Contrary to Popular Belief of the "Experts"

T master

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

EXACTLY.

8-8, 7-9, 9-7 is the WORST position to be in. I'd literally rather be 0-16 than 8-8 or 7-9.

17 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

You have no shot at blue chip talent and trying to be in a position to get a shot at the top QBs is really a pipe dream. Biggest problem over the last 20 years was not bottoming out...

This is exactly what Whales was referring to when he said the Bills have been in QB purgatory. Never bad enough to get the good ones, never good enough to not need one.

If they moved up to draft a freaking LBer get ready for the next playoff drought to start. 

Everything McD and Beane have done to this point starting last draft is to Position themsleves to FINALLY Fix the QB position. 

Now just dont over think it make you move get to 2 and take that QB 

Edited by MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If they moved up to draft a freaking LBer get ready for the next playoff drought to start. 

Everything McD and Beane have done to this point starting last draft is to Position themsleves to FINALLY Fix the QB position. 

I really hope the Bills can get to 2 as well, but if the Giants want a QB, there will be nothing the Bills can do to get there.

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So its move to 2 or the playoff drought begins again?

Come on

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I really hope the Bills can get to 2 as well, but if the Giants want a QB, there will be nothing the Bills can do to get there.

I get that it takes two to tango, but if we dont get 1 of the big 3 then it was a failure. Especially since the Jets, a division rival, were able to move into the Top 3 and land one. If we're finally getting past the Brady era, only to begin the Rosen era and getting dominated by the Jets for the next 10 years, I wont be able to stomach it.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Come on

It sounds extreme, but it's where we are at. With no franchise QB, it's back to the same ol wheel spinning of the 2000s.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I get that it takes two to tango, but if we dont get 1 of the big 3 then it was a failure. Especially since the Jets, a division rival, were able to move into the Top 3 and land one. If we're finally getting past the Brady era, only to begin the Rosen era and getting dominated by the Jets for the next 10 years, I wont be able to stomach it.

It sounds extreme, but it's where we are at. With no franchise QB, it's back to the same ol wheel spinning of the 2000s.

That reasoning is all fine....but how do we know that the qb at 2 will be a franchise QB?

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Come on

It is move up to take a LB and yep the FO still doesnt get it. 

And is nothing they havent done already in the past 18 years 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh I 100 percent agree with you. It would suck so bad. But unfortunately I do think there is a very realistic opportunity the Giants take a QB at 2. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

They could take a qb at 12

That isnt what the post is about is it?

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That reasoning is all fine....but how do we know that the qb at 2 will be a franchise QB?

Because statistics show you have a better chance over 50% at landing a NFL QB in the top 5. 

Compared to anywhere else in the draft which is well below 50%

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

your right

And at the end of the day Bean might decide he can still get a high upside QB pick without trading up to 2

And he would not necessarily be wrong in doing that

If Beane thinks we can get one at #12, and takes one at #12, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays out for a couple years before criticizing.

However, the point of this thread was to say they shouldn't take a QB, and instead should take a LB. That, I cannot agree with.

32 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly what Whales was referring to when he said the Bills have been in QB purgatory. Never bad enough to get the good ones, never good enough to not need one.

Yup. Especially this year with a lot of QB prospects- last season was the season to have a bad year.

JMO, but the biggest issue was holding on the a FO that you knew you were going to dump through the end of the draft. That neutered any long-term planning the team should have had, which then led the overall organization down the path of our HC, which is very focused on the short-term (kick the QB can to this year, and delay dumping players & overall salary cap management). It basically set us back one year as far as the long-term goes since last year for all intents and purposes was a wash, especially at the most important position on the field! The most damning of it is that next year's crop looks to suck and if we actually keep these picks and do somewhat well with them, we will be picking in the mid 20s again, with no extra 1, 2 or 3 to use as ammo to trade up for a prospect. Then we are looking at what 2020 and still no QB? Honestly, if they fail to move in position to grab a top QB prospect this year, the clock is ticking on this regime; unless they get lucky with a not top prospect gem (extremely unlikely and not what your plan should be). 

Now, unfortunately, we will have to be off to the Land of Booger Trees and start all over again...not good at all...

13 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Take Smith at 12 and them move up a few slots and take Jackson if need be.  Problem solved.

Does anyone actually think there's a huge difference between the top 6 Qbs in this draft?  are any of these guys a can't miss, Andrew Luck type?  No.

While I highly doubt Roquan Smith will be there at the 12 spot what most fans forget while thinking about one of those top QBs and trading the farm for one. The BIlls could very well move up to the #7 spot after all the top four QB's are gone and select Smith there.

Kinda like Doug Whaley should have done when thinking about Sammy Watkins and instead should have taken Mike Evans or Khalil Mack. The Bills should still have enough ammo in picks to trade up again should they want a QB or WR as the Steelers have been sniffing around Mason Rudolph and I don't think they will wait until the 28th pick to grab him.

I honestly don't care who this regime drafts as long as they become quality starters for a few years. Must be bad karma or something to finally make the playoffs and yet want to select one of the top QB's in a draft they should see as many as six QBs be drafted in the first round. Yet they might not be able to get one of the top four.

What I see is that the Bills made some trades to dump high salary, fair-to-good quality veteran players.  These were guys who had high cap numbers, quite a bit of trade value and were players would be on the downside of their careers and expensive at the time in the future when the Bills rebuilding was coming to completion.   Sell high /  buy low.   Somehow many of our posters just KNOW that the Bills were doing all this, only for the purpose of trading up for a QB.    Okay, how do they know this?  I didn't get that memo.   I haven't seen any quotes from the Bills management saying that.  Not to get into politics, but the mainstream press has been screaming that Trump used the Russians to steal the election-  and over a year later there is nothing but the press repeating themselves and reporting on their old reports as proof.  Likewise, the trade-up QB crowd are all talking within their own bubble and have made themselves foreign to other viewpoints.

I think the Bills were dumping salary and trading off aging players while they still had trade value.  They can be and are being replaced by (mostly) cheap free agents and the draft is being used to upgrade the overall team.  Those trades generated 3 extra picks in the top three rounds- that is enough reason.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

To the OP:

You are far from the first person to suggest we are not targeting a QB and that we may try to get elite LB talent in the draft with the move up the draft board.

I think that view is wrong.   I think AJ was selected as a stop gap measure in case the plan doesn't play out, or in case the guy we end up drafting isn't ready or is injured.  I.E., AJ is a backup/support type signing.