Browns Sign QB Drew Stanton to a 2-Year Deal

10 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'll take the bet.

Happy to take the action.

• By far, the best QB in this class and it isn't close
  • Joining a team that will be implementing a system perfect for him
  • will be replacing his physical mirror
  • matches team/state demeanor. If you've never lived in places like Ohio, Texas or Oklahoma, you have no real appreciation for the importance of football awards I think.

as to point #1, the quality and quantity of statistics indicate that there are few QBs that have ever played college ball as well as he has. Drafting him will be a master stroke that will not be clear for several years, but suffice to say that it will create a value on the second pick which will make it impossible for the Giants to retain that pick ... thus, effectively, forcing Saquon Barkley all the way to four. 

But at the end of the day, the combination of leadership skills and NFL talent that he has displayed (not to mention, the aversion to both injuries and turnovers) makes him not only the natural but only choice. 

#1. Overall. And as usual the rest of the judges and prognosticators have it as wrong as possible.

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Jeesh!... Browns sure can be a wacky team...:lol:

They're stockpiling QBs. They'll keep the best one and trade the 2nd best for a bunch of picks.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This means nothing.  Tyrod is on a 1 year deal.  Any QB they take at 1 is sitting the first 10 games at least.  Stanton will be Tyrod's backup this year and Darnold's backup next year.  

Why not wait until next year to sign a new backup then as all you're doing is wasting money on a 3rd string QB? 

Is it possible the Browns don't like any of the top QB's and prefer a developmental QB like Lamar Jackson?   I doubt it, but I find this as a very odd move.

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Why not wait until next year to sign a new backup then as all you're doing is wasting money on a 3rd string QB? 

Is it possible the Browns don't like any of the top QB's and prefer a developmental QB like Lamar Jackson?   I doubt it, but I find this as a very odd move.

I can guess that maybe having Stanton being there from the beginning will help with mentoring the rookie. Also as others stated Stanton can be Tyrods backup for the first year. Browns really want and need to approach this year like it is time to win. They have the talent and will be adding a ton more with this draft. 

7 hours ago, Lfod said:

No one will ever foret the day the Bills traded for the #1 pick. I'll just keep stacking the bread crumbs.

I really hate foreting things.  Especially "g"s :P

But seriously, if you're correct and Beane  shoots his wad for   ????  QB this year, then I really hope like hell that our current scouting/talent evaluation staff is much better than anything we've had for the last 30-odd years. 'Cause the regimes since then have really sucked at it.  (Both ways: missing out on solid talent and jumping on duds.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

I really hate foreting things.  Especially "g"s :P

But seriously, if you're correct and Beane  shoots his wad for   ????  QB this year, then I really hope like hell that our current scouting/talent evaluation staff is much better than anything we've had for the last 30-odd years. 'Cause the regimes since then have really sucked at it.  (Both ways: missing out on solid talent and jumping on duds.)

Well I just have this feeling based on a few situations going on. 

I think Beane is to smart of a GM to have the fans sit through a season of AJ at QB in a new offensive system under a new OC without something else brewing behind the scenes. If Tyrod makes Cleveland look better and AJ makes the Bills look worse...

I can only assume Beane understands that is a possibility because AJ hasn't been a starter for more then a hanful of games. I can only assume that he skipped over free agency because he has plans in the draft. 

So what does that have to do with the #1 pick you ask. Browns traded a 3rd for Tyrod. We as Bills fans think we can't get any better with Tyrod but the Brown giving a 3rd for him leads me to believe they think they can get better with Tyrod. The organization is nicknamed the factory of sadness for a reason. The winless season was a testament to that fact. The Browns suck. I bet they think Tyrod for a 3rd was a freaking steal. 

So the Browns have a history of hedging thier bets. They have traded down in the past. The GM has also openly stated that he is open to listen to offers for #1. Not #4 but specifically #1. I don't know why he would mention it if he didn't wanna at least listen to  offers. The Browns might not have the Bills fan mentality of just draft a QB. They could potentially secure a lot more capital and still be at #4 to pick a QB in what I hear is a pretty QB heavy draft. 

Now add in the fact that we already done business with them for Tyrod the lines of communication we're open at one point. We passed on pick #3 to a division rival. If the Brown don't trade #1 to us I still think they trade it out if the price is right. Then they can grab a rookie QB at #4 and own the draft to build a team and maybe win a game with Tyrod. A rookie QB isn't making Tyrod play better next season that's for sure. 

Any QB they pick at #1 or #4 is going to bust because the Browns suck. The new Brownies GM understands this isn't a winning organization. I'm sure of that unless he's blind. His best shot is to build up around the present. I think he's firing off them picks but why not start at #4 with more ammo now and the future. If I was a Browns fan it's what I would want. I wouldn't want another losing season. They don't have time for a QB of the future. They got to make the QB of today look good. That's Tyrod. In my honest opinion. Tyrod the safe QB that brought his last team to the playoffs with a joke of an offence at times. The guy who doesn't make mistakes.

I'll end by saying this. I don't say what I want to happen. I'm just saying what I think will happen. If we don't trade up I won't be upset. I think we have an awesome GM and HC and that to me is more important right now then blasting off all our ammo in a bet. 

I really don't want the Bills to pick at #1. I am scared they can't develop a QB. I seen no real progression in Tyrod. It seemed he actually got worse as time went on. It would be betting on landing an elite talent that doesn't need much development or it isn't worth the trade. 

Edited by Lfod

Cleveland's backups are currently Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan. Now it is Drew Stanton. Depth chart of Taylor, Stanton, Darnold ensures Darnold gets some time to develop. Darnold is better than Kessler and Hogan right now, and probably Stanton too, but this gives the option of not rushing him, plus gives a backup QB next year if Taylor is gone. 

11 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Cleveland's backups are currently Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan. Now it is Drew Stanton. Depth chart of Taylor, Stanton, Darnold ensures Darnold gets some time to develop. Darnold is better than Kessler and Hogan right now, and probably Stanton too, but this gives the option of not rushing him, plus gives a backup QB next year if Taylor is gone. 

Obviously this. Jackson was harshly criticized for playing Kizer before the rookie was ready, and it looks like HJ believes the criticism was warranted. That would explain how emphatic he's been the incoming rookie will sit. Plus, as noted above, Stanton is a solid backup if Darnold is ready in '19, and Taylor moves on. Also, Stanton may have sold himself as a mentor to Darnold behind the scenes.