Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh on the Rams' DL - Suh Agrees to a 1-Year Deal with the Rams at $14M

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dont get me wrong, I am still optimistic on Goff, not taking anything away from his sophomore year by any means.   McVay coached the team beautifully to put Goff in a position to succeed.  However, he is always compared to Wentz and they are not in the same conversation IMO...at least not yet of course, kid has plenty of upside still.

But...my biggest concern about the Rams next year is that when teams took away the big play off of short strikes, the offense looked meh.  If Goff and the Rams are going to continue to improve on Offense, its going to need to be less dependent on short plays turning into big plays.  They offense needs more balance in my opinion or it might regress next year.  

Its not that they cant survive losing Watkins, but as much as people like to pile on Sammy here, the truth was he opened up that underneath a LOT as he was drawing the best defenders and even double teams all season.  I am not convinced Woods can still be as effective in a #1 WR role now.  I hope he is and I hope the Rams keep getting better, but I just need to see it before I believe it.  

Wentz on the other hand I saw make a lot more elite throws and big time passes and I feel more confident in his continued growth, even though thats not guaranteed either of course.

Most NFL people acknowledge that Wentz is already pretty close to being an elite qb. In a year or two he is going to be in the discussion as to whether he is the best in the league. What I can comfortably say about Goff is that he is not only now a franchise qb but in the near future he is going to be in the top third ranking of qbs. As a Bills fan all I'm asking is to get a qb who is considered a credible franchise qb. That's substantially more than what we have had in nearly a quarter century. 

Too many people (not necessarily saying you ) take the view that unless you get that special qb you shouldn't bother with upgrading the position. That's not my view and will never be. For one, getting that special prospect is a rare occurrence. What is evident in the NFL is that there are a variety of ways to build a roster and be able to compete. Some teams emphasize defense more than the offense or stress building a superior OL to emphasize the running game. There are a variety of ways to do this that have proven to be successful. But it is rare that any team is a SB contender with a second rate qbing. Jacksonville got far with Bortles but I'm not sure their success is sustainable without an upgrade. 

The point of this post is to stress that it is essential that the Bills come out of this draft with a credible qb prospect. Even if the Bills can't manage to get their most coveted  prospect that doesn't mean that they can't find a reasonable option. If it were up to me I would have selected either Mahomes or Watson last year and be done with this yearly fixation. Securing that position last year and using the extra picks this year would have accelerated the rebuilding process. It's just time now to get this nettlesome issue resolved so that this franchise can move forward. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Because they've gone free agency crazy and basically locked themselves into a 1-2 year window. If they don't win the Super Bowl by 2020 they're screwed. JMO but I'd rather build the team for long-term success than go all in on 2 years like they're doing. In the next couple years they'll be looking to sign Donald, Gurley, Peters, Joyner, and Goff. They will have very little of their own depth to fall back on when some of these players inevitably leave. IMO it will be a salary cap nightmare there before long and I don't think Goff has what it takes to win the Super Bowl, but we'll see.

They will win or get very close.  The NFL will make sure of it.  They need to sell PSLs at that new stadium of theirs.......

I've been saying this for years.  I'm not surprised at all they magically made the playoffs this year.  

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I would trust son of a bum to figure it out. 

Free agent Ndamukong Suh will visit the Raiders on Wednesday.

Suh continues to pack on the frequent flyer miles. He's already met with the Rams, Titans and Saints since his release from Miami last week. The 31-year-old is coming off another fine season that saw him earn PFF's No. 2 run-stopping grade among 79 qualifiers at defensive tackle. Outside of All-Pro Khalil Mack, Oakland's defense was a punching bag last season. He'd be a big get for the Raiders
Mar 20 - 4:27 PM

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's within the rules before communications cut out and any team could do the same.  Goff will have another year of experience in McVay's system which will only make him better. 

I agree, its within the current rule but hardly is it within the spirit and intent of it. 

There were rumblings about how McVay's interpretation may have exposed a loophole...Let's see what the competition committee thinks during the GM meetings.

1 minute ago, pimp on da' net said:

I agree, its within the current rule but hardly is it within the spirit and intent of it. 

There were rumblings about how McVay's interpretation may have exposed a loophole...Let's see what the competition committee thinks during the GM meetings.

There is no spirit of the rule IMO and they didn't propose a rule change for the owners to vote on next week.  So there will be no change for 2018.  

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There is no spirit of the rule IMO and they didn't propose a rule change for the owners to vote on next week.  So there will be no change for 2018.  

When I mention spirit of the rule,  the intent of using the helmet mic was to relay plays into the game as the team's huddle. Allowing this type technology wasn't intended to give an advantage for one side or the other, imo...its on par with how NE used the eligible/ ineligible WR  loophole in the playoff game against Baltimore. It took a few off-season's before it was addressed.

If the committee isn't addressing it this year, so be it. But I  think it's a topic of discussion around the league. McVay addresses the cheating claims.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:55 PM, billsfan11 said:

Really? Wouldn’t he be taking on more double teams/setting the edge more though?

Double teams happen because a combination of two factors.  One: you're a dominant player and opposing coaches are game planning to try and reduce your dominance.  Two, you don't have a dominant player next to you, so the offensive line can afford to shade protection one way.  Suh is going to face some double teams anyway but if opponents do it all the time, Aaron Donald will make them pay.  Also, a one gap 3-4 defense is quite different from a two gap.  A two gap nose tackle mostly has a job description of tying up blockers.  The better they are, the more likely two blockers will be assigned to him.  In a two gap system, the linebackers are the ones who rack up the gaudy stats, simply because the nose tackle is soaking up lots of attention from the offensive line.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Double teams happen because a combination of two factors.  One: you're a dominant player and opposing coaches are game planning to try and reduce your dominance.  Two, you don't have a dominant player next to you, so the offensive line can afford to shade protection one way.  Suh is going to face some double teams anyway but if opponents do it all the time, Aaron Donald will make them pay.  Also, a one gap 3-4 defense is quite different from a two gap.  A two gap nose tackle mostly has a job description of tying up blockers.  The better they are, the more likely two blockers will be assigned to him.  In a two gap system, the linebackers are the ones who rack up the gaudy stats, simply because the nose tackle is soaking up lots of attention from the offensive line.  

Good analysis, thank you

I failed to mention that in a one gap defense, the defensive tackle lines up opposite the space between the offensive linemen.  His primary responsibility is the gap in front of him. If it's a running play, he first has to make sure the running back doesn't go through that gap.  If it is a pass play, he is freer to penetrate the gap and cause disruption in the backfield.  One gap systems tend to give defensive linemen more opportunities to make plays on the ball carrier than does a two gap system.  All thins is my simpleminded understanding of the difference between a one gap system and a two gap system.  I'm sure there are lots of intricacies of which I am unaware.