Was Trent Edwards broken?

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...take three later round guys ala Edwards(3rd), Kaepernick(2nd) and Russell Wilson(3rd)......Edwards had the supposed accolades of the late Bill Walsh and was anointed the starter with Fitz being signed STRICTLY as his backup with zero threat of challenging him....Spent Trent rode the crest (new side burns weekly) until Aneas paid his "welcoming " call...kid didn't seem to have the focus and may have hit the limelight in his mind..and then "the hit"...uh oh.....Kaep enjoyed success early on, but me thinks he lost his focus with his damn "tats and poses" routine.....he was distracted from his purpose of needing to work your arse off 24/7 to be a success at this level.....now we get to Wilson...he goes from NC State to Wisconsin and develops more NFL acclimated skills...comes into the league with "wheels" but eventually learns how to temper his mobility into "when" or even "if".....his ethic is to continually hone his craft and a porous OL has forced him to incur some beatings.....guess my long winded point is that Edwards and Kaepernick got too enthralled with the limelight wheres as Wilson did, does and continually works his arse off in spite of his limelight and successes......

Ironically I dislike Russel Wilson the most

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If it was the hit, then why did he play his best game as a professional the following game against the Chargers?

For me, his decline was simple: defensive coordinators took away the quick interior routes that he lived off of and he couldn't challenge teams down the field.

The long term effects of that hit wouldn't necessarily be evident the following week. He would likely be operating on adrenaline and emotion in his immediate return. It's also likely that subsequent hits would take a much steeper toll as a result of taking that earlier hit than they otherwise would. 

The lingering and cumulative effects would likely hinder him more from a mental aspect as time passed and the effects persisted or worsened.

Obviously we'll never know what might have been but for that hit, but a strong showing the following week is not dispositive evidence that it wasn't a significant factor in his decline.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The long term effects of that hit wouldn't necessarily be evident the following week. He would likely be operating on adrenaline and emotion in his immediate return. It's also likely that subsequent hits would take a much steeper toll as a result of taking that earlier hit than they otherwise would. 

The lingering and cumulative effects would likely hinder him more from a mental aspect as time passed and the effects persisted or worsened.

Obviously we'll never know what might have been but for that hit, but a strong showing the following week is not dispositive evidence that it wasn't a significant factor in his decline.

You hit the proverbial nail!  We don’t fully understand TAU and it’s impact on the brain.  They’re just beginning to see the correlation between neurological brain mapping and CTE, which otherwise could only be detected post-mortem.  His effects, to hear him tell it, was like a bad and confusing hang over that just seemed to get worse and worse.  It’s too easy to ridicule the guy as a player, but much harder to see the human side of it.  It’s just sad.  He’s an immensely likeable guy.  

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

And he almost won is that Monday nighter against Dallas where Romo threw 219 interceptions.  

Yeah, until Trent threw a red-zone pick that turned the game around.

7 minutes ago, DFT said:

Classy.  Let’s hope it never happens to you or anyone you care for.  

I don't think he's laughing about the concussion itself. His point was that this game occurred BEFORE the concussion. He's making fun of people who think that the concussion caused all of Trent's problems.

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I don't think he's laughing about the concussion itself. His point was that this game occurred BEFORE the concussion. He's making fun of people who think that the concussion caused all of Trent's problems.

Yea, no chance.   Let’s just agree to disagree. I understand fans are passionate, but drawing humor from a pre-concussion symptom regarding someone who lives with serious brain damage....    we’re better than this.   Just sayin.

Strangely, my first memory of him is when he was trying to get a first down on a QB sneak, he reached out with the ball as if he were trying to cross the goal line............and they took it away from him. I know what he was trying to do, but it looked more like he was just handing it to them.  :wacko:

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, DFT said:

The meaning of my post was obvious but I'll spell it out for you.

He S U C K E D before the concussion too.  I do not wish him any harm or ill effects from his football playing days.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive. It's possible that he wouldn't have been that great anyway AND that the concussion made him less effective than he'd have been otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive. It's possible that he wouldn't have been that great anyway AND that the concussion made him less effective than he'd have been otherwise. 

Well, the first part is definitely true.  He sucked.  Bad.  As for The second I guess we'll never know.  I hadn't heard he was having health issues.  That is definitely sad.

Thanks, all.  This is the kind of discussion I hoped to have.  I'm not arguing Trent would have been a HoF QB, or that all the problems were the result of the concussion.  Just, to me, there did seem to be very noticible changes, mainly to his decision-making abilities.  If I recall, just before the Arizona game, Trent executed a brilliant 2-minute drill to pull off a comeback win vs. the Raiders.  As we all know after the concussion his two-minute drills were awful, with constant check-downs and horrific clock management.  It just seems like he couldn't think quite as fast as before, and sadly, that will kill a QB.

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I can't think of a worse hit to a qb (important qualifier) in my decades of watching football. 

And I can't think of how anyone regarded Trentative as anything more than a Lower-Middle Class QB during his tenure in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Thanks, all.  This is the kind of discussion I hoped to have.  I'm not arguing Trent would have been a HoF QB, or that all the problems were the result of the concussion.  Just, to me, there did seem to be very noticible changes, mainly to his decision-making abilities.  If I recall, just before the Arizona game, Trent executed a brilliant 2-minute drill to pull off a comeback win vs. the Raiders.  As we all know after the concussion his two-minute drills were awful, with constant check-downs and horrific clock management.  It just seems like he couldn't think quite as fast as before, and sadly, that will kill a QB.

Cool, bring bring it all back next off-season. It's a wonderful topic, filled with nonsense, that this board needs to go over every year.

Now let's talk about how Brian Brohm just never got a real shot.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:56 PM, gobills1212 said:

I always wondered how the dude could go without owning a tv...

I didn't get a TV until I was married.  There was a TV at home I grew up in Blasdell and there was a TV in college lounge but in college only thing I watched was Johnny Carson watching for one of the jokes I got paid for. It was odd I'd get a check for joke I submitted to show and each one had a notice saying all rights to joke belonged to Johnny Carson Productions but they would never tell me WHICH joke.  For a while these were my own mad money in college.

7 hours ago, DFT said:

It already has hence his posts.

7 hours ago, WhoTom said:

So he had a worse game than all pro Tony Romo?