an unusual spot of holding #2 pick in  a year of QB Bounty in the draft. It would be stupid of them to not pick one

Jets have a need for a franchise QB ever since they traded for Sanchez. AT #3 it would be stupid of them to not pick one.

Denver have heavily invested in the QB carousel for the past five years and have no answers.  At #5 they would be stupid not to pick one.

That is four teams that will be desperate to pick QBs in the top 5 because they have a need and there are NFL ready QBs available in this years draft.   Our luck continues to hit us bad and we just don't seem to catch a break.  But the Bills have the capital to move....But will any of these four teams be willing to be a trade partner...Considering what they need is the same as us, they are unlikely to miss out on the next Carson Wentz!

3 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of them “wanting” it out there. The smokescreen stuff is all BS IMO. Everyone knows that the Bills want a QB and everyone will speculate on which guy. I’ve seen reports that the Bills love any of the top 5.

There is so much out there that it’s just a matter of digging through to find out who is credible. This guy would seem credible as he has provided a bunch of other info that they don’t want out there that came true. It may not happen but it certainly makes sense.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

If the Bills truly covet Mayfield, and the Jets don't select him at 3 then the Bills have to try to trade to #4.  You can't take that risk that Denver gets him at 5.

Agreed

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of them “wanting” it out there. The smokescreen stuff is all BS IMO. Everyone knows that the Bills want a QB and everyone will speculate on which guy. I’ve seen reports that the Bills love any of the top 5.

I'm not really saying the Bills wanting a QB is a smokescreen, it's more or less who they want. They have now been linked to all 5 top QBs, so all of this "coveting" of QB X is, for lack of a better word, a smokescreen.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I'm not really saying the Bills wanting a QB is a smokescreen, it's more or less who they want. They have now been linked to all 5 top QBs, so all of this "coveting" of QB X is, for lack of a better word, a smokescreen.

That’s why the source is important. If this guy has given information before that has proven accurate his is to be taken more seriously IMO. He may very well be connected to someone in that building.