GMFB Debate: What Should the Bills Do in the NFL Draft?

21 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Hey everyone!  Stop talking about QBs.  4merper4mer has spoken!  No fun or conversation allowed on the message board.

:rolleyes:

How about we meet in the middle and just stop posting things that someone with an IQ of a geranium could figure out make no sense?

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'm still pretty certain they're going to move up so they can take one of their top 3 -- I'm just not sure how they have them ranked.  After reading @thebandit27 's QB review I'm much more bullish on Allen than I was previously, although I still think he ranks 3rd behind Darnold and Rosen.

It would shock me for them to stand pat at #12.  I believe they'll trade #12, next year's 1st, and a slew of other picks but keep #22.

If you add Mayfield to your list then it is likely that the Bills don't have to go all the way up to two to get one of the top prospects. There are a variety of fallback positions that although don't include the top four qbs might in the end be the best approach to adding more talent to the roster. One of them is to stay at your position and draft Jackson or even Rudloph and then use your picks to address a number of positions. 

I don't see the Bills making a deal until the day of the draft. If teams that are considered to have qb needs such as the Giants, Denver and even Miami go for players that offer immediate help then the Bills are in a good position to select a high-end qb prospect and still be able to use their picks. 

If you look at the teams that are drafting from the 5th to the 10th range there is a good chance that the Bills can make a reasonable deal with one of them to get one of our targeted qbs. The advantage of this draft is that there is a group of good qbs. It would be a mistake to get fixated on one of them at the price of emptying the cupboard. 

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you add Mayfield to your list then it is likely that the Bills don't have to go all the way up to two to get one of the top prospects. There are a variety of fallback positions that although don't include the top four qbs might in the end be the best approach to adding more talent to the roster. One of them is to stay at your position and draft Jackson or even Rudloph and then use your picks to address a number of positions. 

I don't see the Bills making a deal until the day of the draft. If teams that are considered to have qb needs such as the Giants, Denver and even Miami go for players that offer immediate help then the Bills are in a good position to select a high-end qb prospect and still be able to use their picks. 

If you look at the teams that are drafting from the 5th to the 10th range there is a good chance that the Bills can make a reasonable deal with one of them to get one of our targeted qbs. The advantage of this draft is that there is a group of good qbs. It would be a mistake to get fixated on one of them at the price of emptying the cupboard. 

I generally agree....unless your evaluations lead you to the conclusion that one is the perfect fit.

15 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I have a hard time taking seriously the opinions of so-called experts that constantly talk about the decision as if it will be made by the head coach. McDermott may cook the meal, but make no mistake, Beane is shopping for the ingredients.

You pose an interesting question as to who has the final say on personnel matters. Beane is the GM that McDermott most likely selected. The HC certainly doesn't have the time and resources that the GM and his scouting staff have when evaluating players. And no doubt there is a lot of communication and collaboration going on between the GM and HC. However, it's my opinion that McDermott has the final say when it comes to selecting players in the draft and pro ranks. 

Just now, JohnC said:

You pose an interesting question as to who has the final say on personnel matters. Beane is the GM that McDermott most likely selected. The HC certainly doesn't have the time and resources that the GM and his scouting staff have when evaluating players. And no doubt there is a lot of communication and collaboration going on between the GM and HC. However, it's my opinion that McDermott has the final say when it comes to selecting players in the draft and pro ranks. 

Beane has said unequivocally that he has the final say with regard to personnel acquisition. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane has said unequivocally that he has the final say with regard to personnel acquisition. 

Do you think that if he didn't have the final authority he would publicly say so? My sense is that McDermott has more influence in personnel matters than most HCs in this league. Andy Reid is not the GM in KC but most people would acknowledge that he has more say than most HCs in personnel matters. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you think that if he didn't have the final authority he would publicly say so? My sense is that McDermott has more influence in personnel matters than most HCs in this league. Andy Reid is not the GM in KC but most people would acknowledge that he has more say than most HCs in personnel matters. 

It's known that Reid is the guy in KC as it has been for many years.  Beane has said the he and McDermott are joined at the hip and are like-minded, but when there are disagreements he has the final say.  That's something that would not be uttered in KC.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That ^   It's called Teamwork.   

If the HC doesn't work with the GM to get people to fit what your goal is you will never succeed.

Rex and the GM 

Doug and the GM 

Gregg and the GM 

Mike  and the GM 

see the pattern? 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's known that Reid is the guy in KC as it has been for many years.  Beane has said the he and McDermott are joined at the hip and are like-minded, but when there are disagreements he has the final say.  That's something that would not be uttered in KC.

I doubt that if Beane suggested a free agent player was available and McDermott didn't want the player for whatever reason that the player would be signed. Without question this tandem collaborates more than how most organizations run their operations. However, especially in the pro ranks I doubt that if McDermott didn't want a particular player that Beane wouldn't accede to the HC's wishes. On the other hand when it comes to college prospects Beane has more knowledge in that area than the HC does so he would certainly have more sway in that area.