Speculation...Hughes to Giants???

Hebert19

Just now, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

The goal should be to keep as many picks this year to put them all on the same Dynasty timeline if you would....

I would say #12, 53, 65 and 2019 2nd and Hughes....

That leaves Bills with #2, 22, 56 & 96

Pipe dream.

McBeane place a great deal of emphasis on DL... while Hughes didn't light it up with sacks last season, he was fifth overall in the league in QB pressures. Even if he's not getting to the QB every time, he's disrupting the pocket and forcing the QB to adjust/move/scramble/panic, etc. It's not always about the numbers. Stats are easy to look at and use as a reference point for why this guy is or isn't good but you gotta look beyond the stats and account for things that don't always get noticed right away.

When they signed Murphy, Vic Carucci reported that the signing had no impact on Hughes and Lawson, those guys are firmly in their plans for this coming season. They want the DL to be one of the strongest units on the team. While I understand the cap/money ramifications, trading away one of the best players on the DL (and the team) doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Or he didn't fit, they thought he was a bust and they traded him.

He only started 1 game under Pettine and was used as an edge rusher.  I don't know that anyone uses a true and strictly 3-4 system anymore and not all 3-4s are like Rex overly exotic concoction.

10 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

McBeane place a great deal of emphasis on DL... while Hughes didn't light it up with sacks last season, he was fifth overall in the league in QB pressures. Even if he's not getting to the QB every time, he's disrupting the pocket and forcing the QB to adjust/move/scramble/panic, etc. It's not always about the numbers. Stats are easy to look at and use as a reference point for why this guy is or isn't good but you gotta look beyond the stats and account for things that don't always get noticed right away.

When they signed Murphy, Vic Carucci reported that the signing had no impact on Hughes and Lawson, those guys are firmly in their plans for this coming season. They want the DL to be one of the strongest units on the team. While I understand the cap/money ramifications, trading away one of the best players on the DL (and the team) doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Hughes is very underrated on this board by many.  Thank you for understanding that sacks are just a stat.  Interceptions don't happen on a sack play.

Hughes is far more valuable as a player for the Bills than any trade compensation they woukd receive.  He might fetch a 5th round pick but the Bills probably would have send back a pick with Hughes.

Not worth it.

Giants have us by the balls. If the Bills want #2 pick it will take 4-5 picks this year or three first rounders. 

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

If JPP is only worth a 3rd round pick, why would Hughes be worth more than that in value?  Probably less given his relatively high compensation.

Exactly...

You guys ae way overvaluing Huges.

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

With the trade of jpp...they have a hole or were they making a hole?  

Could Hughes be part of the package we are offering?  

Hughes 12 and 22?  Purely speculation but if we wanted to keep as many draft picks as possible it would make some sense. 

They just got rid of a high priced older DE.....so they want to trade for another?

38 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I know, I just would love if Beane could work out the Bills keeping #22 and still get #2....

i'm hoping if mayfield falls to 4, i would give cleveland next year's 1st. (don't laugh...it would serve them well). we get him, keep all our picks and mcfo nails it. a.j. has a kick ass year and next year have a qb comp.....plus maybe have a huge trade asset.....or a well established 1/2 /3 qb corp.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He only started 1 game under Pettine and was used as an edge rusher.  I don't know that anyone uses a true and strictly 3-4 system anymore and not all 3-4s are like Rex overly exotic concoction.

Hughes is very underrated on this board by many.  Thank you for understanding that sacks are just a stat.  Interceptions don't happen on a sack play.

For the Bills I think Jerry Hughes has been great. I love him for us. For the Colts or the Giants with the DC they have he's not a good fit because they use an elephant position and Jerry can't hold up as a 4 or a 5 or a 6 when they switch back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3.

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

For the Bills I think Jerry Hughes has been great. I love him for us. For the Colts or the Giants with the DC they have he's not a good fit because they use an elephant position and Jerry can't hold up as a 4 or a 5 or a 6 when they switch back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3.

That may be why he didn't start for Pettine.  He isn't viewed as being tall enough.  I think to have a higher value to them he would need to be a starter.

38 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Will it consume his complete salary and leave no dead cap? 

His salary would be paid by the new team unless there are some added stipulations. The amounts left on his prorated signing bonus ($2.8M) and his option bonus ($3M) would be immediately realized for a 2018 dead cap hit of $5.8M. However, it's still less than his current 2018 cap hit of $10.4M, so it would actually free up about ~$4.5M this year and have no future impact on the team. 

The Giants just did this with JPP, and they took a massive $15M dead cap hit this year but actually gained a few million in cap space. They did it to free up space for the future, presumably to deal with the looming OBJ contract. It really wouldn't make any sense for the Giants to take that hit and then take on Hughes salary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

If anything the Giants trading JPP away says to me they could have a high value on Chubb who can stand up and/or put his hand in the dirt and that #2 is probably not for sale.  We'll definitely have to wait and see but it could be the possibility.

It is possible that Hughes is part of a package we offered the Giants and they are mulling whether or not they would rather have him and the picks or Chubb? 

Still, the more I look at the draft, if the Giants don't want a QB at 2 (big if), it is fairly possible that a QB falls to 12, with many of the teams ahead of us set at the position. If not 12, we could trade up to maybe 6 or 7 and get someone. I'd like to keep Hughes and have a good rotation of pass rushers. 

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

It is possible that Hughes is part of a package we offered the Giants and they are mulling whether or not they would rather have him and the picks or Chubb? 

Still, the more I look at the draft, if the Giants don't want a QB at 2 (big if), it is fairly possible that a QB falls to 12, with many of the teams ahead of us set at the position. If not 12, we could trade up to maybe 6 or 7 and get someone. I'd like to keep Hughes and have a good rotation of pass rushers. 

I actually think the Giants trading JPP was also a money move.  Given that, I'd argue they are not going to take on Hughes.  We'll still have to see how this plays out but at this point, I don't see the Giants moving out of 2 unless it at 5 in front of the Colts.  Denver owns that pick but they might like Chubb too unless they take a QB.  Just a lot of variables and situations to think about right now.  Maybe the Giants want to blow this whole thing up and the winning now thing was just smoke, who knows.  They are certainly not one play away and stacking picks could be prudent for them.  But who knows.  

10 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I actually think the Giants trading JPP was also a money move.  Given that, I'd argue they are not going to take on Hughes.  We'll still have to see how this plays out but at this point, I don't see the Giants moving out of 2 unless it at 5 in front of the Colts.  Denver owns that pick but they might like Chubb too unless they take a QB.  Just a lot of variables and situations to think about right now.  Maybe the Giants want to blow this whole thing up and the winning now thing was just smoke, who knows.  They are certainly not one play away and stacking picks could be prudent for them.  But who knows.  

Trading Lawson is trading a 1st round pick, a cheaper 1st round pick. Combine it with 12 and 22, the Giants are getting 3 #1 picks. 

I think they traded JPP and are eyeing Chubb, though.

6 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Trading Lawson is trading a 1st round pick, a cheaper 1st round pick. Combine it with 12 and 22, the Giants are getting 3 #1 picks. 

I think they traded JPP and are eyeing Chubb, though.

If the Giants are switching to a 34 as reported I doubt Lawson would be high on their list.  But certainly agree that Chubb IS high on their board.

Edited by NewEraBills