Buffalo is 1 of only 3 teams to NEVER select a QB in the top 10 of the Draft

We have been just good enough most years to miss out on being in the top 10 of the draft, yet not good enough to make the playoffs. Mediocrity has killed us for a while now. We have way too much ammo to not pull the trigger on a top QB. My buddy called that Russell Wilson was going to be good before the draft and we could of taken him I couldn't believe we didn't.

18 hours ago, Lurker said:

None of whom were considered "blue chip" franchise-type guys.   

Johnson was a 4th round pick (#99) of the Jags who flashed enough in last two games of 1997 to fool the Bills into trading the 9th pick (plus a 4th rd) for him.   I guess that's an investment, but it feels more like a panic move.   Flutie was a fluke that actually worked out.   Bledsoe lost his job to a kid drafted in the 6th round.  Losman was another panic move.   

None had the feel of a well-thought out strategy for addressing the long-term future of the team...

Yep. Bledsoe lost his job to Losman but for all the wrong reasons. Losman never came close to outplaying Bledsoe in camp and in the meeting room. When Donahoe demanded Losman be given the reigns, it caused that locker room to implode. That was the worst thing that could have happened to Losman, too. 

4 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Once again the Eagles and Rams both found a way to get it done with mid round picks. It confounds me that we just say "oh well, guess no one wanted to trade", especially since we lack the details to make that determination.

It only confirms that those teams were willing. Different situation, different draft, GMs , players available etc. You can't just say team x did it so we'll do it too. There's no guarantee you find a team that's willing. Besides, there's still time and teams have nothing to lose by waiting. There are far more deals made during the draft than before it. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It only confirms that those teams were willing. Different situation, different draft, GMs , players available etc. You can't just say team x did it so we'll do it too. There's no guarantee you find a team that's willing. Besides, there's still time and teams have nothing to lose by waiting. There are far more deals made during the draft than before it. 

So if Beane isn't able to get this done then you chalk it up to he was dealt a bad hand? Sorry if so many other GMs can do it, our GM should be able to as well. Especially since the Jets GM got it done with a Colts GM that had no reason to rush the trade like you said.

I agree though it isn't over yet though. We have several more weeks to wait and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Where did I say it’s the only way? I said imo it’s the best course of action for this team, right now. 

If anyone’s painting anything it’s you painting me into a box to fit your narrative. 

That, IMO, is the lazy way to have a discussion. And as far as narrow minded goes nothing is more myopic than making general asinine assumptions about another human based on a cherry picked post on a football message board. 

Your fervor for trading up sure seems like you think its the only option.  And your comment "People would prefer we dabble in mediocrity another 17 years. Or worse yet wait until we actually have a four win season and pick top three where there would be no guarantees there would be a guy worth picking? " sure seems you're painting with a pretty broad brush.

21 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Your fervor for trading up sure seems like you think its the only option.  And your comment "People would prefer we dabble in mediocrity another 17 years. Or worse yet wait until we actually have a four win season and pick top three where there would be no guarantees there would be a guy worth picking? " sure seems you're painting with a pretty broad brush.

You dont have to quote myself for me  I know exactly what I said. Again you’re telling me what I think, focusing on that and using it for the basis for your argument. People use that tactic when theyre grasping at straws. 

I think it’s the best strategy for this team, this year. You see thats how opinions work. You take a look at exactly the way things are and you form an opinion about it. 

Imo, the best course of action for this team are to trade up and take their shot, I feel very strongly given the cirmustances around this situation. You seem to think I believe every team in every situation should do the exact same thing and that’s why you’re 100% wrong. 

Again, keep telling me what I think, it’s working out so well for you. Or you can just admit you were wrong about me and save us both time. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You dont have to quote myself for me  I know exactly what I said. Again you’re telling me what I think, focusing on that and using it for the basis for your argument. People use that tactic when theyre grasping at straws. 

I think it’s the best strategy for this team, this year. You see thats how opinions work. You take a look at exactly the way things are and you form an opinion about it. 

Imo, the best course of action for this team are to trade up and take their shot, I feel very strongly given the cirmustances around this situation. You seem to think I believe every team in every situation should do the exact same thing and that’s why you’re 100% wrong. 

Again, keep telling me what I think, it’s working out so well for you. Or you can just admit you were wrong about me and save us both time. 

Don't waste your keystrokes with that guy, he's...well, I'm not sure entirely how to describe him that won't earn me a warning point.

• Haha (+1) 1

It's an odd statistic to be sure.  But it is also true that you don'tvwantbto pick a QB high in the draft if you do not feel he merits that spot.  Those are the guys that make it around a 50:50 proposition as to team's getting it right.

it's not just picking high, it's picking the right guy.

On 3/25/2018 at 1:31 PM, DC Tom said:

1980s:

Rich Campbell - 7 Games

Art Schlichter - 13 Games

Jim McMahon - Super Bowl, 4 Playoff Appearances

John Elway - Super Bowl (2-3), 9 Playoff Appearances

Todd Blackledge - Playoff Appearance

Jim Everett - 2 Playoff Appearances

Kelly Stouffer - 22 Games

Vinnie Testaverde - 2 Playoff Appearances

Troy Aikman - Super Bowl (3-0), 7 Playoff Appearances

1990s:

Jeff George - 2 Playoff Appearances

Andre Ware - 14 Games

David Klingler - 33 Games

Drew Bledsoe - Super Bowl Appearance, 4 Playoff Appearances

Rick Mirer - 80 Games

Heath Shuler - 29 Games

Trent Dilfer - Super Bowl, 2 Playoff Appearances

Steve McNair - Super Bowl Appearance, 5 Playoff Appearances

Kerry Collins - Super Bowl Appearance, 4 Playoff Appearances

Peyton Manning - Super Bowl (2-2), 15 Playoff Appearances

Ryan Leaf - 25 Games

Tim Couch - 62 Games

Donovan McNabb - Super Bowl Appearance, 7 Playoff Appearances

Akili Smith - 22 Games

2000s:

Michael Vick - 4 Playoff Appearances

David Carr - 94 Games

Joey Harrington - 81 Games

Carson Palmer - 3 Playoff Appearances

Byron Leftwich - Playoff Appearance

Eli Manning - Super Bowl (2-0), 6 Playoff Appearances

Philip Rivers - 5 Playoff Appearances

Alex Smith - 5 Playoff Appearances

Vince Young - Playoff Appearance

Matt Leinart - 33 Games

Jamarcus Russell - 31 Games

Matt Ryan - Super Bowl Appearance, 6 Playoff Appearances

Matthew Stafford - 3 Playoff Appearances

Mark Sanchez - 2 Playoff Appearances

2010s:

Sam Bradford - 80 Games

Cam Newton - Super Bowl Appearance, 4 Playoff Appearances

Jake Locker - 30 Games

Andrew Luck - 3 Playoff Appearances

Robert Griffin III - Playoff Appearance

Ryan Tannehill - 77 Games

Blake Bortles - Playoff Appearance

Jameis Winston - 45 Games

Marcus Mariota - Playoff Appearance

Jared Goff - Playoff Appearance

Carson Wentz - 29 Games

Patrick Mahomes - 1 Game

Just a bit more perspective on moving up. Almost half of the Super Bowls have been played by this list (22 Super Bowls out of 51). 110 Playoff appearances. You can spin it however you want but I'd take my chances in the top 10 at this point. It's the one thing that's never been tried.

• Like (+1) 1